Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trademen still as unreliable as ever

• 25-06-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Over the years I have used tradesmen and they always amazing me with the way they work. The sometimes stop turning up after doing some work or simply never ever arrive after agreeing to. They make appointments to give quotes and never turn up. The don't finish work and then expect to be paid for the full job before the finish. I have never lost money other than time off work but even with the building trade apparently in tatters they are still at it. I just don't get it. One plumber has broken 3 appointments to give a quote. It just amazes me how they can function this way. They have definitely lost income from their behaviour. So anybody know what they are thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

They're thinking "eatthepuddingetathepuddingeatthepudding"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Car servicing is even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

ring another plumber, they might be glad of your custom. if the other plumber turns up tell him/her that you switched from them due to insufficient service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Are you talking about real tradesmen or Irish tradesmen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Up the tradesman!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Are you talking about real tradesmen or Irish tradesmen?

Exactly. Ireland is the land of half-assery.

Rather than expecting people to turn up on time to do a job/deliver something/ whatever, i'm actually genuinely surprised when they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Polish all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

If you're not getting the service, change the provider. You can't paint everyone with the same brush just because you've dealt with some arseholes.

I know alot of very good tradesmen, sure there are cowboys aswell but you'll get that in every profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's good to see that the recession hasn't effected standards, they remain consistently low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

bleg wrote: »
    ring another plumber, they might be glad of your custom. if the other plumber turns up tell him/her that you switched from them due to insufficient service.

They don't turn up when you ring them for a quote. The point is they don't seem happy for the business.
    This is the 2nd plumber for a quote that hasn't turned up and I suspect the 3rd won't turn up either given it took me 4 electricians and the one who did it hasn't come back to finish the job and won't answer his phone! I might need to get another electrician to finish the work at this point. It was like this before the boom and only marginally worse during but the prices were astronomical then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

If you're not getting the service, change the provider. You can't paint everyone with the same brush just because you've dealt with some arseholes.

I know alot of very good tradesmen, sure there are cowboys aswell but you'll get that in every profession.

I have used well over 50 different tradesmen over the years on different projects and they all have had "diary" issues with no exception. So my experience is all I am stating I just can't understand it. Everyone I know has similar experiences so I am giving them the benefit of the doubt by assuming they have some tradesman reason.
    Tradesmen I know simply say it is down to the job that pays the most and they never drop a cheap job for an expensive one but "bad" tradesmen do. Yet in the past when I past on their numbers to people they were at the same stuff. I never recommend a tradesman to anybody as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Jesus don't get me started. The most inefficient, unprofessional shower of gob****es to ever walk the earth.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

We did actually have a great electrician there a while back. He came and sorted out the problem he was meant to fix, and then noticed another potentially dangerous situation, rang me and said he'd fix it up for free seen as he was there already.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Again it varies so much. A friend of mine does any plumbing I need at a mates for rates. Same for a mechanic mate of mine. The Gf is good friends with an electrician. And a friend of mine is an engineer so between us we usually sort out anything else thats needed :D

But you will come across all sorts out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The only thing that interests me about tradesmen is their entrance.

Oh wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Guys who work in the "trades" are all the same. I think its bred into them while servicing their time. They are all lazy ****ers, who seem to think they work harder than everyone else when in fact they carry out the least amount of work as possible and then attempt to "confuse" you with their insider knowledge.

The problem with these guys is that they earned to much money in the past and I for one am delighted that is slowly changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Smart Bug wrote: »
    They're thinking "eatthepuddingetathepuddingeatthepudding"

you misspelt the second eat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Again it varies so much. A friend of mine does any plumbing I need at a mates for rates.

Rates for mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

All they do is drink tea and eat biscuits all day long :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Again it varies so much. A friend of mine does any plumbing I need at a mates for rates. Same for a mechanic mate of mine. The Gf is good friends with an electrician. And a friend of mine is an engineer so between us we usually sort out anything else thats needed :D

But you will come across all sorts out there.

and what the F*ck do you offer? those poor lot got the short straw i think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

im a plumber and always turn up when i say i will....... as well as some pf my friends that are tradesmen!!!!! but then again ya get a few bogies in every line of work!!!!!!!!! the recession will get rid of the cowboys!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭irisheddie

Mario and Luigi ftw!!

Advertisement