Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best BBQ Marinade Ever!

Options
  • 25-06-2009 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

BBQ season is well upon us by now and if you're a fan of BBQ sauces or marinades you have to try this. It's been in our family since my dad ripped it out of a newspaper in the 70s and we don't have a barbeque without it!

You just put all these ingredients in a blender:

1 tsp chilli powder
    1 tsp celery/garlic salt
    2 tblsp soft brown sugar
    2 tblsp white wine vinegar
    2 tblsp worcester (sp?) sauce
    3 tblsp tomato ketchup
    1/4 pint water
    Tobasco sauce to taste (I lash in a good bit because love it spicy!)

It's unreal! Marinade your chicken/sausage/burgers/whatever in it before barbequeing and keep basting them while they're cooking. I also pour it all over my food when it's cooked! It's quite runny though so if you want it more like a sauce, just put less water and more ketchup in or else don't bother with the water. We've given the recipe to so many people and they've all loved it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

apart from the celery/garlic salt i use the exact same exept i use garlic powder are small then slices of garlic cut with a razor blade so they melt (as i slearned in the goodfellas movie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I lie this one

meat:
    thick set of pork ribs
    joint of lamb
    whole chicken

marinade:
    4 to 5 cloves
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tbs fennel seeds
    1 tsp black pepper
    2/3 tsp salt
    handful of fresh rosemary leaves
    10 fresh bay leaves
    bunch thyme use the tips and leaves
    1 whole bulb of garlic peeled
    peeled zest of an orange
    4 tsp smoked paprika
    half bottle of balsamic vinegar
    juice of 1 orange
    whole bottle of organic ketchup
    olive oil.

Make marinade
    bash cloves,cumin,fennel seeds,black pepper and salt in a pestle and mortar.
    roughly chop herbs, garlic, orange rind. mix it all with the wet ingredients.

Meat
    Make sure you score the lamb before you rub this BBQ mixture on it and cut chicken down the backbone then flatten, score the meat and rub in the marinade. Place all meats onto 2 roasting pan ( lamb in one and chicken and pork in the other) cover with foil and put into oven to roast for 1 1/4 hours on about 375F then dip into marinade again and place onto BBQ to crisp, for about 45 min. Be sure to put all the oven roasting juices into a pot to reduce, you could bring any remaining marinade to a boil and add to the pan juices too, use a rosemary bunch to mop or brush the marinade onto the meats as they crisp up.....

jami oliver one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Hogzy wrote: »
    apart from the celery/garlic salt i use the exact same exept i use garlic powder are small then slices of garlic cut with a razor blade so they melt (as i slearned in the goodfellas movie)

Gawwwwwwwwwd. If I hear/ read anyone else mention that bit.

Is that the most memorable part of that movie? A man slicing a clove of garlic?? It seems to be. Never mind all the violence and humour, . . theres no humour. But ye know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Gawwwwwwwwwd. If I hear/ read anyone else mention that bit.

Is that the most memorable part of that movie? A man slicing a clove of garlic?? It seems to be. Never mind all the violence and humour, . . theres no humour. But ye know what I mean.

Im sorry i didnt think my barbeque reciepe for sleighed human limbs would go down well on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think Snow Monkeys' recipe wins, anything with citrus juices is an instant win with me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I think Snow Monkeys' recipe wins, anything with citrus juices is an instant win with me!

its jaime olivier's :o but I like his cookery style, He doesn't cook like the dinosaurs of celeb chef's
    Rhode's Ramsey, Stein, Thompson, Boaurdain etc... But yet gets so much greif from some of them... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I lie this one

meat:
    thick set of pork ribs
    joint of lamb
    whole chicken

marinade:
    4 to 5 cloves
    1 tsp cumin
    2 tbs fennel seeds
    1 tsp black pepper
    2/3 tsp salt
    handful of fresh rosemary leaves
    10 fresh bay leaves
    bunch thyme use the tips and leaves
    1 whole bulb of garlic peeled
    peeled zest of an orange
    4 tsp smoked paprika
    half bottle of balsamic vinegar
    juice of 1 orange
    whole bottle of organic ketchup
    olive oil.

Make marinade
    bash cloves,cumin,fennel seeds,black pepper and salt in a pestle and mortar.
    roughly chop herbs, garlic, orange rind. mix it all with the wet ingredients.

Meat
    Make sure you score the lamb before you rub this BBQ mixture on it and cut chicken down the backbone then flatten, score the meat and rub in the marinade. Place all meats onto 2 roasting pan ( lamb in one and chicken and pork in the other) cover with foil and put into oven to roast for 1 1/4 hours on about 375F then dip into marinade again and place onto BBQ to crisp, for about 45 min. Be sure to put all the oven roasting juices into a pot to reduce, you could bring any remaining marinade to a boil and add to the pan juices too, use a rosemary bunch to mop or brush the marinade onto the meats as they crisp up.....

jami oliver one...

Thought I had a lot of spices n ingredients in my larder (press). If I try make this marinade, still gotta pick up basket in shop.

Sounds great though.

Advertisement