Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags on Quay St last night!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Pete4779 wrote: »
    yeah it's commonly referred to as the nicest city and a great place to live but only *by the people from Galway*. I did leave actually, because it turned out that the only people who think it's a great place are from there and are obviously blind to the huge social problems in the city and county.

Thats not what you said here Pete4779 >>>>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54843761#post54843761
    Outside of the pale, things are fine. Try visiting Galway for a good dose of Irish culture and friendliness, and with far far less orientation to money. I complain about Galway but TBH there is also a side that is the antithesis of the new-Anglo-Saxon culture of Dublin, and that is great. Dublin is not the definition of Ireland, Irish, culture, or anything like it, unless you believe all the crap spouted by mainstream journalists and Dublin-centric politicians.

I recommend going to Aras na nGael, etc., As a city, Dublin has sold out. The nation is still there despite it, Irish is still the first language of the state, etc., . It's just perspective.

Are you a bit confused a mhac ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

mikom wrote: »
    Thats not what you said here Pete4779 >>>>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54843761#post54843761

Are you a bit confused a mhac ?

Nothing I said there was to do with crime. Galway has plenty of positive points, but regarding the comment on it being a low crime area, I heard that many times and it was entirely at odds with my own observations and also the official reports on crime from Galway city and county.

There is fantastic countryside, but it doesn't mean that the high amount of sexual offences and assaults on those with learning disability don't exist. Likewise, nice pubs doesn't mean that the roads are not in absolute **** condition.

This thread was about scumbags and crime, and someone said the totally misleading comment that Galway had the lowest crime rate in Ireland, which is total bull****. Plenty of other things about Galway are also totally bull**** and many other things are great. Perhaps the cognitive dissonance gets to people there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Perhaps the cognitive dissonance gets to people there!

As it has you

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Settle down now please before this thread derails totally and things get too personal = vacation from the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Galway (west)

Enough said really. 'Galway West' is the City and the Western half of the County.

The point I was making is that Galway City statistically has the lowest crime rate of any city in the country (Dublin City, Cork City, Limerick City and Waterford City).

I wasn't talking about the Galway West Region or the Galway East region and I wasn't comparing either of these Galway regions with other regions throughout the country. I was comparing cities only.

Just as an example to show how Galway City-vs-Galway West can make a big difference in these stats:
    71% of road accidents in the entire County Galway which resulted in death or serious injury were on rural roads. Of the 29% that were on urban roads a fair share would have been in other towns and villages so Galway City (considering the population) has a good record with serious road accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

whoah....i leave for 24 hours and return to find i have spawned a monster....

mentioned it to my Garda friend....he said he would look into it. They're aware that there is a family from a city south-of-here-abouts, on their summer holidays in Galway....charming! potentially could be them.....they made a visit during the Volvo too, guess they got served no questions asked down in the village or could have a flagon or three to their hearts content.

he also said that the gypsy ladies are getting a bit more forward in their behaviour, so if you happen to get surrounded just hang on to your wallet and ask questions later....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

which is actually a ****hole of a town
    Galway has plenty of positive points
    many other things are great

Ah jesus Pete you could at least be consistent :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

when I saw the most random, sickening piece of random violence I think I have ever seen.
    Someone getting punched a couple of times is the most sickening piece of random violence you have ever seen? Get out much?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Every are has social problems, Galway included.

This is a cop-out in my view. This notion that "sure, it could happen anywhere". - the fact is it doesn't, - there are plenty of towns and small cities on the continent and worldover where these kind of random attacks are virtually unheard of. Its not a forgone conclusion that they are common place everywhere. There's heaps of towns abroad wheere I would feel much, much safer walking around than your average town/city in Ireland.

+1 to calling the guards, - even after the event, - by as many people as possible on this. In fairness, if they are aware there is a public problem area they will step up their presence there. The more people that call the guards and the more often they call them, the more aware they become that there is a problem in a particular area. Its when people don't bother reporting things that this sh*t compounds.

These kind of scumbags really sicken me. I'm from Cork and I do hear of this lark as well, - though it does seem quieter here than back when I was growing up, - but then again, I'm not out as much either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

ravendude wrote: »
    This is a cop-out in my view. This notion that "sure, it could happen anywhere". - the fact is it doesn't, - there are plenty of towns and small cities on the continent and worldover where these kind of random attacks are virtually unheard of. Its not a forgone conclusion that they are common place everywhere. There's heaps of towns abroad wheere I would feel much, much safer walking around than your average town/city in Ireland

I'm from south London and believe me, Galway is one of the nicest places you can live. Yes there are fights most nights but in 2 years of drinking excessively I've only got in a couple of fights, none of them serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Was drinking down in the spanish arch in an extended group of about 10 or 12 lads on wednesday night. Me and three other lads were sitting on the steps in front of the museum minding are own business when 2 rather rough looking gentlemen approached us. They walked right up and stood in front of us at which point one of them said "yee have it good lads". We looked back at them and said nothing, at which point the one who talked said to the other "here, leave these lads alone". He had obviously miss calculated and had only then realised that there was 4 of us and 2 of them(he was clearly the brains of the operation). They were, most certainly only looking to cause trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if these were the same lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Popped out for a few random drinks late last night to enjoy the weather and catch up with a few friends.

Why didnt you or your mates ring the Gardai immediately or even try to help? Not having a "go" at you no pun intended just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Thick cnuts,

Jesus, there really is scum in this country. Makes me want to vomit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    74% of statistics are unreliable.Only 4 in 10 know that.

Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

ROFL, Priceless :pac::D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Meh, Galway seems grand enough to me.

I've only had two incidents;

1) Was walking to the Cellar with a friend when we see another guy we knew outside Maloneys, was talking to him when two hobos appear and try to cadge money off us. Started getting threatening and telling us how they'll take our wallets, phones etc. Tried to reason with them but they got increasingly aggressive. Walked into Maloneys and walked out only for them to try and follow us. They were so smashed that they couldn't walk straight and nearly got run over outside Eddie Rockets. Needless to say, their mugging attemps were unsuccesful.

2) Was down the Spanish Arch with a bunch of rowers (around 10 of us) in October. Little kid (around 13) comes up and tries to extort alcohol off me. When he finds out I have no drink moves onto the next guy who gives him a sip of cider only for the kids to run off with the can. Guy shouts after him only for the kid to return (literally) 30 seconds later with around 12 guys. We hear a roar and turn around and the guy who shouted after the kid gets punched repeatedly in the back of the head. His brother was there (cadet in the army) dives in and gets a tooth knocked out, two of us stand up and get kicked in the head (yes they were kickboxers), guy kicks me in the side of the head, I turn around
    "We don't want any trouble".
    "YOU WANT SOME!" *kicks other side of the head*
    the rest of the guys we were with were still in a state of shock but when they started to break bottles and advance on us we legged it.
    Strange experience, most of the lads who attacked us were much scrawnier than the lads I was with, but it's amazing the brain paralysis that happens when you get jumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Meh, Galway seems grand enough to me.

I've only had two incidents;

1) Was walking to the Cellar with a friend when we see another guy we knew outside Maloneys, was talking to him when two hobos appear and try to cadge money off us. Started getting threatening and telling us how they'll take our wallets, phones etc. Tried to reason with them but they got increasingly aggressive. Walked into Maloneys and walked out only for them to try and follow us. They were so smashed that they couldn't walk straight and nearly got run over outside Eddie Rockets. Needless to say, their mugging attemps were unsuccesful.

2) Was down the Spanish Arch with a bunch of rowers (around 10 of us) in October. Little kid (around 13) comes up and tries to extort alcohol off me. When he finds out I have no drink moves onto the next guy who gives him a sip of cider only for the kids to run off with the can. Guy shouts after him only for the kid to return (literally) 30 seconds later with around 12 guys. We hear a roar and turn around and the guy who shouted after the kid gets punched repeatedly in the back of the head. His brother was there (cadet in the army) dives in and gets a tooth knocked out, two of us stand up and get kicked in the head (yes they were kickboxers), guy kicks me in the side of the head, I turn around
    "We don't want any trouble".
    "YOU WANT SOME!" *kicks other side of the head*
    the rest of the guys we were with were still in a state of shock but when they started to break bottles and advance on us we legged it.
    Strange experience, most of the lads who attacked us were much scrawnier than the lads I was with, but it's amazing the brain paralysis that happens when you get jumped.

Theres your problem right there. The Arch has always been a magnet for sh1theads lookin for trouble. Trust me , im goin out in Galway for 16 years and im glad im past the bushin buzz. The Arch was always trouble. Even years ago, it attracted cnuts. It aint a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,490 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

This is typical of the made-up nonsense I experience when living in Galway, which is actually a ****hole of a town, and from videos seemed much ncier in the 1950s.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/crime_justice/current/gardacrimestats.pdf

Manslaughter: (p27): Galway (west) rate is 15th of the 25 areas studied.

Dangerous Driving leading to death: Galway West is 1.66/100000. That is higher than North central and Eastern Dublin Metropolitan (DMR), more than Cork City, North Cork or West Cork. In fact of the 25 regions in the CSO, Galway West ranks 8th highest in the country for dangerous driving leading to death. Look a the stats, it has a higher rate than all of the Dublin metropolitan regions.

Rape: 5th highest rate of the 25 regions in Ireland. That is HUGE. If you add in Galway East and Roscommon (reported as one), Galway + Roscommon have the 3rd highest rate rape per 100000 populaiton in Ireland. safe place, yeah?

Defilement of a boy or girl under 17 years old: (p36) Galway has the highest incidents of this in the whole country; I suppose you have to be number one at something. Wow, what a fantastic place to have children, isn't it. The highest reported difilements of minors per population in the whole country. What an achievement.

Sexual offences involving a mentally impaired person: (p37) Once again, Galway leads the pack and has the highest rate in the country.

Non-aggravated sexual assaults: an improvement. Galway West ranks as 18th of 25. Not the safest place in the country, but an improvement as long as you are not actually being raped or mentally impaired.

Other assaults: middle of the road, 12th in the country (p49)

Dangerous driving causing serious bodily harm: Galway is number 1 in the country, with Dublin metropolitan area West. Well done Galway and your second (or is it third) highest rate of a crime per population in Ireland!!! (p56)

In charge of a vehicle while under influence of drugs: Galway ranks as the 7th highest rate of this crime out of the 25 areas studied. (p58)

rate of Abandonement causing child neglect: keeping up it's "low crime" image, Galway ranks as 7th in the country again for this out of 25 areas. Keep it up boys! Sure isn't it the safest place in Ireland, to be sure!

You get the idea. Out of 25 areas that are reported on by the CSO, galway is:

5th highest of 25 for endangering road traffic incidents
    13th of 25 for non-aggravated burglarly offences
    12th for vehicle theft
    9th of 25 for theft from person incidents
    10th of 25 for theft from shops

Basically, people in galway live in fantasy land. It has slightly higher than average crime, but particularly high rates for rape and defielment of minors.

Now, lets forget about facts and concentrate on bigging up the next town over from boston.

wtf? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I like Galway. It's very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sorry off topic but Sandor, that's the coolest sig on Boards!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

rarnes1 wrote: »
    wtf? :rolleyes:

Someone said that Galway was the safest place in Ireland. I took it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Someone said that Galway was the safest place in Ireland. I took it personally.

Actually no, I said it was the safest city in Ireland, not the safest place. You must have mis-read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 forpaddyde

KevR wrote: »
    I would disagree with the bit in bold. I think a visible presence on the streets prevents a lot of trouble. Last year in when I went to New York it stuck out to me how little CCTV they have (comapred to London or even Dublin and Galway) but there was always a large presence of officers patrolling the streets; there were officers at every second street corner almost. As a result it seemed incredibly safe. I didn't see any trouble and it was always reassuring to know that if you did get into any bother there would be police officers very close by.

CCTV is very important also. It acts as a deterrent, can provide evidence and can alert the Gardai to situations they may not otherwise be aware of.

I know if I was getting attacked I would rather there were lots of Gardai out on the streets that could help me quickly rather than someone sitting in a CCTV control room watching me have 9 bags of ****e kicked out of me from several different angles. That's if I had to choose between the two; obviously we can and should have both.

Wrong, CCTV doesn't act as a deterrent, not imo anyway.
    If anything it makes it worse, because CCTV is replacing physical manpower(policepower) on the street. That, and the fact that mostly only main streets are covered, so a scumbag can get away with anything on a side street, and a lot on a main street. I think the scumbag thinks knows he can get away with it. More guards is the only solution.
    Get rid of the CCTV.
    Wouldn't be surprised if there was no-one monitoring them at all.
    "There a deterrent" and all that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rusty nail

forpaddyde wrote: »
    Wrong, CCTV doesn't act as a deterrent, not imo anyway.
    If anything it makes it worse, because CCTV is replacing physical manpower(policepower) on the street. That, and the fact that mostly only main streets are covered, so a scumbag can get away with anything on a side street, and a lot on a main street. I think the scumbag thinks knows he can get away with it. More guards is the only solution.
    Get rid of the CCTV.
    Wouldn't be surprised if there was no-one monitoring them at all.
    "There a deterrent" and all that....
    And who's watching " The Watchers?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I've been living in Galway since '96 and could count on 2 hands the number of incidents I've seen.
    I lived in Galway for less than a year and I witnessed a shocking amount of loutish behaviour and random violence.

The worst event was when I saw a homeless man who was minding his own business getting set upon by three yobs. If I hadn't approached the thugs, they could have kicked this guy to death. Luckily they came after me and ran after me giving the poor homeless chap a chance to escape.

I like Galway, but to deny there's a serious problem with violence and anti-social behaviour is pure self-delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Steoob wrote: »
    To be fair the kid shouldn't have humoured the scumbag. Just ignore them til they **** off, thats the only way to treat them IMO.
    The only way is to organize ourselves and fire them out of this planet one night. Every scumbag should become public enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

WooPeeA wrote: »
    The only way is to organize ourselves and fire them out of this planet one night. Every scumbag should become public enemy.

Here here.

No one should entertain these bastards. As soon as they start anything you need to get stuck in. They are only fcukin animals and need to be treated like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

Unfortunately this anti-social behaviour is everywhere and getting worse. There is very little that can be done and the Garda are powerless due to human rights and PC bulls**te..!

I lived in Derry for 14 years and there was a very effective system called "Community Policing" in operation. In this circumstance the scumbag would have been identifed and dealt with accordingly. Depending on the nature of the behaviour there were a number of options open. 1. Warning 2. Punishment Beating 3. Kneecapping 4. Excommunication 5. Disappeared

Now due to the peace process this system has had to be shelved unfortunately giving the scumbags no impedance to their activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭galwaybob

Unfortunately this anti-social behaviour is everywhere and getting worse. There is very little that can be done and the Garda are powerless due to human rights and PC bulls**te..!

I lived in Derry for 14 years and there was a very effective system called "Community Policing" in operation. In this circumstance the scumbag would have been identifed and dealt with accordingly. Depending on the nature of the behaviour there were a number of options open. 1. Warning 2. Punishment Beating 3. Kneecapping 4. Excommunication 5. Disappeared

Now due to the peace process this system has had to be shelved unfortunately giving the scumbags no impedance to their activity.

Good stuff.

Perhaps this model could be adapted for Galway if a group of likeminded individuals came together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Good stuff indeed... "Community policing" is a very pretty way of describing organised gangs of dangerous and violent bottom-feeders with a sense of self-importance stemming from paramilitary involvement. Community policing my arse. More likely to be a gang of drunken pricks who will use a phrase like "community policing" as a justification for beating the living daylights out of any young fella that looks at them the wrong way.

Advertisement