Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Trap

Options
  • 25-06-2009 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    Got a fine notice for exceeding the speed limit at parkmore kilkenny whereabouts is parkmore it was a camrea job so was just wondering where is it parked up to click the cars, has anyone else been done out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Callan/Kilkenny road is 100km/hour in that area, in fairness if your doing any faster you deserve a ticket.

Its a pretty reasonable speed considering the road is not a motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    Hi Folks
    Got a fine notice for exceeding the speed limit at parkmore kilkenny whereabouts is parkmore it was a camrea job so was just wondering where is it parked up to click the cars, has anyone else been done out there?
    How many days between the offence and getting the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Usually about a week.

Stephen wrote: »
    Usually about a week.
    I am safe so:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I got my anus widened through the medium of post yesterday to the tune of eighty Europes... twice because of this hellish photo devise from beyond the dark abyss. 90 Kph in a 60 zone at Shellumsrath (near Parkmore) at 11PM if you don't mind.

Wouldn't mind if only the Shady Blues employed the same fervour and efficiency to rounding up the vast league of mechanised turbo-cúnts that stalk the ring-road most weekends with their clapped-out buzzing riceboy shítwagons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Load of rubbish. If "road safety" was the priority then they'd have found the cash to re-align that god-awful stretch of road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

I was doing 80kph it was a 60kph zone, anyone else caught zaped there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I got my anus widened through the medium of post yesterday to the tune of eighty Europes... twice because of this hellish photo devise from beyond the dark abyss. 90 Kph in a 60 zone at Shellumsrath (near Parkmore) at 11PM if you don't mind.

Wouldn't mind if only the Shady Blues employed the same fervour and efficiency to rounding up the vast league of mechanised turbo-cúnts that stalk the ring-road most weekends with their clapped-out buzzing riceboy shítwagons.

To be fair, 90kph in a 60 zone is too fast. I agree with you totally about the idiots on the ring road. It's not just the weekend that they're doing it. I heard a real live version of The Fast and the Furious on the Castlecomer Road around 1:30am Monday or Tuesday night. With added squealing tyres sound effects :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I agree, it is too fast for a normal 60 zone, but my issues are as follows:

1) That is a national primary route and the 60 zone goes pretty much out as far as the turn off for the boot fair and nobody obeys it. It exists simply because the area is blighted with your typical rural ireland unplanned linear bungalow sprawl half the way out to Callan, and for no other reason.

2) This is a money-making racket. In ten years on the road I have been caught speeding 3 times. All 3 were in 30 / 40 mph zones. Twice last Wednesday at 11PM / 11.15 and once about 4 years ago on the Comer road at 8AM on a Sunday morning. What road fatalities occur in these areas at these times? Very few, I would imagine. Same goes for motorways. In my opinion it is perfectly safe to drive at 160 km/h on a motorway. Why? Because they do it legally in Germany without problems.

These areas are easy pickings for the shades to rake in cash and meet their quota. Stinging people for speeding in such places does fúck all to address the accident and death rate. All it does it p1ss me off and make me slightly less well off.

The pigeroos would be better speeding their time and effort breathalising twice as many people, and catching speeders on country roads at weekends, which is where people get killed.... not in 60 zones in the middle of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Post of the day, imo. :D:D:D

Al.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In ten years on the road I have been caught speeding 3 times. All 3 were in 30 / 40 mph zones. .

and yet you've still not got the message that if you slow down you won't get fined :D

Perhaps next time around eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I agree, it is too fast for a normal 60 zone, but my issues are as follows:

1) That is a national primary route and the 60 zone goes pretty much out as far as the turn off for the boot fair and nobody obeys it. It exists simply because the area is blighted with your typical rural ireland unplanned linear bungalow sprawl half the way out to Callan, and for no other reason.

2) This is a money-making racket. In ten years on the road I have been caught speeding 3 times. All 3 were in 30 / 40 mph zones. Twice last Wednesday at 11PM / 11.15 and once about 4 years ago on the Comer road at 8AM on a Sunday morning. What road fatalities occur in these areas at these times? Very few, I would imagine. Same goes for motorways. In my opinion it is perfectly safe to drive at 160 km/h on a motorway. Why? Because they do it legally in Germany without problems.

These areas are easy pickings for the shades to rake in cash and meet their quota. Stinging people for speeding in such places does fúck all to address the accident and death rate. All it does it p1ss me off and make me slightly less well off.

The pigeroos would be better speeding their time and effort breathalising twice as many people, and catching speeders on country roads at weekends, which is where people get killed.... not in 60 zones in the middle of the night.

It doesn't matter what time of the day it was you were caught at. Breaking the speed limit is an offence 24 hours a day.

The majority of road traffic accidents happen during twilight hours and after dark. Check the Road Safety Authority website for data.

Usually the Gardai set up a speed trap in an area like that if there's been a complaint from a resident of speeding in the area, or if there's been a few knocks on the stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

I think i have to claim the record for this one. I was coming home from work about a year and a half ago a passed a squad car in the ditch at the straight bit in three castles on the way back from freshford. He pulled me over for doin 100 in what is an 80 but should be a 100 zone.
    Slightly miffed but willing to accept my medicine i continued on my way home.
    Now i hadnt been home in a few days so when i got in the door there was post waiting for me. As i opened my mail to my horror there was not one but 2 seperate speed camera fines from various locations and times. So that means in the space of 15mins i had accrued 240 euro worth of fines and 6 penalty points!:eek: Surely that is a record!

jiggajt wrote: »
    He pulled me over for doin 100 in what is an 80 but should be a 100 zone.

Doesn't matter what you think a zone should be, its a 80km zone so your breaking the law if your going faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There's plenty of utterly ridiculous speed limits, both those that are too high (such as the 80k limit on the poxy little boreen with grass growing in the middle of it just off the comer road) and those that are too low (such as the above).

Councils were supposed to review speed limits when they changed the MPH signs to KPH, but did they? Did they f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Cabaal wrote: »
    jiggajt wrote: »
    He pulled me over for doin 100 in what is an 80 but should be a 100 zone.

Doesn't matter what you think a zone should be, its a 80km zone so your breaking the law if your going faster.

Sorry Cabaal but i was simply pointing out that that particular stretch of road is of a particularly high quality.

Most people who travel the freshford road regularly know that it is of a far superior quality to the adjacent Ballyragget road and yet the ballyragget road is 100 km/hr despite its multiple hump back bridges and sharp blind corners.

Stephen wrote: »
    Councils were supposed to review speed limits when they changed the MPH signs to KPH, but did they? Did they f**k.
    Don't be blaming the poor council men we all know that they are over worked as it is ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

A lot of speed limits are stupid. All those old national primary routes around the country which have now been superceded by motorways are automatically downgraded to regional routes as far as I know. So one week you can do 100kph on it (if you're not caught up in a traffic jam) and the next you can only do 80kph on it.

Advertisement