Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags on Quay St last night!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

In the argument about the use of the word knacker, I think a more appropriate word would be a skanger or as they call them in Glasgow - Ned! meaning non-educated-delinquent. Having lived in Galway for fifteen years and in Glasgow for most of my life before that, Galway is a peace loving village compared to Glasgow. Tollcross, Parkhead, Barrafield, Lyliebank, Cranhill, Easterhouse... Glasgow has some of the biggest shower of scumbags, but saying that, Glasgow is also one of the best places in Scotland to visit. just be aware and hang about with someone that knows the city, large parts of the East End would be out of bounds but you can plainly see this by the state of the housing estates. Going off topic there, there is rough places in Galway, Spanish Arch after 11pm is a dumb place to go or possibly Westside. Ballybane etc...

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Ultimately we as a society need to realise that scumbags are not humans, therefore human rights do not apply to them.

They should be electronically tagged and prevented from leaving their native ghetto (Rahoon, Castlepark etc).
    A programme of mass sterilisation would ensure our children and our children's children can live free of this filth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Bodhrandude, I use skanger a lot myself:P Ned sounds good, I'll have to try that one out.

Svalbard, have to take issue and defend Rahoon a bit:D Do you know it is quite a big area? Some estates are a bit dodge, true, but many parts not. Like City Centre, it also contains some of the 1m houses too... not to say they aren't full of Neds sometimes...(gave it a try there, see that! ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 sparklingdude

Greaney wrote: »
    actually, my son is unbeaten in the ring and does mixed marshal arts, he was sucker punched...

I too am in to the old MMA, and could take any scumbag in town - be they ned, knack, chav, or skang. However, I don't like to go up against a lad with a knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Another bunch of scumbags in the city again. I was waiting for the bus at Eyre Square, beside me, on the grass, few young people from italy or india (they had that kind of skin) were having good time, eating, laughing and enjoying Sunday's afternoon like everyone else there. One of the scumbags came to them and started to yell "Get out of my country you %$#$. Take the train right now and get out, it's my country!" making their meeting much nicer. It was a good advertisement for tourists who were lucky enough to witness that to make them come back as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 sparklingdude

What did they look like? Do tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

inisboffin wrote: »
    Bodhrandude, I use skanger a lot myself:P Ned sounds good, I'll have to try that one out.

inisboffin. You just had the mother of all conniptions when the Yank asked innocently if we meant scumbags or Travellers when people said knackers and accused him of prejudice and now you're discussing which slang term you prefer.
    I think he was fairly spot on in all his assumptions. It seems you're goin off at him because he's American.
    Reminds me of a section of our society who are ignorant racists and then scream discrimination all the time.

whineflu wrote: »
    inisboffin. You just had the mother of all conniptions when the Yank asked innocently if we meant scumbags or Travellers when people said knackers and accused him of prejudice and now you're discussing which slang term you prefer.
    I think he was fairly spot on in all his assumptions. It seems you're goin off at him because he's American.
    Reminds me of a section of our society who are ignorant racists and then scream discrimination all the time.

He introduced himself, in fairness as an 'Ignorant American':rolleyes:
    I had no problem with his country of origin (which he later retracted, you'll note, and claimed Irishness). What I had the problem with was him making sweeping derogatory comments about a group of people.

So what exactly are you giving out to me about now?
    Which minority am I specifically offending with the term 'Neds' or 'Skanger'?
    I went on good authority that it just means 'person of unscrupulous reputation', and NOT a slur on a racial group or any member specifically of the Travelling community.

So go ahead, agree with the man who thinks there are no black people living in Ireland and that all Travellers are thieves and 'inbred'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Going a bit off topic there lads.

You're right, sorry.

A scumbag is a scumbag :)

Last few days relatively scumbag free for me, then again we were taking it easy and not in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

Do scumbags know that they're scumbags????

I'm afraid I may be one without realising it!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

inisboffin wrote: »
    So go ahead, agree with the man who thinks there are no black people living in Ireland and that all Travellers are thieves and 'inbred'.

Are you trying to state my point of view for me? I'd say the Yank believes the second thing you said there based on what he's heard since he's been here. I think he is voicing societies view more than his own. And you're giving out to him for doing it. That's all I'm saying. You can't change societies opinion on the Travellers behalf.
    But yeah this is getting totally off topic.

Whineflu I would have a response, trust me, but we've all agreed we are off topic so I am walking away from this one. ;)

Advertisement