Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultra SCSI to Serial Attached SCSI (long shot!)

• 25-06-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Hey, I am currently planning to replace three Ultra SCSI hard drives (RAID 0 striped, totaling 80GB) with three new drives that will be 1TB each. It is for a webserver that is hosting alot of websites that have been added and grown over the years and as you can imagine are really getting bloated.

Anyway, the server is in a datacentre across the city and when I remote accessed it I saw that it had SCSI drives, so I ordered three 1TB SCSI drives for the server (I know I should have researched it ALOT more). I didn't know they were Ultra SCSI until our old Systems Admin told me and the drives that I ordered were Serial Attached SCSI drives so I was wondering if there is an adapter for the SCSI connections that I could get because sending back could prove tricky.

Btw the server is a Dell PowerEdge 1750.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No chance. The front hot-swap bays on the PE1750 will require Ultra 320/160 drives with SCA connectors. SAS is a completely different protocol to SCSI so unlike S-ATA to P-ATA you won't be able to find convertors. Start looking for another use or a way to return these drives.

If I were you I'd just replace the server. I'd expect that three new U320 drives will cost at least five times as much per GB as those 7200 RPM SAS drives you bought. It isn't worth spending that much cash putting new drives in a server that old. If you really need to keep it alive you might be able to pick up some 10000 RPM 147GB U320 drives for around the same price as you got those SAS drives for.

I'd also strongly suggest not using RAID-0 for a web server.

Advertisement