Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help me please with my 1st car

• 25-06-2009 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

sorry to bore you with this but i have 3 grand to spend on a car and i need some help.

it must be a 1.0 and it must be reliablwe with a relatively low milage.

this is the best i came up with :

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Polo/1Litre/200924193107327/advert?channel=CARS

i was wondering 2 things:

is a 3 door polo significantly smaller than 5 door?

and is it dodgy that this dealer isn't offering any warrenty or isn't SIMI registered.

this is a bit of a quick buy for me becaure i really need the car for next week.

Thanks a million for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

sportswear wrote: »
    sorry to bore you with this but i have 3 grand to spend on a car and i need some help.

it must be a 1.0 and it must be reliablwe with a relatively low milage.

this is the best i came up with :

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Polo/1Litre/200924193107327/advert?channel=CARS

i was wondering 2 things:

is a 3 door polo significantly smaller than 5 door?

and is it dodgy that this dealer isn't offering any warrenty or isn't SIMI registered.

this is a bit of a quick buy for me becaure i really need the car for next week.

Thanks a million for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interior space is the exact same just access is a little more restricted due it being a 3 door.
    Your are legally entitled to a 3 month warranty regardless.
    SIMI, wouldn't worry about it.

As for the car get somebody to check it out for you. Bear in mind your not doing yourself any favours rushing into purchasing a car, allowing yourself only a week is a disadvantage you don't need.
    I'd suggest you look for Toyota Yaris 1.0, may cost a a few bob more but a better car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

thanks very much for that that was useful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I'd suggest you look for Toyota Yaris 1.0, may cost a a few bob more but a better car.

Mechanically, yes, but possibly the most unpleasant thing to sit in since the Middle Ages. OP, why do you think you need a 1.0 litre car?

Test a Fiesta 1.25, yards better than either the crappy Polo or reliable but nasty Yaris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Zube wrote: »
    Mechanically, yes, but possibly the most unpleasant thing to sit in since the Middle Ages. OP, why do you think you need a 1.0 litre car?

Test a Fiesta 1.25, yards better than either the crappy Polo or reliable but nasty Yaris.

Indeed, the insurance wont be that different on anything up to 1.4, so i wouldn't get so hung up on the 1ltr thing. And i would +1 that suggestion of a ford fiesta, nice little cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

cos i crashed my mas car in october and the insurance is crippling in anything other than a 1.0 .

thanks

• Advertisement

As the OP wants a 1.0lt at small money I'd presume esthetics & ergonomics are not high on the list of priorities? Having driven several Yaris's I don't think the interior looks are really a problem plus it seems larger inside than the Polo.

cos i crashed my mas car in october and the insurance is crippling in anything other than a 1.0 .

3K for a 1L, I'll say 106.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Consider a Seat Ibiza , same engine as the polo but far cheaper to buy because they dont have the vw brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Stop getting caught up with the insurance!! 1.25l Fiesta is miles better than all 1l listed, besides the Yaris, but they are ugly!

You might pay an extra 500e in insurance, so what!! 2k will get you a good Fiesta, better than spending 3k on an unreliable, underpowered, boring yoke like a 1.0l Polo!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200919192733663

Look at the Fabia's too, good little cars!

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200916192532290

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Those polos have gearbox issues. $$$

That 106 is horrendously overpriced also

Fiesta or a Honda Jazz etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP have did you get an insurance quote on a Fiesta? Most insurance companies base their quotes on class of cars which means there might not be a whole world of difference in premiums between the two.

Here are two nice high spec (for a small car) Fiestas within your budget, comes with mod cons such as cd, air conditioning, etc:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200925194362732
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200917192604311

Personally I think that Polo is overpriced for what it is, no electric windows central locking ffs. Also if the garage are offering no warranty then they have no confidence in it. Given that it is a buyers market with plenty of choice I wouldn't even entertain it. The only reason to buy a used car from a dealer is for the peace of mind of a warranty. Othwise save yourself money and buy privately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

+1 on the Yaris. A nifty little motor, reliable and very easy to drive/hard to crash. :P Whatever ya do, with your budget and profile, buy Japanese. As others have alluded to, you get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of spec and they tend to give the least trouble.

pearcider wrote: »
    As others have alluded to, you get a lot more bang for your buck in terms of spec and they tend to give the least trouble.

Eh, no. You can argue that Jap cars are reliable if you want, but on price and spec, a Fiesta will beat a Yaris every time. Upthread we have a 2001 Fiesta Ghia 1.25 for €2250. A quick look on Carzone shows basic 2001 Yarissseses looking for 3 to 6k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

Eh, no. You can argue that Jap cars are reliable if you want, but on price and spec, a Fiesta will beat a Yaris every time. Upthread we have a 2001 Fiesta Ghia 1.25 for €2250. A quick look on Carzone shows basic 2001 Yarissseses looking for 3 to 6k.
    Fair enough. Those Fords are manky imho. :rolleyes:

pearcider wrote: »
    Those Fords are manky imho.

I wouldn't have bought one new back in 2001, I'd probably have bought a Clio or Peugeot, but at less than 3K, the Fiesta looks a good buy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    You might pay an extra 500e in insurance
    More like €100-200 extra if anything, and you'd be getting a car which isn't woefully underpowered and poverty specced like the 1.0 Polo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Insurance insurance insurance!!

1 liters are cheaper, which is espicially important to first timers!!

OP if your not interested in asthethics i'd look at the 1L starlets. there really reliable and cheap to run

For €3k you can get something much newer and safer than a Starlet. Also, IIRC all the EP90's (1996-1999) were 1.3's so you'd be talking about a real banger...

landyman wrote: »
    Insurance insurance insurance!!

1 liters are cheaper, which is espicially important to first timers!!

OP if your not interested in asthethics i'd look at the 1L starlets. there really reliable and cheap to run

A 1.0 litre Starlet hasn't been on sale since 1992.

As I've said already insurance companies might not even differenciate between a 1.0 Polo and a 1.25 Fiesta, same goes for the likes of a 1.2 Clio or 1.2 Punto. They probably put all these cars in the same class or group for insurance purposes. Insurance is not all about engine size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭Remo

without a doubt get yourself a Toyota.... may not be to fancy on the inside, but big time reliable

• Advertisement

Remo wrote: »
    without a doubt get yourself a Toyota.... may not be to fancy on the inside, but big time reliable

Yes indeed, pay twice too much to sit in a ball of the most hideous plastics ever invented by man or woman. Probably man, since any woman would have gone "AAAAAAAAH! Yuck! Kill it kill kill it!" at the design stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

The Yaris cost more for a good reason , they are more reliable than anything out there. They hold their value well which is good come re sale time.

Barr wrote: »
    The Yaris cost more for a good reason , they are more reliable than anything out there. They hold their value well which is good come re sale time.

But if you buy cheap to begin with you can sell cheap, is that not the same thing?

thanks

The OP is looking for a 1.0lt! Not 1.2, 1.25 or 1.3..............

bazz26 wrote: »
    But if you buy cheap to begin with you can sell cheap, is that not the same thing?

For a car of that age and price range, I would agree.
    The OP is looking for a 1.0lt! Not 1.2, 1.25 or 1.3..............

That's because the OP thinks insurance will be significantly more, which is untrue. There will not be more of a €300 difference in insurance between any typical supermini, 1.0-1.4 - which is negligable considering you can get a better car than a 1.0 Yaris or Polo for less.

That's because the OP thinks insurance will be significantly more, which is untrue. There will not be more of a €300 difference in insurance between any typical supermini, 1.0-1.4 - which is negligable considering you can get a better car than a 1.0 Yaris or Polo for less.

Hard work this! The OP states the reason for getting a 1.0lt car is because ''the insurance is crippling in anything other than a 1.0lt''.

A Toyota "holds its value" because Toyota fans insist on buying Toyotas, even if they could buy two Fiestas for the same money, or buy one Fiesta and keep two thousand euros in their pockets.

Two thousand.

And the Fiesta is a nicer car then the Yaris, too.

Wouldn't be hard, since the Yaris has been the nastiest car on sale here since they thankfully stopped making Starlets, until Nissan brought the Tiida.

A Toyota "holds its value" because Toyota fans insist on buying Toyotas, even if they could buy two Fiestas for the same money, or buy one Fiesta and keep two thousand euros in their pockets.

Two thousand.

And the Fiesta is a nicer car then the Yaris, too.

Wouldn't be hard, since the Yaris has been the nastiest car on sale here since they thankfully stopped making Starlets, until Nissan brought the Tiida.

The Fiesta is neither here nor there as it's not a 1.0lt. Do you not understand the OP's original request?

Hard work this! The OP states the reason for getting a 1.0lt car is because ''the insurance is crippling in anything other than a 1.0lt''.

Yes, we saw that, but we don't believe it.

I keep seeing posters here saying that they can't go above 1.4, or 1.6 or 2.0 or whatever for insurance reasons. What they mean is that they haven't checked with their insurance, and then done their sums.

If insurance is 100 more, that's two fills of fuel in a wee car, one in a bigger one. 500 more, spend a grand less on the car.

Tax? Add it up, do your sums, buy an older car, but this "I can't go above 1.0 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.6 1.9" business is bull.

• Advertisement

Yes, we saw that, but we don't believe it.

I keep seeing posters here saying that they can't go above 1.4, or 1.6 or 2.0 or whatever for insurance reasons. What they mean is that they haven't checked with their insurance, and then done their sums.

If insurance is 100 more, that's two fills of fuel in a wee car, one in a bigger one. 500 more, spend a grand less on the car.

Tax? Add it up, do your sums, buy an older car, but this "I can't go above 1.0 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.6 1.9" business is bull.

How much is the OP being charged for insurance after an accident?
    I'd personally buy a 1.2 or 1.4 car over a 1.0lt but insurance ain't an issue for me.

Advertisement