Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI...

• 25-06-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

Okay how about this for an idea....

Every couple of days I post up a certain amount of top players in a specific position. Posters vote on who they think the best player is, until eventually every position is filled and we have a Boards 'dream team' as such. Could be interesting to see the results, how certain players are viewed etc... and then in a years time do the same thing and see what has changed in world football.

Was thinking of breaking it down as follows...

GK: (One vote only, highest pick gets in)

CB: (2 votes, 2 highest get in)

RB: (One vote, highest gets in)

LB: (One vote, highest gets in)

Centre-Mid/Defensive Mid: (2 votes, highest 2 get in)

Attacking-Mid/Forward/Playmaker: (3 votes, highest 3 get in)

Striker: (One vote only, highest gets in)

So it'd be a 4-2-3-1 type formation that seems to be the favoured way of playing amongst top European sides. Feel free to nominate players to be included in a poll for each position.

We'll start off with the GK. After 2 or 3 days voting will close and the position will be filled, and then we'll move on to the right-back. All positions should be filled in about a month or so.

Best Goalkeeper in the World? 153 votes

Iker Casillas
    0% 0 votes
    Reina
    39% 60 votes
    Cech
    13% 20 votes
    Van der Saar
    0% 0 votes
    Buffon
    0% 1 vote
    Akinfeev
    28% 43 votes
    Julio Cesar
    2% 4 votes
    Shay Given
    4% 7 votes
    Coupet
    11% 18 votes
    Ochoa
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ah sure why not!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If Buffon doesn't get this you lot should have your football supporters licenced revoked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Nice Idea. City or Real may buy it for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Seaneh wrote: »
    If Buffon doesn't get this you lot should have your football supporters licenced revoked.
    TBH I don't watch Italian Football therefore I can't judge him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Indeed.. Italian football makes him look good anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

No problem. Don't vote if you're not qualified to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I voted for Reina - I like the shape of his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I like it.

It will be tricky to decide whats your voting panel

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Almunia has the worst best hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mayordenis wrote: »
    I voted for Reina - I like the shape of his head. I'm a Liverpool fan

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Julio Cesar for me.

He's always impressed me anytime I've seen him for Inter and Brazil and he's done very well in the Confed Cup this year.

Atm, he's ahead of Casillas (who had a very poor season) and Buffon (who seems to have stagnated a bit).

The others trail behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I voted for Okocha- handy to have a skilful playmaker between the sticks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

damn I hate hidden results.

I went for j. Cesar.

hmm ideas for cb

lots of these are perhaps dodgy, others very dodgy, they seem to be dying off - the great italians anyway

Carvalho, Terry, Bruno Alves, Ferdinand, Vidic, Juan, Raul Albiol, Milito?, Burdisso, Cordoba, Pepe, Cannavaro, Lescott, Hengeland, Carragher, Kompany, Distin, Cris, Chivu, Jakielka or Johnny Heitinga

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

hmm ideas for cb

lots of these are perhaps dodgy, others very dodgy, they seem to be dying off - the great italians anyway

Carvalho, Terry, Bruno Alves, Ferdinand, Vidic, Juan, Raul Albiol, Milito?, Burdisso, Cordoba, Pepe, Cannavaro, Lescott, Hengeland, Carragher, Kompany, Distin, Cris, Chivu, Jakielka or Johnny Heitinga

Keep the suggestions for nominees coming as I might forget someone who should be included. Next up will be Right-back, so beyond the obvious, if people want to suggest some fire away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

why do you say that Ziggy?

I don't think we can compete on Rb versus players such as Maicon and Alves for example,

and surely Xavi and Iniesta are in with a shout,
    Ibrahimovic should be but granted wont be picked
    Villa?

Besides surely goalkeeper will not be Cech/Reina/van der saar/Given

if they are then you are right it is just blind loyalty.

ziggy wrote: »

Doubt it to be honest. What prem right back or Goalkeeper do you expect to get in? Xavi and Iniesta will have a thing or 2 to say about the centre mid slots as well.

My guess is about a 6/5 split between Prem and non-Prem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Morzadec wrote: »
    Doubt it to be honest. What prem right back or Goalkeeper do you expect to get in? Xavi and Iniesta will have a thing or 2 to say about the centre mid slots as well.

My guess is about a 6/5 split between Prem and non-Prem.

wow we basically had the same thoughts/post.

you must rock too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Keep the suggestions for nominees coming as I might forget someone who should be included. Next up will be Right-back, so beyond the obvious, if people want to suggest some fire away

If Ramos is even nominated for RB I shall lol

Right back nominations are:

Maicon
    Alves.

that is all.

and Maicon wins, by a fooking mile.

Des wrote: »
    If Ramos is even nominated for RB I shall lol

I was reading a facebook thread on ramos, where everyone seemed to agree that he was the best defender in spain and there was some debate as to whether he was the best in the world are not.

Their opinions seemed to be wildly different from ours.

For me he has looked suspect in the euros, and champions league however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Sagna should also be in with a shout. Best PL RB currently imo. Although his form did suffer at times last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

Surely JOS will be in with a shout at RB?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

hmm ideas for cb

Well considering you didn't name the great italian centre back in your list that's understandable. Chiellini would make it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm with PHB on the Sagna nomination.

Another one i would put forward is Srna. He's better at going forward than defending but he's not that bad in defence. If Alves gets a nomination then Srna definitely should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

12 votes for Reina? Jaysus lads. He's not no.1 for his country ffs. :(

Loyd... Liverpool fans, are you really that shocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I hate how people like Van der Sar etc get awards for GK of the season, in reality it should be a goalkeeper who's tested on a regular basis and who's CB's depend upon him more than Vidic and Ferdinand do.

As for RB's I'd be inclined to give Glen Johnson a shout as well.

Voltwad wrote: »
    I hate how people like Van der Sar etc get awards for GK of the season, in reality it should be a goalkeeper who's tested on a regular basis and who's CB's depend upon him more than Vidic and Ferdinand do.

As for RB's I'd be inclined to give Glen Johnson a shout as well.

Kinda felt I had to put him in as a nominee due to his clean shet record and the fact he has won a lot of major trophys in the last couple of years, although I don't rate him all that highly.

You'll be glad to know he hasn't gotten a single vote yet anyway!

Lloyd - to be honest I'm more shocked at the amount of votes Given has got rather than Reina.

Poll result is very very close between two nominees. It'll be interesting to see who takes it. Poll closes on Sunday. I'll post up the Right-Back nominees on a seperate thread tomorrow, and we can keep this original thread as a general discussion thread.

I voted for Given. I know a lot of people would deride the idea of him being world class. But to me there is nothing between the top few keepers and he's one of them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,731 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd imagine it would be tougher to do nothing for 99.99% of the time and be able to keep the level of concentration to pull off the save when and if it comes.

An over worked keeper always looks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

In fairness there is nothing between Buffon, Casillas, Reina, Given etc. Its down to personal choice. Keeper is a very difficult position to differentiate as its hard to pick a difference between these guys. Club loyalty is always a factor in a position like this.

However out the field people have to accept Ronaldo, Torres and Messi as the best in the world regardless of their club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Buffon for me, Casillas a close second although seems to be making more mistakes recently?
    Cech a few seasons ago would have been my first choice although he has seemed to lose a bit of his presence and command he once had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

slingerz wrote: »
    However out the field people have to accept Ronaldo, and Messi as the best in the world regardless of their club

Lets see if the poll can be done so only one is on the eleven, as it ought to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Lets see if the poll can be done so only one is on the eleven, as it ought to be

One striker with those 2 behind would work very well IMO, but is this going to be a 4-4-2 team?

Centre-Mid/Defensive Mid: (2 votes, highest 2 get in)

Attacking-Mid/Forward/Playmaker: (3 votes, highest 3 get in)

Striker: (One vote only, highest gets in)

So it'd be a 4-2-3-1 type formation that seems to be the favoured way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Vote for the formation as well? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Seaneh wrote: »
    Loyd... Liverpool fans, are you really that shocked?

I'm a Liverpool fan, so...yeah.

• Advertisement

Vote for the formation as well? :D

I think the formaton I suggested probably makes the most sense for the following reasons:

-Most top sides are playing this formation or a variant of this formation.

-It's the formation that will enable us to fit in the most players who are generally considered to be the top players in the world (the attacking midfield/winger/playmaker positions), while still maintaining a balanced team.

-Players in these positions are less pigeon-holed into specific sides nowadays. It'd be difficult to limit Ronaldo or Messi to only right mid/wing position, as they are mobile players who shift around. I think just voting on the top 3 attacking mids solves this problem, as all 3 could probably fit into any of these positions.

I'm open to suggestions on this though. Another possibility would be to break up the non-Centre Forward attacking positions as follows...

-2 wingers/predominantly wide attacking players (2 votes, 2 highest get in)

-1 second striker/playmaker/ predominantly central player (1 vote, highest gets in.) (I'm thinking Gerrard,Kaka, Villa, Rooney etc... would be the type of candidates for this position).

I think it might complicate it a bit doing this way (e.g do you put Robinho in the winger category along with Messi, Ronny, Ribery etc..., or in with the Second Striker/ Central position?) but it could probably work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Or perhaps vote on 12 or 13 players so we can decide on a formation based on the players chosen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    12 votes for Reina? Jaysus lads. He's not no.1 for his country ffs. :(

Aww you are ruining the surprise with your special mod powers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Or perhaps vote on 12 or 13 players so we can decide on a formation based on the players chosen?
    Would be awkward to fit 4 Attacking Midfielders and 3 Strikers into a formation :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

basically throughout the voting the the runners up in every position will make up the squad - and then we will have a squad of 22 where we can then decide which formation to play.

basically throughout the voting the the runners up in every position will make up the squad - and then we will have a squad of 22 where we can then decide which formation to play.

hmm,
    but how could we keep a squad of 22 all stars content?

Yeah good idea. Although maybe just a runner-up for each category, rather than one back-up for each position.

hmm,
    but how could we keep a squad of 22 all stars content?

they would enjoy eachothers company.

Yeah good idea. Although maybe just a runner-up for each category, rather than one back-up for each position.

Maybe I guess we don't particularilty need much back up for LB/RB/LM/RM just through the centre so we could easily juggle between

3-5-2
    4-4-2
    4-5-1
    4-3-3
    1-2-1-4-2

but the whole squad would make it a little mroe interesting imo.

Maybe I guess we don't particularilty need much back up for LB/RB/LM/RM just through the centre so we could easily juggle between

3-5-2
    4-4-2
    4-5-1
    4-3-3
    1-2-1-4-2

but the whole squad would make it a little mroe interesting imo.

Yeah to be honest I really see the main debate only coming from those who would like to play 2 up top and two out wide (i.e. a 4-4-2). I'd say we leave as is for the moment and we see at the end if it needs to be changed with runners-up getting in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement