Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque from Christmas - just realized I never cashed it...

Options
  • 25-06-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Well this is about the worst luck ever - I got a cheque for Christmas from somone and it's literally just occurred to me that I didn't lodge it. Just looked now and the date was the 25th of December (six months to the day) and all the banks are now shut. Do you think there' any chance at all they would still let me lodge it tomorrow or am I screwed? I can't get it re issued for ages since the person who gave it to me is out of the country :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Well this is about the worst luck ever - I got a cheque for Christmas from somone and it's literally just occurred to me that I didn't lodge it. Just looked now and the date was the 25th of December (six months to the day) and all the banks are now shut. Do you think there' any chance at all they would still let me lodge it tomorrow or am I screwed? I can't get it re issued for ages since the person who gave it to me is out of the country :confused:

not sure if there's a time limit, is there? I'd say you'll be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ConkerTheKing

Last time I had an old cheque they told me it was 6 months, but that was a bizarre incident when I found a 2 year old cheque. Maybe they'd make an exception since this literally only a day over the limit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

A cheque is regarded as out-of-date 6 months after the date shown on the cheque. A bank will normally return a cheque unpaid if it is presented after that date. Normally, the drawer will be prepared to amend the date and initial the amendment, or alternatively, issue a new cheque. If the drawer is not so prepared, then the payee can use the unpaid cheque to initiate court proceedings against the payee

http://www.howbankingworks.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=32#The_date

cheque will be cancelled by the bank after 6 months so it might bounce if you try to cash it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Unfortunately a cheque is only valid for 6 months. If you had got it through today you would have been ok, but they can't lodge it tomorrow for you. You could get on to whoever gave you the cheque and ask them could they write you a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Id go into the branch the cheque was drawn on - today
    Try to talk to someone on the customer services counter
    I think you could get away with it, as its only one day over the 6mth period

Id do it early though

idea - you could argue banks were not open on 25th Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

You should also advise the person who gave you the cheque and let them know you are finally cashing it!

All that is required is for them to change the date on the cheque and initial the change

Advertisement