Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance-learning MSc in Renewable Energy

Options
  • 25-06-2009 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All,

I'm an electronic engineer with 4 years experience in industry. I'm considering carrying out a masters degree in renewable/sustainable energy. I would do this course part-time via distance learning. The courses that I am looking into so far are:
    1) University Of Ulster : Postgraduate Diploma/MSc Renewable Energy and Energy Management
    2) Loughborough University : Renewable Energy Systems Technology
    3) Heriot Watt University : Energy MSc/Diploma

Does anyone have any opinions/ideas on these 3 courses and their universities? I would really appreciate to hear views of people who have completed these courses. What was good or bad?

I have looked for previous threads on this topic and came across the following point of view as quoted by user holdfast on 11-June-2009:
    "I did the UU course, just finished second year. I found the course a pain, I am from a engineering background and the course is very theroy based, writing essays on each module with headings such as social, encomic rather than getting stuck in to maths."
    Would people tend to agrees with this? I'm much more into the maths/technical side of things and long wordy essays would be a big burden.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can give!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Hey There JollyWally,

I'm afraid that so far I'd have to agree with the quoted text regarding the UU course. I'll be starting the second year this September/October and am now looking upon the course soley as a way of gaining my PG qualification to pursue further education possibilities.

Most of the information provided is little more then PP style slides and is all theory based. Minimal maths/mechanical work. It seems that by relying upon Irish/American/British home management/energy saving websites, environmental organisation websites, green energy websites etc etc it possible to complete 60% of the assignments which to me seems somewhat besides the point.
    Spent a fortune upon books at the very beginging then found that in certain modules there was different suggested reading so have wasted a lot of cash upon books most of which seem not to be relevent to the modules covered in the 2nd year of the course.

There is none to very little interaction between us students and the course organisers/lecturers.
    We rely upon a discussion forum type board specific to each module to post questions & requests for advice. These seem not to be checked often enough if at all so we go without much needed guidance (Some lectures are better then others however in regards to this).
    Often students seem to rely upon each other as regards providing guidance more so then the course organsiors.
    In fact the above feature became unavailable for one of the modules just prior to the end of the last semester with that modules assignments due. Nothing was done about it with direct emails going unanswered, I'm sure there were students that did'nt realise that another forum was utilised elsewhere on the campus one website. I only stumbled upon it accidentally otherwise I'd have had to do it entirely alone which I'm sure many did.

Unfortunately I can honestly say that I've not learned anything that I could not have learned by requesting a list of suggested books on the topic of energy management & renewables from those inside that industry. I'm very disapointed with the course and only for the fact that I'm now 50% through it I would'nt consider it al all.

In case you can't guess JollyWally I can't recommend the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭shakeydude

I would agree with the above comments on the UU. I found the course very broad and assignments based on extensive web research. I have finished 2nd year and will look to furthering my education elsewhere.

On a positive note we got access to the Athens Library which was a great resource. Also the course is accredited by the Energy Institute and CIBSE which was one of the reasons I applied for it

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 islandlife

Hi,

thx you very much for the feedback.
    So, you mean the course is not talking about mechanic/enginnering but just about economy/politics etc...?
    Do you think someone with a art background could complete it?

thx you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭matsil

I too have been considering these, and other similar courses. I haven't come accross many people that hold the UU course in high regard. I think it would be ideal for perhaps a civil engineer, a QS, or someone with a business focused background who would like a good grounding in the field of renewables and would like to be able to hold an intellgent conversation on the matter, BUT will more than likely never actually do the detailed design required to physically implement renewable energy solutions.

I am a senior mechanical building services engineer (consulting), and its the "maths" of things that I want to learn more about, and to that end the advice I have been given is not to bother with the UU course.

I did a BER course with chevron training a while back. The instructure, who was both very nice and highly competent, told me that he did the UU course. However, duing the course, it was evident to me that while he had a good idea overview mechanical plant (boilers, pumps, calorifiers, buffer vessels, etc.) he did not know how these systems actually worked, other that "cold water goes in the bottom, hot water comes out the top"........ I wouldn't imagine he would have been conversant in matters such as heat pumps for example.

For me, for a renewables course to be worthwhile, I want to be getting into the nitty gritty of system design, tweaking CHP plant to get the best performances, undertaking detailed calculations etc. - I can go to www.sei.ie and read that heat pumps have COP's in the range of 2.5 to 4...... :rolleyes:

If I decide to follow a renewables course, it will be the Loughborough Universtiy course - as this to me appears to be the only course that actually has an engineering element to it.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JollyWally

Hi Cecil

Thanks a million for the reply. I really appreciate the advice. It's exactly the straight talking information that I want to hear! I think I'll count myself out of this one anyway!!!

JollyWally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JollyWally

Cheers a million for all your ideas on these courses.

ShakeyDude - The fact that the course has high recognition drew me to it also but I'm afraid that just won't cut it for me.

Matsil - Nice to see someone else interested in Loughborough - it sounds like a super super course.

Jolly Wally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Hi Guys,

Could someone post a link to the Loughborough course please? I've not been able to find any details on it, 'sure I'm just looking in the wrong place but I'd like to know what other alternatives are out there.

Thanks..

JollyWally wrote: »
    Cheers a million for all your ideas on these courses.

ShakeyDude - The fact that the course has high recognition drew me to it also but I'm afraid that just won't cut it for me.

Matsil - Nice to see someone else interested in Loughborough - it sounds like a super super course.

Jolly Wally

Well its now closed for 2009 applications :( ....... so thats that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Anyone any experience of Dundalk IT MSc in Renewable Energy Systems.
    Thinking about this for next september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

I have completed the Loughborough MSc, it is really good and covers most aspects of RE( check out the syllabus on-line).
    It is not easy, it took me 3 years to complete on a PT basis.
    They also do revise the course regularly to keep up and it has changed a bit since I did it. It is also quite expensive. AFAIK the DKIT course is licenced from this course and so should be very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kerrymaninld

Hi a friend of mine completed the Loughborough course last year and thought it was excellent. I didnt get the impression from him that you'd be doing too much tuning of CHP plants, at the end of the day thats a technicians job.
    My friend now works for BP Solar in UK, so is happy :)

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

Was looking through the Loughborough university website but cant findmuch info on the course.
    Is it possible to do the course full time ?

Dunno, but I found them very helpful responding to email queries - I'd suggest emailing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 loughjo

I'm interested in getting a qualification in renewable energy and came across this thread. I have a background in Electronics and am now working in a software support role for a Telecoms company.
    I've had a look at the course in Loughborough University and it looks fairly good. Just wondering did people that done the course in Loughborough or a similar course find jobs in Ireland ?

Advertisement