Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest website design programmes

Options
  • 25-06-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I imagine this question has been asked many times before, so please just forward me to another thread if necessary. :-)

Some friends of mine are interested in setting up a website without it costing the earth - preferably gratis! The website will look something like this:
    http://cineuropa.org/index.aspx?lang=en
    but a little less complex.
    There will be images and videos posted on the site, as well as text.

Could someone here please post up a list of five of the cheapest programmes available that are suitable for novices?

Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Joomla or Drupal are both decent free CMS programs should help

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ciaobellaciao1

yoyo wrote: »
    Joomla or Drupal are both decent free CMS programs should help

Nick

Cool, thanks. I forgot to mention that the site will also feature a forum. Do these programs offer that feature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Cool, thanks. I forgot to mention that the site will also feature a forum. Do these programs offer that feature?

PHPBB is free, and vBulletin is about €150.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can download forum modules for either yep, also they have community modules so you can have a "Facebook" type community setup all integrated into the site, I think Joomla might be the better option for this

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 littlegreenman

I'd second Joomla. I can't comment on Drupal as I haven't used it before. Typo3 I've found to be a bit more complicated to get setup.

Whatever you pick you need one that is constantly being updated / patched and improved upon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

phpBB is a decent forum system which plugs into Joomla, or it did the last time I looked.

Drupal has it's own built-in (deactivated by default) forum but I don't know how good it is.

For any of these you'll need to ftp files to a server. Use filezilla .
    You'll also need to set up a (MySQL, most likely) database for a content management system but this isn't as hard as it sounds. Ask your host nicely and they'll do it for you.

You'll need a unique template if you're going to be taken seriously, and templates are complex enough. I'd say go for a free one that sets the right tone, then make original logos, etc.

One thing that can't be stressed enough, do all your development off-line.
    Use xampp or something like it to host all the stuff on your computer until it's perfect. Then and only then should you release.

When looking for a CMS, and a template, try and get one that is accessible or one that has valid XHTML and CSS. these are things that will help your search engine results.

Advertisement