Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laytown beach pollution?????!!!

Options
  • 25-06-2009 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I'm not sure where to start this thread...
    Does anyone know what the story is with Laytown beach?
    We moved here recently and I was so looking forward to swimming in the sea bla bla the usual story,but it's filthy,the water is full of god knows what.I wouldn't usually care that much but it was so dirty that when I came out I had what can only be described as 'lumps of gunk' all over my body.Made me feel ill...Anyone got any idea about when or if they ever clean it???Or even who to contact about this?
    I know that Balbriggan beach got a really bad review earlier this year about pollution etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Totally agree... Was there a few weeks back and it was disgusting. I heard from a neighbour that the sewage from mosney goes directly into that part of the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

OH JESUS CHRIST!!!I think I may not even be walking my dogs down here anymore!!!Can't we contact someone about this???It's a touristy area for christsake,they have to clean it no???especially in the summer

So I'll take that as a no then?!Bummer,what a waste of an entire beach...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sebna

Hi,

Is it still the situation or was it resolved?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved from East to Meath.

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Should have done research before you moved there. Layton is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭HALLOW RUBY

Learn how to spell the name of the place properly before you post stupid remarks NUFCNavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Learn how to spell the name of the place properly before you post stupid remarks NUFCNavan.
    Haha fair point, but the comment still stands.

We have since moved.It is indeed a kip!The thought of living next to the sea was so appealing we didn't look around enough before moving there!
    Just before we moved,on 2 occasions I was heavily pregnant and walking my dogs,some kids were standing on the bridge throwing stones at me and laughing....not too happy with the people who were moving in...on another occasion,again,heavily pregnant,I collapsed in pain on that same bridge and some guy just walked past me.There was another guy watching the whole thing from outside the shop and also did nothing to help.I struggled all the way home in extreme pain and not one person offered to help me!!!My love affair with the idea of living next to that sea well and truly died.Sea would be a nice word for it though,it's just a large sewer,the fact you can actually see the excrement in the water makes my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Should have done research before you moved there. Layton is a kip.
    Full of halwits that can't spell an all and anyways...( Layton ),

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stephencaso

Totally agree... Was there a few weeks back and it was disgusting. I heard from a neighbour that the sewage from mosney goes directly into that part of the sea.

Ha ha, I am guessing I heard from a neighbour means its not true. You really should do some research before you make statements. Mosney has its own sewage works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Sure why let the truth get in the way of a bit of begrudgery......

http://www.bathingwater.ie/epa/current.htm

Laytown / Bettystown results have been consistently good all summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 falsers

emsy g wrote: »
    We have since moved.It is indeed a kip!The thought of living next to the sea was so appealing we didn't look around enough before moving there!
    Just before we moved,on 2 occasions I was heavily pregnant and walking my dogs,some kids were standing on the bridge throwing stones at me and laughing....not too happy with the people who were moving in...on another occasion,again,heavily pregnant,I collapsed in pain on that same bridge and some guy just walked past me.There was another guy watching the whole thing from outside the shop and also did nothing to help.I struggled all the way home in extreme pain and not one person offered to help me!!!My love affair with the idea of living next to that sea well and truly died.Sea would be a nice word for it though,it's just a large sewer,the fact you can actually see the excrement in the water makes my point.
    Shocked at this and at your other comments about the beach. I'm there regularly never seen excrement or anything like it in Laytown or Bettystown. As the the kids, well mischievous kids are everywhere, this is not a laytown only problem.

falsers wrote: »
    Shocked at this and at your other comments about the beach. I'm there regularly never seen excrement or anything like it in Laytown or Bettystown. As the the kids, well mischievous kids are everywhere, this is not a laytown only problem.

Shocked as in,you don't believe me?
    I tell the truth I'm afraid.It was all very upsetting.The 'dirt' I saw in the water was definitely there and very upsetting.My dog was stinking after and had to wash him.I was paddling in it before I realised it was all stuck to my legs.Also,the size of the fish that were washed up on the shore was crazy.
    Since I come from the other side of Ireland and spent a lot of time at the sea I can assure you,it was not seaweed or anything of the sort.
    Very upsetting :(
    Also,I've lived in many area's around Ireland and know that mischievous kids can be EVERYWHERE,but this was pretty s**t to be so close to when I was bringing a new child into the world and our choice to move was mainly for our Son :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

emsy g wrote: »
    Shocked as in,you don't believe me?
    I tell the truth I'm afraid.It was all very upsetting.The 'dirt' I saw in the water was definitely there and very upsetting.My dog was stinking after and had to wash him.I was paddling in it before I realised it was all stuck to my legs.Also,the size of the fish that were washed up on the shore was crazy.
    Since I come from the other side of Ireland and spent a lot of time at the sea I can assure you,it was not seaweed or anything of the sort.
    Very upsetting :(
    Also,I've lived in many area's around Ireland and know that mischievous kids can be EVERYWHERE,but this was pretty s**t to be so close to when I was bringing a new child into the world and our choice to move was mainly for our Son :)

I scuba dive with a club based in the northeast and we dive mainly on the east cost. The water there is absolutely disgusting and the visibilty is terrible.We dive out of the west coast on Bank Holiday weekends and the difference in the cleanliness of the water is amazing. The Irish sea is filthy and the atlantic is very clean so I believe what you have seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephencaso

the west coast is an ocean, the east is the sea. So of course you will get clear water in the ocean.

Advertisement