Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Querying VAT on Fedex invoice

Options
  • 25-06-2009 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

A friend recently got married and received a present of a painting from relatives in the US. A week later they got an invoice from Fedex for €56.

There's a number of Fedex sheets attached, which seem to be valuing the painting at over USD 350, converting it to Euro at a rate which is a few cents lower than the XE rate on that date, and charging VAT accordingly.

I've seen the picture - while it's quite nice, USD 350+ seems a bit excessive.

There's nothing in the attached documents from the Revenue. Is there any way of confirming that the Revenue valuation, or indeed challenging it if it seems excessive? She's no problem paying VAT, but it seems quite high.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

The Vat is on the combined cost of the picture & shippinng cost. My guess is they valued the picture at $200 & the shipping cost was probably $150.

Combined total $350

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

She'll need to get a receipt for the painting, and present this to FedEx to show how much it actually cost, then pay the VAT as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

darc wrote: »
    The Vat is on the combined cost of the picture & shippinng cost. My guess is they valued the picture at $200 & the shipping cost was probably $150.

Combined total $350

There's a page which seems to be from the shipper in the US which values the painting at 350+ and the shipping at 0, which seems a bit odd, so maybe shipping is included in that figure for some reason.
    jor el wrote: »
    She'll need to get a receipt for the painting, and present this to FedEx to show how much it actually cost, then pay the VAT as necessary.

Problem being that since it's a wedding present, and it was sent a few weeks ago, the sender mightn't have a receipt, plus I don't think she'd be happy asking relatives for receipts for her present.

THanks for the suggestions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

MOH wrote: »
    There's a page which seems to be from the shipper in the US which values the painting at 350+ and the shipping at 0, which seems a bit odd, so maybe shipping is included in that figure for some reason..
    Well if the sender values it at 350 USD then obviously this is what Fedex will go with; same way I can send a pen and claim it's worth 10 grand and Fedex will run with that number until I can prove that it's cheaper.

Since for Fedex only looks at total value it does not matter in this case what the exact split would be. Also keep in mind that those 56 EUR includes a 10 (or something in that area) charge as well for Fedex handling fee.

Advertisement