Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route to christchurch

Options
  • 25-06-2009 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Well. Myself and one of my friends got sorted with jobs in New Zealand:D. We have to get to christchurch by mid october. We both will have finished up work here in ireland by the middle of august so can leave any time after that. What routes could we travel to on the way and maybe spend a few weeks in a few different countries. The lad were going working for sugested flying to sydney and spending a few weeks there. Any advice or experiences you people have from your travels would be great!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

We went Cork->London->Singapore->Christchurch

From Singapore we did about 3 months around south east Asia. From Singapore you can pretty much fly anywhere in Asia and it is fairly cheap. Air Asia for example will only cost 30 euro or so each to fly to bangkok about an hour and a half flight.

For about 80 or so euro you could fly anywhere in south east Asia from Singapore.

You want wildlife? Go to Sabah Borneo, class but more expensive than you think do the Mt. Kinalabu climb if you are fairly fit!
    You want ancient ruins? Go to Siem Rip, Cambodia and see Angkor.
    You want Asian street culture? Go to Hanoi (Halong bay too!).
    You want to step back in time to see what asia was like 100 years ago? Go to Lung Prabang, Laos (go do a homestay too)!
    You want to go trekking? Go to Laos, it has good treks, Chang Mai has loads of treks too, Sapa is arguably one of the best places to do it.
    You want beaches? Go to ..... well there is 1001 choices here. Every country has great beaches.
    It really depends on what you want to do but once in asia travel is a piece of piss if you are willing to fly to a few places. Busses are grand too, though cheaper much slower.

It really depends on what you want to do. Post up what you would like to see. Have a look at travelfish. Loads of great tips there for quick and longer trips. One thing though, try not to do too much at once. If you only have 3 or four weeks then doing 5 countries is waaay too much.

Forget OZ!

I wouldn't bother with OZ because its expensive and there are load of cheap enough flights already from Christchurch to Sydney. I got some flights back in March from about $330 return (about 140 euro). This wasn't your ryanair type flight. I flew with Emirates so got my food, drinks for free and had a tv in front of me with your typical movies. Remember Christchurch to Sydney is a 3 hour flight not a 45 minute hop like Dublin to London!

When you get here you will know what the other side of the world feels like!! They are spoilt over in OZ!:pac:

What kind of jobs have ye gotten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Thanks for that im must do a bit of googling on the places mentioned..probably be back with more questions! Were going over working with a agri contactor, long hours but good enough money. It should pay for a bit more travelling afterwards.

You mean a farmer?

Well not working with animals! Mainly cutting silage, maize etc. That kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kama777

three of my friends and I are moving to christchurch the end of july/start august, were flying with Ethiad airways, going dublin-abu dhabi-sydney-christchurch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

Im moving to nz for the silage as well in september, i havent any job sorted out yet though...

Pmd

My god, there is a bit of an exodus to Christchurch all of a sudden. We can have a proper boardsie beers!

Sound good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

jank wrote: »
    My god, there is a bit of an exodus to Christchurch all of a sudden. We can have a proper boardsie beers!

oh, what was that with me then?

*feels used*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

No one comes to Auckland :(

next time a decent band make it, im tellin ya man, ill be there!

oh, what was that with me then?

*feels used*

LOL! Sorry I suppose that was one.

Just in my head I was thinking a "group of people", I dont think us 2 could be called a group :P

your girlfriend was there too! that's THREE! perfectly legit beers!

Well she isnt a boardsie... but I suppose we can rule in favour by default:D

Advertisement