Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Portlaoise

Options
  • 25-06-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Anyone name a decent Restaurant in Portlaoise... not too formal.. where a certain sonic_exyouth can bring his mother to celebrate her 50th?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

If she's into indian food the kingfisher is fantastic.
    Egans pub does lovely food aswell but its mental busy for sunday lunch.
    The mile bush pub at fairgreen does one of the best sunday lunches I've ever had.
    The chinese take away on the mountmellick rd, oriental city, has a restaurant too. Ive never eaten in there but I've never had a bad take away.
    Eh, what else, the indian prince up in kilminchy (turn right at the very first roundabout up at the texaco)is gorgeous and the pub around the corner from it does fantastic food too.
    Spago's italian restaurant and the foundry steakhouse (both at the heritage hotel) do great food too but sometimes the service in the foundry can be a bit and miss- sometimes its great and other times you can be waiting ages for a drink and your food.
    Thats all i can think of. I'd love to hear other peoples recommendations too cos I'd love to try out some new spots with the missus

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

adser53 wrote: »
    If she's into indian food the kingfisher is fantastic.
    Egans pub does lovely food aswell but its mental busy for sunday lunch.
    The mile bush pub at fairgreen does one of the best sunday lunches I've ever had.
    The chinese take away on the mountmellick rd, oriental city, has a restaurant too. Ive never eaten in there but I've never had a bad take away.
    Eh, what else, the indian prince up in kilminchy (turn right at the very first roundabout up at the texaco)is gorgeous and the pub around the corner from it does fantastic food too.
    Spago's italian restaurant and the foundry steakhouse (both at the heritage hotel) do great food too but sometimes the service in the foundry can be a bit and miss- sometimes its great and other times you can be waiting ages for a drink and your food.
    Thats all i can think of. I'd love to hear other peoples recommendations too cos I'd love to try out some new spots with the missus

Wow.. thanks.

Ever heard of Seasons?
    http://www.findarestaurant.ie/restaurantfoodbeverage.asp?restID=2558&foodID=42011

My mother hates Indian, and will be going to a chinese with her other offspring - so it's something else I was after. But thats still great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Hi, were you intending to go mid-week or weekend?

I think the Seasons would be great for a 50th meal.
    It offers the usual choices, i.e. steak / fish, and also offers an exotic choice, last week it was zebra or rabbit!

For a more relaxed mid-week meal I would recommend Egans, it wouldn't be busy at all, they only have a mad lunch time rush!

Last suggestion would be O'Gormans in Kilminchy, it does traditional food but has a better atmosphere than Egans.

Essentially what I think is:
    Weekend - Seasons (If its a small group)
    Mid-week - Egans
    Anytime - O' Gormans (Better for a bigger group)

Diamond007 wrote: »
    Hi, were you intending to go mid-week or weekend?

I think the Seasons would be great for a 50th meal.
    It offers the usual choices, i.e. steak / fish, and also offers an exotic choice, last week it was zebra or rabbit!

For a more relaxed mid-week meal I would recommend Egans, it wouldn't be busy at all, they only have a mad lunch time rush!

Last suggestion would be O'Gormans in Kilminchy, it does traditional food but has a better atmosphere than Egans.

Essentially what I think is:
    Weekend - Seasons (If its a small group)
    Mid-week - Egans
    Anytime - O' Gormans (Better for a bigger group)

Wow.. It's weekend, frida evening to be exact.
    It'll only be two of us.
    Each of her kids are taking her out for a one on one meal, and there will be a suprise BBQ from her family in my back garden this very Saturday..

.. I'm not getting home till 10.30 because of overtime atm, and looked out last night at the wilderness that is my garden, and decided last night that it was probably going to be the last chance I would have to cut it before the secret guests arrived, well that or tonight. So, despite the pending twilight, I decided needs are as needs must and decided to get it cut.
    Wow I'm an idiot.
    One neighbour reminded me of the lateness, so I stopeed.
    Another knocked at my door to be sure I'd finished because I was upsetting her children.
    Another called from their window, as I was putting out the recyle bin before hitting the hey, if I was finished.
    I apologised to them all, but if my manic mowing at midnight (well, close enough to it) offended anyone else, I apologise.
    Now I've got to BBQ on a semi-cut garden.. could be fun.

Diamond007 wrote:

That's the place I was talking about and couldn't remember the name :) Thanks diamond

I never heard of seasons.....must give it a go. Might surprise the missus tomorrow night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Def recommend seasons little bit pricey but def wort it for your mam:)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

Yeah Seasons is fab, went there a few weeks ago and had a lovely meal.

Back from Seasons - Had the chicken breast.

Wonderful! Absolutely beautiful. Yeah, its a bit pricey, but seriously worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

I had a delicious meal in The Kingfisher last night. I can't speak highly enough of the place. Great food & great service. However Indian food is not to everyones taste.

I used to like Spagos but every time I rang to make a reservation I was told they're full. They also don't like it when you just turn up. So despite their good food, I've given up on them.

The Royal China, opposite the cinema, is a very nice Chinese. Very reasonable too.

I actually have little experience of any restaurants in Portlaoise that aren't of some ethnicity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

Back from Seasons - Had the chicken breast.

Wonderful! Absolutely beautiful. Yeah, its a bit pricey, but seriously worth it!

Glad u enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

OK.. so it's not actually a restaurant.. went to get chips last night, but the chippers were closed.
    The only fast food place in that little strip was ZamZams, so, I bought a Kebab.
    Tastiest Kebab I've had in some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

OK.. so it's not actually a restaurant.. went to get chips last night, but the chippers were closed.
    The only fast food place in that little strip was ZamZams, so, I bought a Kebab.
    Tastiest Kebab I've had in some time!

Really, i got one a couple of weeks ago (after reading reviews here) and i didnt think twas great. Granted, i was after a fair bit of liquid, but that should only make it tastier no? I always say though, give a place a second chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Ashlynn

Ok im probably having a blonde moment :D but where abouts is Season's? H2b's birthday is coming up & we could do with a night out (for me too I wouldn't have to cook :p).

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Top square in portlaoise behind the shrine there is a pub on the left called Donaghues, it's just over the pub entrance is on the left hand side of the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 druminch

in the mile bush today had a 6 ounce steak wife had a chicken fillet + a pot of tea for 2 total cost 35.40 euro chicken fillet 16.95 6oz steak 15.95 tea 2.50 a rip off

:eek: that's pretty pricey for, essentially, barfood. You'd pay that in a proper restaurant. In fairness to the furry bush though, anytime I've eaten in there the food has been delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ash Blake

Its 1 of the best indian I have ever had n with a great service (very friendly staff) 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sandrat

I think Mayur is a far superior Indian to Kingfisher to be honest. Absolutely love seasons. ate in Spagos once after finally getting a table and it was horrible I had Pizza and the base was burnt but topping was cold - disgusting. I like the food and service in the mile bush but it is a little pricey. Ate in Kelly's foundry twice first time was lovely 2nd time was terrible. Best italian in laois is the one at the heritage in killenard Sol oriens i think it is called

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

sandrat wrote: »
    I think Mayur is a far superior Indian to Kingfisher to be honest.

+1.
    ate in Spagos once after finally getting a table and it was horrible.

Same. Although, I've eaten there twice. Horrible both times.
    Ate in Kelly's foundry twice first time was lovely 2nd time was terrible.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭joe_dunne

Before the weekend I was in Kelly's twice, the first time was good the second was crap.

After a few drinks in the town we went again and had a really good meal, it was pricey but the service and the food was really good.

I guess this means out next visit will be rubbish. :)

JoeSamurai & Ninja Martial Arts in Portlaoise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I was in the lemon tree with my boyfriend over the weekend and we both really
    enjoyed it. Exellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

Bit of a distance out but myself and the bf tried Sol Oriens(Heritage Killinard) recently.

I love italian and he loves steak, previous we'd tried Spage and Kelly's but one of us is always sort of let down, so an italian restaurant and steakhouse was perfect :-D

Food was excellent. Lovely looking place. Friendly efficient staff. All win!

It's our new favourite restaurant and we'll be making the effort to travel that bit further from now on.

In portlala town I guess Kelly's still wins for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Hate Spagos so much. Horrible, horrible food. Sol Oriens is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭r011ingthunder

Absolutely love seasons.

Had a really delicious meal here last night. Cannot rate the grub highly enough. Service was excellent, and whilst very friendly wasn't intrusive. Price was reasonable, roughly €35 per head for 2, not including a nice bottle of red. My first time there, and definitely will not be my last.
    I had:
    Veg Soup (of the day): Generous portion, and really delicious.
    Sirloin 10oz: This was just superb, no other word for it.
    Rhubarb Compote: Perfect ending.
    Large appetite sated without wallet being emptied.... nice.

Seasons Restaurant
    24a Market Square
    Portlaoise
    057 868 0809

Apologies for doubling posting but couldn't decide which thread it was best posted in.

Tried Seasons recently having heard all the hype. Have to say I was very disappointed. No better than anywhere else in Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Personally think Seasons is rotten, been there a few times now with different groups and its never been nice, i think if you go there as a couple people seem to rave about it, in a large-ish group it tends to be rank. Last time ordered Salmon, it arrived on bed of cous cous and thats it. Nothing else, fork ful of salmon, forkful of cous cous, hhmm bored of it now. Also as its small and groups tend to get split up at two tables, they serve one table first and every time so far, one table is finished long before the other will have even recieved their desert. Hate that.

Love spagos, but its so hit and miss it drives me crazy, when its good its excellent, when its bad it terrible, last time we were there we walked out as we were waiting over an hour for a desert menu, when it finally arrived after asking for it for the third time, they never came back to take the order, this was when two staff members were sitting down chatting with other diners. Not to mention that it took 45mins to get our dinner in the first place. Saying that the time before that everything, food,service was amazing. You cant win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Antilles wrote: »
    Hate Spagos so much. Horrible, horrible food. Sol Oriens is the way to go.

Is Sol Oriens an Italian? If so where is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Has anyone been to Spagos lately? Went there with the OH a few weeks ago and was disgusted with the service. We asked for water when we sat down and the waiter was to busy flirting with the pretty girls sitting beside us, we got to order 25 mins after we arrived and then the food all came on top of each other. Also the noise level in the place was shocking, came out with a head ache!

• Advertisement

gogo wrote: »
    Is Sol Oriens an Italian? If so where is it?

Yes. It's in the Heritage Killenard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement