Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eps in LyX (LaTex editor)

Options
  • 25-06-2009 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I have some diagrams I need to put into a LaTex document. I am using LyX.
    I need to put them in eps format. I have tried opening high res versions of the jpgs in Flash, and tracing the bitmaps - the resultant vector graphics are very good so far.
    Then I use the export image tool in Flash to save them as eps. This appears to work ok. However, when I try to insert them in LyX, I get "Eorror converting to loadable format".
    Can anyone give any help with this?
    I am putting this here because I understand that LaTeX is used a lot in academic and postgraduate work.
    Thanks

edit: The graphic does appear in the pdf that is generated. I think I found a solution to getting it to appear in the editor as well:

http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/LyX/FiguresInLyX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Sounds like you're compiling with pdflatex? In which case the graphics need to be either JPG, PNG or PDF. Use EPS when compiling with latex. You may find this helpful:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Importing_Graphics

I had the same problem when I began using latex!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Thanks for the link! I'll read through that.
    Another thing I've noticed is that the eps images I've tried are not as high quality as the bitmap equivalents when scaled down, though they look fine at full size. I've been using Flash with the most accurate settings to convert the bitmaps. Is there another tool that might be better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

while Latex docs look nice, the tools are from the lower pit of satans domain. It sucks mega. I have tried time and again to use it, and frankly couldnt be ar%ed anymore. Maybe im odd....
    I tried LyX. Couldnt install it, couldnt get packages to work, couldnt do graphics without mad bypasses, couldnt....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

pwd wrote: »
    I've been using Flash with the most accurate settings to convert the bitmaps. Is there another tool that might be better?
    All I can tell you is I use Photoshop and it seems to do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

blucey wrote: »
    while Latex docs look nice, the tools are from the lower pit of satans domain. It sucks mega. I have tried time and again to use it, and frankly couldnt be ar%ed anymore. Maybe im odd....
    I tried LyX. Couldnt install it, couldnt get packages to work, couldnt do graphics without mad bypasses, couldnt....
    It's okay, blucey. I'm sure B-School'ers can usually make do with Microsoft Equation Editor :p
    djpbarry wrote: »
    All I can tell you is I use Photoshop and it seems to do the job.

+1. Photoshop's image resizer does a great job at blending the images in. They look far better than just forcing a resize in LaTeX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

compile as a .ps... then convert to a pdf if needed... ive had problems with lateX , PDFs and eps before, that worked for me though. Not the best answer, but it works :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

It's okay, blucey. I'm sure B-School'ers can usually make do with Microsoft Equation Editor :p

sworked ok for me for 20 years and hundreds of papers (well, mathtype which is ee's big brother). Never met a paper or thesis I couldnt do in word. So ya boo to yiz latex fetishists.....:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I use PDFLatex, but I tend to keep all my images in EPS and then use epstopdf with a Makefile to convert them. Sounds strange, but it means if you have EPS vector images from MATLAB it's the only way they'll correctly be saved as PDF vector images. Personally I don't bother with LyX, i've tried it but I found I picked up the straight LaTeX syntax in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

blucey wrote: »
    hundreds of papers
    Hundreds me hole. I count less than 70...

Red Alert wrote: »
    vector images from MATLAB

I've a couple of nonlinear plots that need a-doin'. Would you recommend Matlab over Maple/Mathematica?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I haven't used Maple or Mathematica much so I wouldn't know - MATLAB's plotting engine is quite good and can do almost anything you throw at it. If you don't want to buy MATLAB there's a program called GNUPlot, but if you're on Windows it's not worth the hassle trying to run it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement