Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimmer switch help please, compatible Light fittings?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Could you please tell me if the following light fittings would be compatible with our 3-gang-dimmer switch?
    (dont have the exact model of Dimmer switch with me at the moment)
    Ceiling Light
    http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/homeware/livingroom/165/3
    2 x Wall Light
    http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/homeware/livingroom/165/1
    Description: Opal glass with chrome finish fitting. Requires max 40W E14 golfball or 8W energy saving golfball. H20 x W14 x D20cm.
    443-937-X43

I searched the forum and found some old threads on Dimmer switches but as a complete electrical dunce I would be very if you could help...

We have a 3-gang-Dimmer light switch (press it in to turn on/off) got it in B+Q.
    Currently we use 2 of the switches on the 3-gang-Dimmer to control/dim 2 basic Ceiling roses in our kitchen-dining area, the 3rd part of the switch is not connected at present.
    We want to replace 1 of the ceiling rose with the "Next Ceiling light" above.
    We would also like to use the 3rd switch on the 3-gang-Dimmer to control 2 of the "Next wall lights" above.
    Previously there were 2 matching wall lights on the Dining area wall that were controlled by one switch, the wires for this switch are tidied away in the wall behind the 3-gang-Dimmer wall plate (easy to get at).
    I previously tried to use an energy efficient light bulb in the ceiling roses but they dimmed themselves and emitted a humming noise so I took them back out.
    We will get an electrician to fit the switches but just wanted to check before we shell out on the expansive Light fittings.
    If they are not compatible , have ye any tips on where we might pick up some good lookin fittings that would be suitable for this 3-gang-dimmer?
    Also any of ye ever buy fittings from Next before?

Thanks!
    Rok

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

they seem to be just simple fittings so the dimming will depend then on the bulbs you use.the ordinary incandescent will be dimmable anyhow.don't know if the energy savers are

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

thanks Dave,
    I'll double check the leaflet/instructions that came with Dimmer switch when I get home.... seem to remember something about a maximum wattage that the Dimmer switch can take

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yes the dimmers will have a max amount of wattage they can dim, when they are three gang this can be reduced by a heat factor, for example two 400W dimmers placed side by side may drop in rating to 250Watt each, so watch that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Just wondering about that heat factor 400 watt reducing to 250 watt. What does that mean? Can u not have two 400 watt dimmers side by side?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

grid dimmers might have a de-rating factor due to heat build-up when ganged together. the regular double dimmer(pre-made) is prob already de-rated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Thanks Davelerave.

So if for example i had a double dimmer rated at 250 watt each. Could i buy two single dimmers rated at 400 watt each and swap them for the 250 watt dimmers. Are u saying that is not allowed because build up of heat? I would have to buy a double dimmer that was originally designed to have 2 400watt dimmers.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I have confused things, the heat factors are typically stated on the boxes of grid dimmers, they usually burn out in pubs where they are on for 16 hours a day and the barman has them covered up with stuff and the heat builds up, just follow the instructions on a box, as dave said if you have a unit that it combined its rating will be its rating. You can pop the model of the dimmer switch you were thinking of here first if you want and someone will comment on it.

Advertisement