Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop cpu/thermal paste help

Options
  • 25-06-2009 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭

My dell inspiron 1501 was getting really hot so I took it apart and cleaned the fan and heatsink which were both full of dust etc,I also took the fan apart and cleaned it.

While I had it open I thought I would replace the dell thermal paste with artic silver which I had lying arond.

So I cleaned all the old stuff from the heatsink and cpu and put the arctic silver on and it wouldnt start.

I then left it on for 10 minutes to build up some heat and then the fan kicked in so I turned it off/on and it worked fine.

Its been working ok for the last 2 days and heat seems to be down but once or twice I have experienced the problem again of when the machine is cold it refuses to boot and I have to leave it on to heat up until the fan kicks in and then power it on and off via the switch to get it working,any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

When you took off the heat sink you may have unseated the CPU.
    If you open it up again and remove the heatsink reseat the CPU and see if it'll boot.
    It is safe to boot up without a heatsink for a minute or so.

Advertisement