Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-Pay Cards

Options
  • 25-06-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I am with Esb at the mo. have a Pre-Paid card that I pay into every week, don't want to pay by Direct Debit with all the security implications, does Bord Gais and Airtricity have these cards, will change over if they have and which one is the cheapest. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Register1

Not sure about cards but watch out on Bord Gas prices....promotoinal 10-14% cheaper than ESB does not include standing charges etc...prices only valid for a year.

Reg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Moved from Green Issues - mods, do as you will.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

As an aside, I didn't realise you could get a pre-pay card/meter system over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

byte wrote: »
    As an aside, I didn't realise you could get a pre-pay card/meter system over here.

Token meters. Avoids getting a large bill 2 months down the line. You buy top up, and insert the card into the meter. Landlords often have them installed for tenants.

They look like this:
    ampy.jpg

Op i dont think bord gais have a prepay facility like esb do. Thats about the only problem. esb networks would have to come to change the rate on the meter but thats it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Do you ask the ESB for one?

Sorry for dragging the thread a bit OT, just curious, as it seems a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Basically no, they ask you, you dont ask them. They were introduced for debt management more a less. The idea is if you owe €400, the meter is set to claw back €2 a week. This depends on the customer and the amount of debt. Meters can go in when a debt has occurred, then change of tenats, or financially things improve but the meter is just left in, but it still has to be changed every time the KWh rate changes, which is very costly. I know all electricity supplies are meant to have a prepayment option like token meters, but i think it was under such a conditon that a certain amount of customers need to have them to make it viable to install the support for them, thats why im not sure if bord gais have this. Hope that helps some what.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 artfreak

You can ring ESB Accouts/General Enquires to order a card, you can put in what you can afford every week on the card in the Post Office, I got a couple for family living with me, the bill is usually in credit when I get it. I dont know why the ESB dont advise customers about these cards, they have been around for a good few years. They called EASY-PAY.

Advertisement