Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made compostor?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Ok folks, i want to do my bit and find myself left with a spare refuse bin which i want to turn into a compostor of sorts? Now i know i can use teabags, eggshells, fruit and veg peelings, but what else do i use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

some grass,anything that rots really.
    Tip - keep it well away from your house. They tend to attract nests of vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

some grass,anything that rots really.
    Tip - keep it well away from your house. They tend to attract nests of vermin.

AH ****E REALLY:eek: Its n a wheelie bin at the back of the garden, well feck it anyway!

Yep, I moved mine earlier this year and it was full of mice. They love the heat in there generated from the composting process.
    Thats nature I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭BrigR

Cooked kitchen waste, especially meat and bones attrackts our furry friends. A layer of scrunched up newspaper, shredded cardboard or ripped up egg cartons will soak up liquid, combat bad smells and the carbon will speed up the breaking down process. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Navanboyo

If its a self contained bin, ie the bottom is still intact and you have a lid, then the vermin should not be a problem. The disadvantage is that no worms can get in either and they really help to breakdown the material.

Apart from the usual items mentioned, I use shredded up paper, used coffee grinds, old compost from pots, some grass clippings but not too much, any clippings from the garden, deadheaded roses and petals etc.

• Advertisement

ohhh, and a pint of water now and again helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

most garden centres now sell accelerator type products that speeds things up.

if i find random earthworms about, i stick them in too.

i made one up at my allotment, out of a few old pallets nailed together. works a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Mozart1986

Piss on it! That gets it going. Seriously!

Got any pics of Proof Mozart!?!?!? lol

Advertisement