Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 'Dog Adventure Club'

Options
  • 25-06-2009 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

We are launching a new club for outdoor activities for dogs and their people, called Tails 'n' Trails. The Bebo page is now online, check it out to see what we are about and some photos of the kind of fun we intend having.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=9405744851

All photographs are copyright and may not be copied without permission from the photographer.

We hope to have a website up and running very soon, and if anybody has any ideas of other activities they'd like to see happening in Ireland, please let us know, we'll see if we can incorporate them. Obviously with it now being summer, and being pretty hot, we aren't planning on any strenuous activities like scootering etc until October at the earliest, but hope to have some meets around the country throughout the cooler months.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Absolutely brilliant Idea!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Excellent, thanks a milll for this ISDW :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Thanks guys.

Just to say, that this club is open to ALL breeds, with no breed specific restrictions:D Just about any dog can do scootering, some may need a little bit more help from the person on the scooter than others, but thats all part of the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭cloudy day

Excelent news ISDW, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That looks like great craic and in my local park too! Bonus! I'd like my terriers to do a bit of back packing so they can be some use up the Arigna Mountains :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 stepcodd

Is this the Tails and Trails club?

Yeah it is, things have moved on since I first posted.

New website http://www.tails-n-trails.com/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 stepcodd

Thanks. It looks great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

man that looks cool - but where are you based, couldn't find an address on the website, i.e. where you meet?

Paul91 wrote: »
    man that looks cool - but where are you based, couldn't find an address on the website, i.e. where you meet?

We are an internet based club, as we have members all over the country. We have had meets in the North West and the East so far, and are hoping to have meets in the next few months in the West and South. Purtumna in Galway is one location that we are looking at for November.

Our members really are scattered all over the country, we're hoping that any members that live near(ish) to each other will get together informally and go for a scooter, or a run. Its much more fun when you have company. Then we have insurance cover for 2 members meets per month during the cooler months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

excellent looking website, fair play :D
    i would love to try the cani cross, i have a lurcher and have no doubt he would be fit and strong enough for it
    however i would also be interseted in the scootering but i cant see him having anywhere near enough strength in his chest/body for this?
    is the scootering really confined to the stronger more 'square' type builds? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

Such a great idea! We seen the stall at PetExpo,didn't really stop tho,crowds were irking me by then. Is there any way we can try this out before parting with the +200 euro for the scooter and rig? Would hate to find out it's not for us or Truman after getting the whole outfit. Glad to hear you welcome all breeds without restriction,but shouldn't you be careful posting that here? ;)

:pthats for you Petrov:D

Obviously we don't want people to part with their money unnecessarily, so what we suggest is that you come along to a members meet, you don't have to join, get your dog in harness and let a member get on the scooter to see if they will pull. You can ride ahead on a bike, or whatever you want to do, usually a dog will need some kind of 'lure' in front to get them to run at the beginning. That way, you can see if you think your dog will pull, and most importantly, enjoy pulling. Then, if that works, you can join up as a member, so that you're covered by the insurance and you can start the scootering or whatever yourself. There will always be members at meets that will lend their scooters out to new members, and we're hoping to maybe have a couple of 'club' scooters as well for new people who don't want to - or who can't just yet - spend the money needed.

With the scootering, the great thing is that almost any dog can do it, even the small ones. You can give the dog as much or as little help as they need, scootering your foot along the ground, or hopping off and walking or running with your dog up hills etc. Thats why I prefer it to bikejoring. However, with a bike, you can help the dog out a lot by pedalling, so they don't have to do too much pulling if you don't want them to.

We have all sorts of dogs in the club, from the obvious huskies, through labradors, red setters, border collies etc. In fact, a red setter is one of our best mushers, and he really doesn't have a very strong chest. There is a sled dog team in America that is purely red setters, 18 of them pulling a sled:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Unfortunately this must be closed as it is technically advertising and that's against the charter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement