Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPv6 connectivity is limited

Options
  • 25-06-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi all,

Just upgraded to UPC 20mb. it works fine on a new vista laptop, and xbox360.

But! i can't connect the nintendo wii, a linux laptop; and internet on Windows Vista desktop is PAINFULLY slow! I'm waiting 2 mins between clicks. it took me 6 mins or so to get to this forum from the start page.

I checked the settings and all i can see is that the IPv6 connectivity is limited. The spec on this pc isn't the best (only 2gb of ram for example). I have full bars on the signal, and i'm in the same room as the router.

i'll supply any more info if anyone can help me. (in lay mans terms pleeeease!)

thank you so much!

n xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

ni ni wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just upgraded to UPC 20mb. it works fine on a new vista laptop, and xbox360.

But! i can't connect the nintendo wii, a linux laptop; and internet on Windows Vista desktop is PAINFULLY slow! I'm waiting 2 mins between clicks. it took me 6 mins or so to get to this forum from the start page.

I checked the settings and all i can see is that the IPv6 connectivity is limited. The spec on this pc isn't the best (only 2gb of ram for example). I have full bars on the signal, and i'm in the same room as the router.

i'll supply any more info if anyone can help me. (in lay mans terms pleeeease!)

thank you so much!

n xx
    IPv6 isn't implemented yet, all you should be concerned about is the IPv4 connectivity.

Do the following:

Turn off all devices including your PC, black modem and white router.

Turn on the black router > Wait 30 seconds > Turn on the white router > Wait 30 seconds > Turn on the PC > Let it load fully.

Now, see if that makes an improvement for you. Sometimes your network just needs a reboot. And the slowness is caused by your computer, Vista is quite bloated so I suggest you follow this guide in order to speed it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ni ni

thank you very much cpu.

i've rebooted and waited thirty seconds to a minute a few times over the last 2 weeks trying to solve it. I'll post back after i've followed the advice in the guide you've given me. But i never had these issues on the 3mb Eircom that why i think it is a connectivity problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

thank you very much cpu.

i've rebooted and waited thirty seconds to a minute a few times over the last 2 weeks trying to solve it. I'll post back after i've followed the advice in the guide you've given me. But i never had these issues on the 3mb Eircom that why i think it is a connectivity problem.
    Well if you connect up directly to the black modem with the yellow cable and still can't get online - contact UPC because there may be a line issue or outage in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

thank you very much cpu.

Disable IPv6 by doing the following:

Click the start button -> type Network and Sharing and it should find the Network and Sharing Center application. Open this up and along the left hand side of the window you should see an option called Manage network connections. Click on that and it'll open another window in here you'll see a list of network cards in your machine. You should probably just disable IPv6 on both your wireless and wired network card. So if you right click on one of them and select the Properties option it'll open up another window. In here find the entry for IPv6....it'll be called Internet Protocol Version 6 and untick the check box beside it. It's the same procedure for both network cards.

Let us know if this improves things any. Also run a speed test and post the results. www.speedtest.net should sort you out for that.

Advertisement