Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract automatically cancelled when porting?

• 25-06-2009 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

I've about 3 months left on my 3 contract. I want to buy an iPhone tomorrow. As part of the porting procedure is my 3 contract automatically terminated or do I have to ring 3 before this?

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You will have to pay the remaining three months before you will be allowed to port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Thanks Tom. I don't mind doing that. My only worry is that if I do that and they terminate my contract, then my phone number will get 'lost' and so I won't be able to port. Can I port my number over later that day (or possibly next week) or does it have to be at the time of buying the phone? Thanks again for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

joerules wrote: »
    Thanks Tom. I don't mind doing that. My only worry is that if I do that and they terminate my contract, then my phone number will get 'lost' and so I won't be able to port. Can I port my number over later that day (or possibly next week) or does it have to be at the time of buying the phone? Thanks again for your help.

my understanding of how its works is that you will port over to O2 and they will takeover your number and send the termination notice to your current provider. Your current provider will then send you a final bill for outstanding amount due under contract.

p.s. I hope you have your iPhone prebooked!

That is what my understanding of it is. I'll find out anyway. Cheers.

I thought they said on TalkO2 that there was no prebooking process ;) I did do a prebook or pre-register but I'll still queue up at the store tomorrow just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

my understanding of how its works is that you will port over to O2 and they will takeover your number and send the termination notice to your current provider. Your current provider will then send you a final bill for outstanding amount due under contract.

p.s. I hope you have your iPhone prebooked!
    This.

• Advertisement

Just to update everyone on this. After over 24 hours my number was finally ported over to O2. I got a final message from 3 saying to call them about some charges that are due (will have to pay out the end of my contract I assume). Fingers crossed the lovely customer care people in India will be nice and efficent when it comes to my final 3 bill :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

joerules wrote: »
    Fingers crossed...:

... and toes. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

3 are efficient enough with charging for the unused months and issuing final bills. The sly text must be a new feature.
    I remember killing a VF contract by porting to o2, I have never to this day received a final bill form VF.

Advertisement