Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Assignment 16 - Odd One Out

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Actually my main reason for posting the query was to confirm the photo was not photo shopped or altered - I just had the feeling that some people might have thought it was a 'fake' or doctored (and I thought that was why Tallon removed his vote- I have no problem with it being removed for him/her seeing me as a smartarse or whatever- in fact I'm gald to hear that was the reason- and not the photo itself)

I have absolutely no problem in the voting and I have got a lot more votes on the Clonmacnoise headless saint than I would have dreamed of in a million years.

And I really wanted to know what makes people 'tick' in terms of voting - was it the concept or quality or a combination (which it seems to be).

I'm staying in Gallagher's Hotel in Letterkenny this week.

Their Wi fi system has not worked since I arrived- so to gain access to the internet I hae to drive 2 kms to the Errigal Hotel!

I just drove over now to congtatulate the winner of the Assignment - and to tell them that I am in Cork City for the next 2 weeks - so if the next theme could be on ' The River Lee' that would be just fine with me.

Hope I have not made too many enemies here:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Will you be in Letterkenny on Saturday night?
    I get back about 5pm, and I was thinking of going up to An Grainan - an ancient ring fort on the way to Derry. You're welcome to come along, or I could collect you?

As for your shots on the assignments - if I can be blunt - I'm not impressed!
    I've seen, and greatly admired, some of your shots in the random thread. Some of them are really fantastic, so I know you have the ability.

Then I see some of your assignment stuff, and feel it can lack imagination, and effort, which I find confusing.

I'd much prefer to vote for something that shows a spark of creativity, and imagination, over something that's technically correct.

Ok - that's my rant over!

Em, you're still welcome to join me on Saturday evening - but no throwing shapes eh? :D

mrmac wrote: »
    Will you be in Letterkenny on Saturday night?
    I get back about 5pm, and I was thinking of going up to An Grainan - an anc? :D

Thanks indeed MrMac for the invitation but heading home tomorrow - but the offer is deeply appreciated.

I totally agree that my performance in terms of photos submitted to the assignment fall way below the standard as do my reactions at times.

I know I hae annoyed people and probably made enemies(not a good thing to do on a voting site)

But a lot of it is cos I love taking photos and also cos I lilke people to like the photos I take - so that is what I am trying to find out what makes people vote for photos.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Pity about Saturday. If you're ever back up this way, give me a few days notice and I'm sure we can figure out something.

As for taking photos - I'm the same as you, I'll take a picture of anything! They're quite often, totally rubbish, but I do usually learn something from them. I often go back to the same place to see if I can do better.

I think you'll find that in the assignments, as with most commercial or "saleable" work, people will always enjoy shots that are "interesting", something that sparks an emotion or intrique. Look at KarmaGardas shot in this assignment. It's a classic, simple, full filled the brief, imaginative, and made me laugh!

While your shots full filled the requirements, they didn't catch my interest, except the one of the headless monk. That one got me thinking, so I voted for it.

This is just my opinion, and is purely what my voting prefernce is based on. I cannot speak for anyone else. I hope this doesn't sound derogatery, it's not meant to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

keps wrote: »
    Hope I have not made too many enemies here:D
    keps wrote: »
    I know I hae annoyed people and probably made enemies(not a good thing to do on a voting site)

Don't worry - people around here are far more sensible than that. We've all had to learn the way the place operates - you aren't terribly different from the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

mrmac wrote: »
    Look at KarmaGardas shot in this assignment. It's a classic, simple, full filled the brief, imaginative, and made me laugh!

:o thanks! Did I win then? Let me go count the votes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Jesus. I did. And after all the fussin and messin I was at with takin down me picture. I should be SHOT I tell ya!!!

hmm... that means I gotta put up an assignment then... I might do it tonight if ye don't mind. Not sure if I'll have the time tomorrow... let me fish something up...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Well now, wasn't there some interesting discussions during this challenge!

Well done KarmaGarda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

a worthy winner and a worthy runner up. well done folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

well done

Advertisement