Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrap or keep ?

• 25-06-2009 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I have a 01 Rover 25 and 1 st gear keeps popping out, I brought it to a mechanic who said it was an internal problem with the gear box and i would need a new gear box, the new gear box plus labour will come to a 1000 euro but he was saying he doubts the car is even worth that. Although its 01 with only 47,000 miles its has a few dents and scratches and I am just wondering if i should invest so much in the car or scrap it during these recessionary times. All opinions will be gratefully recieved as i am so unsure about what to do. Thank for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

annelouise wrote: »
    I have a 01 Rover 25

Scrap.

Sorry, reflex response there.

Do you cover a lot of mileage in 1st? Try keeping your hand on the gearstick until you get to 2nd.

Or just start in 2nd if it's really bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Definitely wouldn't be putting 1000 into that car. Your mechanic is right, it's not even worth that. I'd be looking at a replacement, your rover would turn into a money pit otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

This is a no brainer really - its just not worth putting €1000 into that car especially if the bodywork is not the best. You'll never see a return on your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

As said - use second. Drive it until it drops. Not worth putting money into it but it could drive away for years with that problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I can see four options on this car....

1. Use second instead of first till the car dies - best piece of advice..

2. Spend the money and repair it - worst piece of advice

3. Bring it to a second mechanic and get a second quote ( see about used parts instead of new parts)

4. scrap it....move on and buy another...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

You'd pick up a second handbox from a scrappy for 150 ish and then shouldn't cost more then 150 labour to put the box onto your car. I wouldn't spend any more then that though,

Scrap time if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

I agree with HungryJoey. I recently replaced a gearbox on a Rover620i. First quote I got was €600:eek: so when I came round from fainting I got a second opinion and got it done for €290

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 annelouise

hey do you mind me asking where you got it for 290. Yeah i am thinking drive it until it till it drops my NCT is up next month is it true that the NCT is no longer a legeal requirment for the car or have i been lied to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

hey NCT is up next month is it true that the NCT is no longer a legeal requirment for the car or have i been lied to ?

Big fat smelly lie......

go for a second hand box.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

hey do you mind me asking where you got it for 290. Yeah i am thinking drive it until it till it drops my NCT is up next month is it true that the NCT is no longer a legeal requirment for the car or have i been lied to ?

I got the gearbox at the scrapyard and brought it to a mechanic I know who did it as a nixer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

is it true that the NCT is no longer a legeal requirment for the car or have i been lied to ?

Lie, and you face up to 5 penalty points for not having and NCT displayed (if it goes to court). Though I'm not sure if that's actually active just yet. It's a mandatory court appearance though.
    mark1974 wrote: »
    I got the gearbox at the scrapyard and brought it to a mechanic I know who did it as a nixer.

This is the best bet. Even without knowing a mechanic, it shouldn't cost too much to have it fitted. Try a few different garages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭pcardin

One of the mates I know has a rover 414. Gearbox was gone. He got another one in scrapyard for 100e and then went to Lithuanian garage somewhere in Blanchardstown and got it fitted for 70e. So I would say don't scrap yours but get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

drive if the car is driveble, look for mechanic 1st thing, and where are you based ? i know somebody in wild west ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 annelouise

i am based in portlaoise but dont mind heading up to the big smoke or anywhere if i can save cash i am so cheap i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

i knew at least 2 lithuanian garages in PL , will check that for ya and PM if any luck:pac:

Advertisement