Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book recommendations?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

sooooo... I discovered that my 7 year old has found and been reading one of my old pregnancy books, which contains a section on "sex during pregnancy" complete with diagrams :o . I'm mortified.... I didn't think I'd have to address this quite so soon:(. Given that there could be all sorts of strange ideas going through her little head now I guess I've got to bite the bullet, have "the talk" of sorts and give her some factual information that she will understand without going overboard. I have some time with her next week when her brother isn't around so I'll do it then. Some back up reading material would be good so if any of you have any recommendations can you point me in the right direction? Her reading skills are well above her real age and she has a sensible little head on her shoulders so she should cope well enough with this (I think/ hope).

Any advice on how to address the issue of her possibly talking to her brother/ friends about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

:eek: OMG, 7 is young, but you can't leave her hanging either.

I can't say regarding reading material, but about talking to other children tell her that Mammies and Daddies tell their own children when they are ready to know so she is not to tell them, thats parents job etc. At 7 (I have a 7 year old boy) I would be hopping mad (being honest here) if another 7 year old started filling my son in on the facts of life.

Could I also suggest that you give her only as much information as you have to? I know girls are more advanced but this is a big issue to have to deal with at 10, never mind 7!!! How about just letting her ask questions and if she asks for a book (or you can offer it) then go about buying one together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    :eek: OMG, 7 is young, but you can't leave her hanging either.

I know it is young....:( I don't know for sure that she looked at "that" part of the book either... but I don't know that she didn't either . She had taken it up to her room though and was reading it secretly so I don't know how long she's had it for. She was saying about 3 days ago that she remembered me breastfeeding her brother so I think she must have had the book then. I'm thinking of maybe looking at the pregnancy diagrams in the book ie different stages of growth and see what questions arise so maybe I'll be able to judge what parts she's already seen and then have my answers ready lol :P But I won't be opening "that" section!
    I remember knowing how babies were made when I was 8, having figured a lot out from reading the problem pages in my mothers "woman's way". I do remember thinking that it was something I wasn't supposed to know about yet and feeling a bit burdened by it all :( but I wouldn't have dreamt of mentioning it to my siblings or friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.crisispregnancy.ie/parentresource.html
    http://www.crisispregnancy.ie/BusyBodies_eng.pdf

If you text/email them they will send you out the booklets and the dvd.
    To order a copy of the Booklet, FreeText BUSY plus your name and address to 50444.

So clarly she wants to know maybe she has already heard things.
    I would suggest having a series of conversations with her rather then 1 big chat costhere are things she doesn't need to know yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thanks Thaedydal,
    I had a look at the book pdf there and though I think it's too much for her now it will definitely be useful as a resource for the next few years.
    hmmm.. I think maybe a short casual chat about babies growth in the womb and I'll just play it by ear, prepared ear, from there.
    :o

Advertisement