Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullet point off-topic thread

Options
  • 25-06-2009 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

O'Morris wrote: »
    No - loss of national sovereignty. I want to be governed from Ireland's capital not Belgium's.

I appreciate I'm getting off-topic here, but how does Lisbon reduce Irish sovereignty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KermitTheFrog

All the threads in Lisbon seem to go the same way, and this will be no different I'd imagine. I've read about twenty pages and I'm struggling to find a handful of clear reasons for voting either way. There seems to be some very vague reasons for voting from both sides. In this thread can we please keep it simple, specific and true. If you have a valid reason for whichever side you are voting can you please do so in the following format:

Please keep it to one point per post, and make it clear and specific.

No offence to members here but it's the same 5 or 6 people posting over and over again (you know who you are) trying to force their biased beliefs on an individual that this treaty is nothing short of spectacular and that YES is the way to go. I would be far more cautious than that I have to say. As a long time lurker I've noticed that anytime anyone ever mentions the cons of this treaty that they are ridiculed. So in saying that, I'd rather hear what notable experts have to say regarding this treaty and not what self appointed ''experts/bluffers'' on this board would try and lead one to believe. Afterall everyone behind a computer screen is a genius.

cordially,
    Kermit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

No offence to members here but it's the same 5 or 6 people posting over and over again (you know who you are) trying to force their biased beliefs on an individual that this treaty is nothing short of spectacular and that YES is the way to go. I would be far more cautious than that I have to say. As a long time lurker I've noticed that anytime anyone ever mentions the cons of this treaty that they are ridiculed. So in saying that, I'd rather hear what notable experts have to say regarding this treaty and not what self appointed ''experts/bluffers'' on this board would try and lead one to believe. Afterall everyone behind a computer screen is a genius.

cordially,
    Kermit.

Well it was asked that it be one bullet point per post, not that everyone only got one post. Also, it might be pointed out that it was asked what the people of this forum think, which pretty much confers the right of reply, don't you think?

Or perhaps no-one should answer, as there are none of us 'experts' in your eyes? It probably wouldn't make for much of a discussion board though!

Can you point out where O'Morris, Conchubar or Hitman Actual were 'ridiculed' on this thread for their bullet points against Lisbon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 KermitTheFrog

turgon wrote: »
    YES - Lisbon makes it easier to handle more than 27 member states

KermitTheFrog, No siders are free to post here too, if they have valuable contributions to make. That is the nature of an Internet forum. So I dont know how there is any kind of "forcing" going on.

Care to mention reasons why one might vote NO for a change, as reasons to vote NO seem to be shut out on this board. Afterall this treaty isn't perfect and must have some faults....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

As a long time lurker I've noticed that anytime anyone ever mentions the cons of this treaty that they are ridiculed.

I dont know about ridiculed. I've seen every point debated.

Care for some examples of this ridicule?
    Care to mention reasons why one might vote NO for a change, as reasons to vote NO seem to be shut out on this board. Afterall this treaty isn't perfect and must have some faults....

Why do we have to argue the stance of the other side?

But in the air of fairness

No

Only 95% of laws go through the European Parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I personally don't care to mention reasons why one might vote No, I don't have any good ones.

And that's a heck of an accusation that reasons to vote No seem to be 'shut out' on this board.

If you could come up with evidence of this happening you'd have quite a case to make in the Helpdesk forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

NO- Retention of the bloated Commission in Lisbon II.

but the Commission is retained either way is it not?

with lots of other changes to make things more democratic/efficient

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've moved posts here from the bullet point thread that don't fit the spirit of the OP in that thread.

Kermit, if you want to post factual No arguments, please do so.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I've moved posts here from the bullet point thread that don't fit the spirit of the OP in that thread.

Kermit, if you want to post factual No arguments, please do so.

just noticed this but have already posted in other, feel free to move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Riskymove wrote: »
    but the Commission is retained either way is it not?

with lots of other changes to make things more democratic/efficient

In Lisbon, the Commission was supposed to be reduced to one for two thirds of member states, whereby every member state would be able to appoint a Commissioner for 10 out of every 15 years. However, with the Irish guarantees in Lisbon II, the Commission will remain at one appointment per member state (so 27 Commissioners after Lisbon).

Personally, I don't think the larger Commission works in line with the notion of a more efficient EU, as it gives the potential of more legislation being proposed, with more work for the Council and Parliament, more work for Comitology groups, etc. This leads to more cost, greater time for legislation to be implemented, and a potential reduced quality of legislation. So for me, this would be a reason to vote No, but there are plenty of other benefits in Lisbon which outweigh this one point.

In Lisbon, the Commission was supposed to be reduced to one for two thirds of member states, whereby every member state would be able to appoint a Commissioner for 10 out of every 15 years. However, with the Irish guarantees in Lisbon II, the Commission will remain at one appointment per member state (so 27 Commissioners after Lisbon).

Personally, I don't think the larger Commission works in line with the notion of a more efficient EU, as it gives the potential of more legislation being proposed, with more work for the Council and Parliament, more work for Comitology groups, etc. This leads to more cost, greater time for legislation to be implemented, and a potential reduced quality of legislation. So for me, this would be a reason to vote No, but there are plenty of other benefits in Lisbon which outweigh this one point.

so you are taking about numbers of Commissioners rather than the Commission itself?

I agree that the original plan was better and have posted about that before. I can't understand why the role of a commissioner can't be properly explained to people and that not having a commissioner for "some" time (not all the time) is not really a big detriment to ireland. In fairness the change back is down to the confusion over the issue here in ireland.

However, I guess my point would be that there are a number of other things which bring about change in a good way (imo) and therefore I would not throw all those out over the number of commissioners.

• Advertisement

No offence to members here but it's the same 5 or 6 people posting over and over again (you know who you are) trying to force their biased beliefs on an individual

Eh... the OP got what he asked for! No voters are entitled to post reasons as well, except that so far on this forum there haven't been many Treaty-based reasons to vote No. Being a long-time lurker I'm sure you've seen that as well

As regards "biased beliefs", just because someone supports a Yes result, it doesn't mean they haven't researched their reasons thoroughly. Personally I base my "biased beliefs" on the Treaties themselves as interpreted by EU law blogs/websites, Irish DFA links (the few there are), and, probably the best of the lot, UK Government law-based analyses.

I've added Article numbers to my reasons in the other thread- if you believe something is incorrect, argue it in this thread.

so you are taking about numbers of Commissioners rather than the Commission itself?

Yep, exactly.
    I agree that the original plan was better and have posted about that before. I can't understand why the role of a commissioner can't be properly explained to people and that not having a commissioner for "some" time (not all the time) is not really a big detriment to ireland. In fairness the change back is down to the confusion over the issue here in ireland.

The confusion thing is the big issue, I agree. Some of the more vocal No campaigners have a lot to answer for that, especially as the reduction of Commissioners was legally-binding in Nice, and if Lisbon is not ratified, then another method of reduction will have to be agreed.
    However, I guess my point would be that there are a number of other things which bring about change in a good way (imo) and therefore I would not throw all those out over the number of commissioners.

A good way to put it, I couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beneton

NO - Be a self-amending Treaty which would allow the EU Prime Ministers to shift most of the remaining policy areas where unanimity is required and a national veto still exists, to qualified majority voting on the EU Council of Ministers, without need of further Treaties or referendums (Art.48 TEU).

Nope - not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

tonycascarino brought up a large number of points in the bullet point thread. Im wondering how many of these the Yes side agree will happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

cooperguy wrote: »
    tonycascarino brought up a large number of points in the bullet point thread. Im wondering how many of these the Yes side agree will happen?

A large number of posts that have been dealt with many times before. Yet he still keeps hammering home the same ones. the best example is the one quoted by beneton on Article 48. No matter how many times it has been pointed out on this forum, some people just don't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

cooperguy wrote: »

Virtually none of them - as Dinner says, they've all been dealt with before, yet here they are again, like a collection of bad pennies. And some of them are just vague:
    NO - Lisbon would be a constitutional revolution in the EU and its Member States. It would give Government Ministers and the Big EU States huge new powers, while taking power away from ordinary citizens across the EU, and from the National Parliaments they elect. That is why only Ireland is being allowed a vote on it - because of our Constitution. Only we Irish can save democracy in the EU by refusing to allow ourselves to be bullied or bamboozled into overturning our rejection of Lisbon last year - thereby holding open for the people of Britain and our fellow countrymen and women in Northern Ireland the chance of voting No to Lisbon in a UK referendum next summer.

Now, what "huge new powers"? Unless tony means the ones he has outlined in the other bullet points - which are a long way from 'huge' - why has he not bullet-pointed these "huge new powers"? How is Lisbon a "constitutional revolution"?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

working my way through them:

NO - Hand over to the EU the power to make laws binding on us in 32 new policy areas, such as public services, crime, justice and policing, immigration, energy, transport, tourism, sport, culture, public health and the EU budget. Member States would lose the national veto they have at present in the policy areas concerned, and their National Parliaments would no longer decide laws or policy for these areas.

lets see:

public health
    TITLE XIV
    PUBLIC HEALTH
    Article 168
    (ex Ar ticle 152 TEC)
    1. A high level of human health protection shall be ensured in the definition and implementation
    of all Union policies and activities.
    Union action, which shall complement national policies, shall be directed towards improving public
    health, preventing physical and mental illness and diseases, and obviating sources of danger to physical
    and mental health. Such action shall cover the fight against the major health scourges, by promoting
    research into their causes, their transmission and their prevention, as well as health information and
    education, and monitoring, early warning of and combating serious cross-border threats to health.
    The Union shall complement the Member States' action in reducing drugs-related health damage,
    including information and prevention.

2. The Union shall encourage cooperation between the Member States in the areas referred to in
    this Article and, if necessary, lend support to their action. It shall in particular encourage cooperation
    between the Member States to improve the complementarity of their health services in cross-border
    areas.
    Member States shall, in liaison with the Commission, coordinate among themselves their policies and
    programmes in the areas referred to in paragraph 1. The Commission may, in close contact with the
    Member States, take any useful initiative to promote such coordination, in par ticular initiatives aiming
    at the establishment of guidelines and indicators, the organisation of exchange of best practice, and the
    preparation of the necessary elements for periodic monitoring and evaluation. The European
    Parliament shall be kept fully informed.
    3. The Union and the Member States shall foster cooperation with third countries and the
    competent international organisations in the sphere of public health.
    4. By way of derogation from Ar ticle 2(5) and Ar ticle 6(a) and in accordance with Article 4(2)(k)
    the European Parliament and the Council, acting in accordance with the ordinary legislative procedure
    and after consulting the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions, shall
    contribute to the achievement of the objectives referred to in this Ar ticle through adopting in order to
    meet common safety concerns:
    (a) measures setting high standards of quality and safety of organs and substances of human origin,
    blood and blood derivatives; these measures shall not prevent any Member State from maintaining
    or introducing more stringent protective measures;

(b) measures in the veterinary and phytosanitary fields which have as their direct objective the
    protection of public health;
    (c) measures setting high standards of quality and safety for medicinal products and devices for
    medical use.
    5. The European Parliament and the Council, acting in accordance with the ordinary legislative
    procedure and after consulting the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the
    Regions, may also adopt incentive measures designed to protect and improve human health and in
    particular to combat the major cross-border health scourges, measures concerning monitoring, early
    warning of and combating serious cross-border threats to health
    , and measures which have as their
    direct objective the protection of public health regarding tobacco and the abuse of alcohol, excluding
    any harmonisation of the laws and regulations of the Member States.
    6. The Council, on a proposal from the Commission, may also adopt recommendations for the
    purposes set out in this Article.
    7. Union action shall respect the responsibilities of the Member States for the definition of their
    health policy and for the organisation and delivery of health ser vices and medical care.
    The
    responsibilities of the Member States shall include the management of health services and medical care
    and the allocation of the resources assigned to them. The measures referred to in paragraph 4(a) shall
    not affect national provisions on the donation or medical use of organs and blood.

Sport
    TITLE XII
    EDUCATION, VOCATIONAL TRAINING, YOUTH AND SPORT
    Article 165
    (ex Ar ticle 149 TEC)
    1. The Union shall contribute to the development of quality education by encouraging
    cooperation between Member States and, if necessary, by supporting and supplementing their action,
    while fully respecting the responsibility of the Member States for the content of teaching and the
    organisation of education systems and their cultural and linguistic diversity.

The Union shall contribute to the promotion of European spor ting issues, while taking account of the
    specific nature of sport, its structures based on voluntary activity and its social and educational
    function.
    2. Union action shall be aimed at:
    — developing the European dimension in education, par ticularly through the teaching and
    dissemination of the languages of the Member States,
    — encouraging mobility of students and teachers, by encouraging inter alia, the academic recognition
    of diplomas and periods of study,
    — promoting cooperation between educational establishments,
    — developing exchanges of information and experience on issues common to the education systems
    of the Member States,
    — encouraging the development of youth exchanges and of exchanges of socio-educational
    instructors, and encouraging the participation of young people in democratic life in Europe,
    — encouraging the development of distance education,
    — developing the European dimension in sport, by promoting fairness and openness in sporting
    competitions and cooperation between bodies responsible for sports, and by protecting the
    physical and moral integrity of sportsmen and spor tswomen, especially the youngest spor tsmen
    and spor tswomen.
    3. The Union and the Member States shall foster cooperation with third countries and the
    competent international organisations in the field of education and sport, in particular the Council of
    Europe.
    4. In order to contribute to the achievement of the objectives referred to in this Article:
    — the European Parliament and the Council, acting in accordance with the ordinary legislative
    procedure, after consulting the Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the
    Regions, shall adopt incentive measures, excluding any harmonisation of the laws and regulations
    of the Member States,

— the Council, on a proposal from the Commission, shall adopt recommendations.

Tourism
    TITLE XXII
    TOURISM
    Article 195
    1. The Union shall complement the action of the Member States in the tourism sector, in
    particular by promoting the competitiveness of Union under takings in that sector.
    To that end, Union action shall be aimed at:
    (a) encouraging the creation of a favourable environment for the development of under takings in this
    sector;
    (b) promoting cooperation between the Member States, particularly by the exchange of good practice.
    2. The European Parliament and the Council, acting in accordance with the ordinary legislative
    procedure, shall establish specific measures to complement actions within the Member States to
    achieve the objectives referred to in this Ar ticle, excluding any harmonisation of the laws and
    regulations of the Member States.

I could go on, but I think you see the point.

NO - Be a power-grab by the Big States, in particular Germany, for control of the EU. By basing EU law-making primarily on population size, the Lisbon Treaty would double Germany's voting weight on the EU Council of Ministers from its present 8% under the Nice Treaty to 17%. France's vote would go from 8% to 13%, Britain's and Italy's from their current 8% each to 12% each, while Ireland's voting weight would be halved from 2% to 0.8% (Art.16 TEU)

Ignoring the double majority voting is a bad idea, seeing as it takes both population and nationality into account. *sigh*

NO - Abolish each State's present right to "propose" and decide who its national Commissioner is, by replacing it with a right to make"suggestions" only for the incoming Commission President to decide (Art.17.7 TEU). The Commission, which is appointed not elected, has the monopoly of proposing all European laws. Ireland's No vote last year secured a commitment to a permanent Commissioner for all. But what is the point of every EU State continuing to have its own Commissioner post-Lisbon when it can no longer decide who that Commissioner will be? Under the present Nice Treaty Member States would continue to decide that, and can continue too to have their own national Commissioner indefinitely as well.

So instead of letting fianna fail who's track record of picking the right man for the right job has been...well abysmal. The EU will let the government suggest a candidate and if they feel that the government is just trying to offload dead weight (which people have shockingly accused our government of doing) they can refuse the suggestion, maybe god forbid taking the suggested candidate from the opposition.

I fail to see the problem.

NO - Enable the 27 EU Prime Ministers to appoint an EU President for up to five years without allowing voters any say as to who he or she would be - thereby abolishing the present six-monthly rotating EU presidencies (Art.15.5 TEU). Appointment rather than democratic election to this and other top EU jobs typifies the undemocratic nature of the proposed Lisbon Constitution. It is the Prime Ministers of the Big States who would have the key say in filling them because of the big increase in their voting weight under Lisbon.

This has already been explained numerous times. The president has no powers, so its a waste of the peoples time and money to elect a glorified middle management with no voting power nor any legislative powers. Also seeing as the big states still only get 1 vote each in The European Council as much as the smaller states, I fail to see how the big states are going to abuse this?

NO - Be a self-amending Treaty which would allow the EU Prime Ministers to shift most of the remaining policy areas where unanimity is required and a national veto still exists, to qualified majority voting on the EU Council of Ministers, without need of further Treaties or referendums (Art.48 TEU).

old faithful. Article 48 section 4:
    A conference of representatives of the governments of the Member States shall be convened by
    the President of the Council for the purpose of determining by common accord the amendments to be
    made to the Treaties.
    The amendments shall enter into force after being ratified by all the Member States in accordance with
    their respective constitutional requirements.

Advertisement