Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salford's Myler Dilemma...

Options
  • 25-06-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭

The uncertainty around the incredibly talented Richie Myler continues to grow with the Reds' Robbie Paul going on record saying that it would be better for the club to let him go, as he's not keen on staying at the club.

He's still got 18 months on his contact with the SL new boys and McCrae has said he's 'not contemplating life without him'...I reckon the Saints must be sniffing around for him, a natural successor to Long...anyone got any theories/ideas?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/super_league/salford/8119016.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

With a hot (young and British) property like Myler I would also expect Wigan and Wires to be interested.

What an exciting proposition Myler and Tompkins would make at half-back for Wigan, especially as it looks like they will have a big hole in there salary-cap losing Hock.

Money-bags Wires would also surely be looking at Myler as a long-term replacement for the over-rated and inconsistent Monaghan and Briers half-backs.

Then there could be a dark-horse like Hull or Huddersfield who have the financial resources to make a bid.

Myler and Offiah know there could be a bidding war for his services, Salford would be as well to cash in as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

How about Leeds swapping Burrows for him?

I'd be happy with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,764 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Please Bradford make a move...

I would say Celtic Crusaders would have a better chance of signing him:D

I somehow think Bradford's finances wouldn't be able to stretch that far - given that he has still 18 months left on his contract Salford will be looking for mega-bucks to let him go.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    I would say Celtic Crusaders would have a better chance of signing him:D

I somehow think Bradford's finances wouldn't be able to stretch that far - given that he has still 18 months left on his contract Salford will be looking for mega-bucks to let him go.

Oi, ha ha

true though, we are in the **** big time and i was kind of dreaming tbh :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

The latest Buzz is its a three horse race, Wigan, Wire and Saints apparently, at least thats what they were saying on Radio Leeds today. Sounds like Salford are going to make one of them pay dearly for the privelige....

I imagine Wire will win that race but you cna never rule out the appeal of Saints and Wigan. You can bet Saints will find the money from somewhere and stretch their wage cap that bit further.

Have they got a replacement for Long yet btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

p_larkin99 wrote: »

Have they got a replacement for Long yet btw?

Not to my knowledge, but I'd imagine the quest is pretty far advanced by this stage...

Saints have a ready-made replacement in Kyle Eastmond - it would be a real slap in the face for their excellent academy system if they brought in Myler.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    Saints have a ready-made replacement in Kyle Eastmond - it would be a real slap in the face for their excellent academy system if they brought in Myler.

I don't agree with that, it hasn't stopped them signing quality players in the past or any number of australians. The kids learn more from them and become even better players.

Still if Saints are going to hurry up and build there new stadium perhaps they need to save money and not be splashing it around needlessly.

So that leaves Wigan and Wire in for Myler, and Myler in with no chance of winning trophies :)

• Advertisement

I don't agree with that, it hasn't stopped them signing quality players in the past or any number of australians. The kids learn more from them and become even better players.

Still if Saints are going to hurry up and build there new stadium perhaps they need to save money and not be splashing it around needlessly.

So that leaves Wigan and Wire in for Myler, and Myler in with no chance of winning trophies :)

That may well have been the case in the past but attitudes are changing (influenced by reducing overseas player quotas and the salary cap) and developing young British players is now becoming a priority in SL.

Eastmond has the quality and potential to become a GB international if he is given the opportunity tp play regular first-team rugby. I am sure playing with Sean Long has helped his game to progress.

I'll bow to your knowledge. :)

So where do you think Myler will end up? Still Hull or Hudds?

I'll bow to your knowledge. :)

So where do you think Myler will end up? Still Hull or Hudds?

Doubt very much Hull (despite having the money) would go for Myler after taking Long for next season. Still think the Giants could be a dark horse, they have big ambitions, plenty of money and an average scrum-half in Robinson, though not sure though how they stand with the salary cap. Also reported to have been sniffing around Danny Brough but Kear would be unlikely to let him go.

Wires I am sure would be interested but they would have to off-load players to make some room on their salary cap, they were scuppered when their proposal to increase the salary cap by 5% was rejected by the other clubs.

Saints and Wigan both have space on their salary cap (after losing Long and Hock respectively) but the uncertainty over who is going to be Wigan coach next season is going to complicate them making a bid.

So basically I haven't a clue where he is going to end up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Wakey would you tell Lee Robinson's gang of sisters that he is a average SH ;) I wouldn't mind myself ^^

Advertisement