Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fitting a plug socket

Options
  • 25-06-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

i need to put a plug socket in our hall can anyone tell me if this hard to do would it be exspensive thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I presume you mean a socket that a plug will go into, rather than you need to fit a plug?

Its not really hard electrically, it more finding best cable route, where to take it from etc. You may have a ring circuit, or it could be radial. Wired two different ways.

You best option is probably to get a sparks in, it will be done right and safe, and its not going to break the bank at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

i think it would cost about 70 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Is the fuse board in the hall near where you need the socket?

Is there another socket on the other side of the wall which power could be tapped from?

Is there a cable run going to another socket near where you want the hall socket?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

Davy wrote: »
    I presume you mean a socket that a plug will go into, rather than you need to fit a plug?

Its not really hard electrically, it more finding best cable route, where to take it from etc. You may have a ring circuit, or it could be radial. Wired two different ways.

You best option is probably to get a sparks in, it will be done right and safe, and its not going to break the bank at all.

yeah mean a socket that plug goes into yeah ill get a sparky in to to it right i wouldnt know where to start with job like that.
    Is the fuse board in the hall near where you need the socket?

Is there another socket on the other side of the wall which power could be tapped from?

Is there a cable run going to another socket near where you want the hall socket?
    fuse board isnt near the hall

no theres no socket on the other side of the wall to get power from

and i hav eno idea about the last question .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi pmcf

No its not a difficult job relatively speaking, but if you have difficulty understanding DublinDilberts last question you should avoid taking this job on. It's not very diffiuclt but some experience and a reasonable knowledge of DIY is required. When looking to add a socket electricians always look for the nearest installed socket to connect to, sometimes a socket is on the other side of a wall, adding a socket in this case would be a fast installation. Adding a socket to an isolated area with block walls, solid floor and a big distance between another socket would take a longer time/cost more to fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement