Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qs about Psychology Course in UCD

Options
  • 25-06-2009 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Hi people,

I'm 24 years old working in the IT industry after completing a BSc(Hons).

I am very interested in becoming a counselling psychologist and i had a few questions relating to UCD psychology courses.
    I've been reading through the website and information booklets but im finding it a little difficult to get the answers i want.

DN012
    DN054
    DN077. these are the three courses i can find which are psyhcology based, is this a full list?

DN054 seems to be the only one which would help me getting to my end career of counseling psychologist. I've read through the Mature students handbook and this course is not listed as either Accessible to Mature students or UnAccessible to mature students. Would anyone in the know be able to clarify this?

Also Does UCD provide part time psychology courses? I work a full time job and im not in a position to change this. PT courses seem to be alot more prevalient in other colleges im looking at so im unsure if im missing something.

I see that applications should have been made by Feb. Are they really strict on this. Is there any chance i could apply to these courses now?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Goonerette

Hey,

If you wish to become a psychologist, you must do the DN054 course which is the psychology 'single major' course. Only it will allow you to register with the PSI once you've completed it and allow you to apply for counselling / clinical postgrad training. In UCD you can no longer major in psychology if you're an arts omnibus student (DN012); you can only take psychology as a minor in years 2 and 3.

Here's a list of PSI accredited psychology courses: http://www.psihq.ie/accred_UnderGradList.asp

The DN054 course is accessible to mature students, yes. As far as I know, the year I started (2006) they accepted 5 mature students. However, the application date for this year has already passed as you can see.

Given that you already have a degree, why don't you look into the 2-year Higher Diploma in psychology? It's a full-time conversion course for graduates of other disciplines which gives you an equivalent qualification to the BA (Psychology). In UCD, the h.dip classes are shared with the undergrad classes in years 2 and 3 so the workload or the quality of education is really no different. All you do is skip the pretty useless first undergrad year which is made up of a handful of psychology modules and mostly other arts subjects which you'll never study again.

Advertisement