Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does it please you when bragging developers games fail?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Denis Dyack was saying that Too Human would change the videogame industry. He wanted NeoGAF closed down just because posters where saying bad things about TH. It eventually got above average reviews , nothing to set the industry alight. This amused me.

Also Free Radical Design were implying that Haze would be superior to both the Half Life series and the Halo series and it ended up getting below average reviews. i remember playing the Haze demo and thinking "This looks very plain"

I guess I just dont like it when developers brag.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i like to see proven developers like valve and id brag, even blizzard. cos they normally backup their bragging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Not really because I'm sure most games developers are proud of their work even if it isnt received well, some developers just have asses taking care of pr who talk up the game too much. Teh word revolutionary for example is thrown about far too much these days it the gaming industry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Denis Dyack however is a special kind of obnoxious bellend, he's in a class of his own so when his game was average I was delighted especially after his obnoxious rant on neo gaf anf then pretending it was part of his project about exposing the nature of the internet and how it's also explore in his game. Shut up you cockend!

Peter Molyneaux seems to me a person that gets over excited about his work and talks about features in his games way too soon. Even if he doesn't deliver he usually makes a great game at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

*sarcasm alert*

No, because game developers always tell the truth and never exaggerate how awesome their games are going to be :rolleyes:

I'm sure if a developer knows his game is rubbish he will piss off his current publishers and burn bridges with any future prospective publishers by telling consumers to not buy their game.

Also, a good way to tell if a game is good is if a celebrity tells you its good, particularly ones that will be making money off the sales of a game:

Like this for example, I can tell by Megan Fox's sincere love of online gaming that Transformers 2 the game is going to be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It depends on the devloper. As said, Denis Dyac is a bellend. But others I feel really sorry for when a game doesn't end up like they wanted. And it's made worse when a publisher strong arms a developer into releasing a substandard game

I've always like Peter Molyneux because, even though his games usually fall short of the target, he still tries new and interesting ideas. There aren't enough developers willing to try something new and who also having the backing to be allowed to do it. And so as a result there are loads of developers who churn out generic tripe that doesn't impress anyone and the developer is humiliated. This will always make me smile! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

L31mr0d wrote: »

Like this for example, I can tell by Megan Fox's sincere love of online gaming that Transformers 2 the game is going to be amazing.

megan fox is quite possibly the worst actress on the planet. sure is hot though.
    good old peter monylafhasdkh. talks the talk alright but gets far too much recognition compared to other individuals... like Icefrog ^^

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

DaiKatana.

Nuff said.

Dev.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seeker wrote: »
    Also Free Radical Design were implying that Haze would be superior to both the Half Life series and the Halo series and it ended up getting below average reviews. i remember playing the Haze demo and thinking "This looks very plain"

I guess I just dont like it when developers brag.

I've never played Haze, and it does look pretty bad, but Free Radical crashed and burned as a result of that game. They were otherwise talented developers (Timesplitters is great) and it kind of illustrates the harsh reality of games development when one failure means closure (plenty of other examples). So can't say I was pleased by its failure!

But when a company or individual really has an obnoxious PR campaign, sometimes they deserve whats coming to them. Gamecock (titter etc) where one example - everytime I saw them bragging or acting the gob****e I wanted to punch them. Then they released a number of **** games and disappeared. A justice of sorts? Maybe.

Molyneaux and Lionhead I still respect despite his bragging (and I doubt Milo will live up to the hype - seriously, emotion recognition? Good luck!). Fable II was a great game, and yeah it may have fell short of its lofty goals, but the realities of finances, deadlines and technology sometimes makes what seemed achieveable an impossibility. They are an ambitious group, and they are making steps forward, so its hard to criticise them for not making bigger steps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least Molyneaux realises what is achieveable and what ambitions he can't achieve just yet and delivers a finished project unlike 3D Realms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,468 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    At least Molyneaux realises what is achieveable and what ambitions he can't achieve just yet and delivers a finished project unlike 3D Realms.

True. When you spend decades producing a game that is likely to just emerge as a mediocre FPS anyway, you're just asking for trouble. Surprised they lasted as long as they did tbh with the amount of funds they were pouring into a project that had long since become a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Peter Molyneaux does my nut in !

Valve can brag all they want, they deserve to, No.1 developer imo:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I dont mind Molyneux blowing his own trumpet a bit before games come out - he seems to actively put a lot of emotion into game development/ treats it like a an artist treats an art piece + attempting big ideas and creating flawed masterpieces. Its no surprise he really invests heavily into it and starts to really want it to succeed. He is one of the few developers that will openly admit he is not happy with his own work/finished products - the mass deinability given out from some devs is bordeline comical on occasions.

What really grinds my gear is the like of some of the dumbass devs in Monolith/EPIC/EA/Dice that replace development time with more trash talk then your average professional wrestler - then abandon half of their promises and try cut all ties from the game as soon as it goes gold. e.g Fear 2 on PC was a total and utter failure of a game / almost entirely unpolished console port of a sub-standard console shooter, crippled with issues - yet a few months down the line there is no accountability at all from the creators - who up until launch were actively engaging the community on a large scale

Also for the last decade at some stage every FPS dev ALWAYS claims they have created revolutionary AI, in most cases its just a duck shoot(or at least with ducks that find the nearest low wall and hide behind it then pop up)

As harsh/evil as it sounds it gives me a warm feeling to know people that are doing a job so badly arent rewarded for their mistakes - A lot of companies now seem to spend more time pandering the masses with massive marketing campaigns/PR pre-launch - money that would be better served on development - Its like rewarding/paying an artist to half finish a commission and say its done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I like Peter Molyneaux - as much as he plays up his games, you feel he's doing it in a genuine enthusiastic way and not as a PR excercise.

He *wants* to make the best game ever every time, but sometimes (well, every time post-Bullfrog) his ambitions just get the better of him and it doesn't turn out as he'd said. Given that his games at Bullfrog all genuinely lived up to the hype (if it's not just my rose tinted glasses in action), I wonder if it's just the fact that he doesn't have talent around him of the same calibre as he did in those days. One man can't make a game these days after all, not by a long shot.

Advertisement