Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Athlone

Options
  • 25-06-2009 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Iv had broadband with Eircom for the past 2 years, worked fine untill 2 weeks ago. The DSL light started blinking and and I couldnt get online. Rang up eircom about it, they told me to do all the usuall crap, unplug all the phones and plug the modem directly into the wall blah blah blah......
    Still didnt work. Randomly the next morning it started working again the next morning but my speeds were about 300 down, they are usually about 1800/1950 down. Rang them up again and they said they would send out engineers. Got a call back from them telling me that my lines not suitable for broadband and I could cancel and get my connection fee back. How does this make any sense? It worked perfect for 2 years and now its not suitable?
    Any idea's greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Someone has swopped your line onto a pairgain most likely.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

What does that mean MC?
    Eircom had some guy up the pole outside my house and then things got slow:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's possible, but extremely unlikely. There are so many more plausible reasons why someone's DSL went walkies or became far lower in speed.

Also, DSL **CANNOT** work over any pairgain that I've ever heard in existence on the eircom network and even if the pairgain/DSLAM combos were used, they'd be specced to work at 1024/128.

What exchange are you on chrismon? There are 3 I think in Athlone, before you chastise me:p Also, the best thing to do is pressurise eircom again. If it doesn't work, raise a complaint with them. The inherent logic in the fact that it worked grand for 2 years has to count for something.

Anyway, could you get the DSL line statistics from your modem for me? I expect you'll find them at 192.168.1.254, then you've to enter expert mode, then go and look for the statistics button.

Finally, could you give a decent guess as to how far from the exchange you are? To find out what exchange you're on, if you don't know, bang in your number here: http://www.btireland.ie/24mb/24_checker.html

Advertisement