Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield Heroes OUT

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No fanfare, but seems to be live and out of beta. About to check it out..

http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/frontpage/landingPage

Not quite a final release it seems, they just removed the security layer login and the need for beta keys, effectively making it open beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

much the same thing really.

Oh, and with PCZone this month ye get 6 quid worth of battle points, i lost my magazine though.

Time to take a pen and paper to Easons methinks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

SeantheMan wrote: »
    pen and paper

pen...? .... paper.... ? :confused: what are these mystical contraptions you speak of?

In our time we have what's called a "camera phone"

Anyway, thanks OP for the update. Haven't played it yet. Is it any good? Are there small sized maps that could be used for small rounds of DM or CTF?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

L31mr0d wrote: »
    pen...? .... paper.... ? :confused: what are these mystical contraptions you speak of?

In our time we have what's called a "camera phone"

Anyway, thanks OP for the update. Haven't played it yet. Is it any good? Are there small sized maps that could be used for small rounds of DM or CTF?

There's three maps currently. Two medium-ish sized, and one smaller, more focussed one. It's conquest mode only, no DM, no CTF.

Spear wrote: »
    It's conquest mode only, no DM, no CTF.

What does conquest mode play like? Is it like Onslaught mode in UT2k4

• Advertisement

What does conquest mode play like? Is it like Onslaught mode in UT2k4

Same as in all the BF series, capture a series of flag locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was on the beta of this, have to say I didn't find it all that great. I will also add that you will never catch me buying battlefunds with real money :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

For free I certainly can't argue, I had fun while I was playing yesterday. Honestly though, I wasn't sure what I was doing, I don't think conquest mode was actually explained to me. Sure there were flags. We captured all of them. Then we killed everyone a few times. And won. Something like, each team has a certain amount of points, which decrease as you shoot enemies, and this rate is faster if you have more flags? Whatever.

Actually it was weird, I probably played 10-15 rounds, and the Axis guys won every single time, although it was very close once or twice.

I don't think I'd ever buy the battle points myself, but you're likely to find yourself at a big disadvantage most of the time. There was this one git (with no pants) who was able to disappear completely (so was the scout class) and he would hang around the same little rat-runs. You'd attack him, he would shoot you once or twice and turn invisible/flee. As you chase, he'd be dropping or have powerful mines all over his route and you'd lose him or get damaged, then when you leave he'd decloak and shoot you with a powerful sniper rifle. The rifle at least I'm sure is a bought weapon (think I recognised it later in the store) and I'd guess the mines everywhere were a bought powerup. Getting killed every time was pretty annoying.

The style is fun, even the music is quite catchy, but I think constantly being under equipped because I won't buy stuff will make this difficult to enjoy long term

In conquest mode, each side has number of decaying tickets. Respawning also costs a ticket. Holding flags stops the tickets decaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

For free I certainly can't argue, I had fun while I was playing yesterday. Honestly though, I wasn't sure what I was doing, I don't think conquest mode was actually explained to me. Sure there were flags. We captured all of them. Then we killed everyone a few times. And won. Something like, each team has a certain amount of points, which decrease as you shoot enemies, and this rate is faster if you have more flags? Whatever.

Actually it was weird, I probably played 10-15 rounds, and the Axis guys won every single time, although it was very close once or twice.

I don't think I'd ever buy the battle points myself, but you're likely to find yourself at a big disadvantage most of the time. There was this one git (with no pants) who was able to disappear completely (so was the scout class) and he would hang around the same little rat-runs. You'd attack him, he would shoot you once or twice and turn invisible/flee. As you chase, he'd be dropping or have powerful mines all over his route and you'd lose him or get damaged, then when you leave he'd decloak and shoot you with a powerful sniper rifle. The rifle at least I'm sure is a bought weapon (think I recognised it later in the store) and I'd guess the mines everywhere were a bought powerup. Getting killed every time was pretty annoying.

The style is fun, even the music is quite catchy, but I think constantly being under equipped because I won't buy stuff will make this difficult to enjoy long term

Yeah, you kill people to decrease their points and the number of flags you have means it goes faster or not.

The Battlefunds you pay real monies for is only used to buy 2 things: clothing and short time experience or victory point boosts (its either 150% or 200%). Weapons are bought with victory points earned by time spent ingame, getting kills, taking flags, completing missions. Stuff like the stealth and I think the bomb are bought with skill points gained by levelling up. So you cant buy a better character loadout than another player, you can only speed up your advancement slightly.

And yeah, Nationals do win a lot, but from what I have seen on both sides they work more as teams than the Royals do. Stick close to your teammates if ya want to win.

Also, PC Gamer is doing the same deal as PC Zone, 920 free BF with the current issue (but only a week before the next issue is out). And from next week on (2 weeks for PC Zone), both will give out permanent clothing items over 4 months to make a pretty snazzy looking rocketeer outfit: PC Gamer has the Royals and PC Zone the Nationals.

And SeantheMan, the code is on the back on the DVD sleeve, not in the magazine....if you still have that too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing that up. Think I'm looking forward to another crack at it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

any single player offline on this?

any single player offline on this?

Well I guess you could run around the tutorial, but no not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

its a free game so i might as well check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ive been having a lot of problems with lag and getting kicked from servers
    I could point out several things that i dont like about the game, but given that its free ill hold back, it is quite fun for what it is.

yeah its fun when you actually get to play it. I don't like that the game shuts down when you can't join a game... also, why does it force me to open up the game via my browser :confused: I really hope they remove that once its released

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

yeah its fun when you actually get to play it. I don't like that the game shuts down when you can't join a game... also, why does it force me to open up the game via my browser :confused: I really hope they remove that once its released

Erm......its a browser game, it has to run from a browser. And it is officialy released, theres not gonna be a straight download of the game or a box copy or anything.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Erm......its a browser game, it has to run from a browser.

what part of the game runs from the browser? When I click on the link in the browser I can then close it and it will proceed to load the game that's been installed on my PC. My question is why is the step of opening the browser to click on the link even needed?

Like today, the site must of been getting slashdotted, but I had to wait for it to load the link so I could click on it, which would start the game on my PC. It just seems like a really irish way of doing the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It won't download for me.... :(

Anyone got a direct link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It might be free, but it's been two hours wasted of my life.

Taking a break from TF2, decide to give BH a quick go. Download. Install. Go off doing something else for 20 minutes and come back to find the install hanging. Click the cancel button, install ends normally. Try to reinstall. "Install is already running" - no it's not.

Close my browser in case there's something in there that makes it think it's running, try again. Same problem. Check task manager - although the install apparently ended normally, there's still a process running. Kill it, install again, get some error about punkbuster but install still completes.

Try the game, do the training map, join a game in progress. Game ends, leave the map, get a message saying kicked by "punkbuster (22)". Try to join another map, immediately get disconnected "(15)". REboot, try again, same problem.

Google for solution, suggests creating another character. Try that, no joy, more googling. Try creating a character for the other side (why should this make a difference?). It works, succeed in joining a map. Game ends, try to join another map, "error(15)" again. Can't succeed in joining any game with any character.

More googling, find a longish thread suggesting I uninstall/reinstall. Of course, uninstalling doesn't delete the BH folder, a number of BH-related registry keys, or anything to do with the punkbuster client it installed without asking for permission. Uninstall punkbuster, manually delete the leftover registry keys and other bits and pieces.

Next step is to reboot and reinstall. Instead, I solve all my problems by opening Steam and going back to TF2.

It might be a decent game, but I'll never know. But at the moment it suffers from:
    - broken installer
    - installs additional software (PB) without asking (I think, could be wrong on this)
    - seemingly random disconnections with pointless error messages
    - useless FAQ on the website
    - forums full of problems with no official responses
    - uninstaller doesn't actually uninstall everything
    - uninstaller doesn't uninstall (or tell you about) any of the additional punkbuster stuff that was installed with the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stephen wrote: »
    I was on the beta of this, have to say I didn't find it all that great. I will also add that you will never catch me buying battlefunds with real money :pac:
    Likewise. I'm half-tempted to just uninstall it, cos I haven't played in over 6 months. The flying isn't bad, but I found the general gameplay boring as f**k. Waiting on September for 1943 on the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

MOH wrote: »
    It might be a decent game, but I'll never know. But at the moment it suffers from:
    - broken installer
    - installs additional software (PB) without asking (I think, could be wrong on this)punkbuster stuff that was installed with the game.

The installer worked fine for me and punkbuster is not automatically installed you have to do it yourself. I had a problem getting kicked all the time but changed the map option and now its sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 cobrastarship

i like it good game for free anywhy what do you think you get for free cod 4 up to lv7 on it now

Advertisement