Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have any UL LLBs taken the New York Bar?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have an LLB (Law and European Studies) from UL and would like to take the New York bar next year.

I haven't taken any FE1s or King's Inns exams.

I've checked the Bar Examiners' criteria for applicants with a foreign legal education but I'm a bit perplexed by what I see.

This is straight from the "Request for Evaluation of Foreign Academic Credentials" which is available on the website of the Bar Examiners:
    "If you are NOT admitted to practice law in the foreign country have you successfully completed the educational requirements for admission to practice law in that country? Please check either Yes or No.

__ Yes. Attach a written statement from your law school or the admitting authorities in that foreign country confirming that you have successfully completed all of the educational requirements for admission to practice in that country.

__ No. Please explain what additional educational requirements must be fulfilled in order for you to be eligible for admission to practice law in the foreign country."
    I am not certain what "educational requirements" refers to. The Law and Euro LLB is recognized by the Law Society and King's Inns, meaning that I do not have to take the preliminary exams for either of those institutions, but I am not sure if this fulfills the "educational requirements" as stipulated by the NY Bar Examiners. Does anybody know if the UL LLBs have fulfilled this requirement in the past?

Also, has anybody ever been furnished with a written statement from UL confirming that their LLB fulfills the necessary educational requirements for them to be admitted to the practice of law in Ireland?

I would really appreciate ANY advice or information. Thanks.

Advertisement