Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie World XI...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Aww you are ruining the surprise with your special mod powers.

Whoops! Sorry about that! Didn't realise the results were hidden. The totals have changed since then anyway! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Whoops! Sorry about that! Didn't realise the results were hidden. The totals have changed since then anyway! ;)

lol, you probably said it out loud so people would get the finger out and change away from Reina ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

hmm ideas for cb

lots of these are perhaps dodgy, others very dodgy, they seem to be dying off - the great italians anyway

Carvalho, Terry, Bruno Alves, Ferdinand, Vidic, Juan, Raul Albiol, Milito?, Burdisso, Cordoba, Pepe, Cannavaro, Lescott, Hengeland, Carragher, Kompany, Distin, Cris, Chivu, Jakielka or Johnny Heitinga
    If you have a sense of humour you can include Ramos, Mexes and Woodgate in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

My opinion about the keepers

- Cech = Undisputed keeper before the head injury, lost something after (I mean other than part of his skull)

- Buffon = Not had a great season from what I saw of him, still great but not on form at moment, missed much of the season through injury so that puts him on the back foot

- Reina = Fantastic goalie, always plays well (can only remember 1 mistake from him this season, chealsea one) but he isn't the best in the world afaik

- Cassillas = Again just a dip in form after being the best player for real and spain in 07/08 but nobody could keep that form up ya know

- Ceasar = Has had a fantastic season for club and country, I mean he is a brazilian keeper so prone to the odd howler but really is so strong and commanding he has to be the best in the world right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Seaneh wrote: »
    If Buffon doesn't get this you lot should have your football supporters licenced revoked.
    I concur.

hmm ideas for cb

lots of these are perhaps dodgy, others very dodgy, they seem to be dying off - the great italians anyway

Carvalho, Terry, Bruno Alves, Ferdinand, Vidic, Juan, Raul Albiol, Milito?, Burdisso, Cordoba, Pepe, Cannavaro, Lescott, Hengeland, Carragher, Kompany, Distin, Cris, Chivu, Jakielka or Johnny Heitinga
    Chiellini has to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

How can peope like lescott and hangeland be anywhere near this list? :confused: They aren't even close to best defenders in their league.

Gonna be huge bias towards premier league players if your doing that since you probably dont know spannish and italian league equivelents as pointed out by forgetting chielini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

I hadn't even finished looking at the list! distin and kompany?? Why not put up Dunne and Brown and a few others. They've had good games in their careers too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

So Cassillas wins. I can't believe Cech didn't get one vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So Cassillas wins. I can't believe Cech didn't get one vote

before the head injury yes but after that kick to the head just hasnt been the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

IrishIrish wrote: »

Gonna be huge bias towards premier league players if your doing that since you probably dont know spannish and italian league equivelents as pointed out by forgetting chielini.

That is always going to happen on here.You can clearly see it already looking at the list for the right-backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Haha I'm tired of people saying how crazy it is that there's a bias towards the premiership, like its something that we should be ashamed of. I watch a lot of football from the big leagues, I read more about it but even in doing that I'm exposed mostly to premiership football (and whats wrong with that its a great league, prefer spain but not disappointed about it).

So odds are that most people here don't have the time to spend every moment watch football and what they see is whats easiest to see and whats wrong with making ideas because of that. Not everybody is going to watch Inter v sampdoria to see how good Maicon is and is he better than sanga. So really just because you know of better players don't degrade others for not being so anal towards football!

Reina got 3 times the votes JC got:confused:

I think JC is better than Casillas. (yes, I know no one will agree).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mr Maroon wrote: »

what you'd expect

liverpool fans vote for a liverpool player,it's pretty bad they vote for him over Casillas

and not for 1 minute im saying Reina is a bad keeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Mr Maroon wrote: »

JCs a good shot stopper, but Casillas is better than him in every other regard imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

This whole thing would be no fun, and there would be no point in doing it if everyone agreed with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Headshot wrote: »
    what you'd expect

Some liverpool fans vote for a liverpool player,it's pretty bad they vote for him over Casillas

and not for 1 minute im saying Reina is a bad keeper

important addition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I would still have Buffon ahead of Iker but in fairness they are pretty much on par and are head and shoulders above the rest on their day, JC would be the closest with Given/the rest not far behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Based purely on stats to 2008 Buffon is the greatest ever according to http://www.iffhs.de/?388d85ff8b00388f05f4cbc0385fdcdc3bfcdc0aec70aeedb88419

Here also are the stats year on year to 2007. Buffon tops recent years also http://www.iffhs.de/?00e41400f82c48d31752d32d0ae43110f32d0e

There are no comparative stats (correct me if I'm wrong) for 2008/9 - so is the vote result based on sentiment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Based purely on stats to 2008 Buffon is the greatest ever according to http://www.iffhs.de/?388d85ff8b00388f05f4cbc0385fdcdc3bfcdc0aec70aeedb88419

Here also are the stats year on year to 2007. Buffon tops recent years also http://www.iffhs.de/?00e41400f82c48d31752d32d0ae43110f32d0e

There are no comparative stats (correct me if I'm wrong) for 2008/9 - so is the vote result based on sentiment?
    Those links are not based on stats, they are based on a voting system so they mean very little. If you are using them as an argument against Casillas then you should also have a look at the most recent one from 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

dor83 wrote: »
    Those links are not based on stats, they are based on a voting system so they mean very little. If you are using them as an argument against Casillas then you should also have a look at the most recent one from 2008.

I hadn't seen that one - I doff my cap to you Sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

It should have been Buffon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The next position up is Centre Mid/ Defensive Mid. I was planning on putting these two category's together, having multiple voting to choose the 2 players to fill the centre of the pitch.

The alternative would be to split it up and have one defensive midfielder poll and one centre midfielder poll. But this would mean that it would be impossible for, say, Xavi and Iniesta to both make the team.

Which of the two options is better do people think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Morzadec wrote: »
    The next position up is Centre Mid/ Defensive Mid. I was planning on putting these two category's together, having multiple voting to choose the 2 players to fill the centre of the pitch.

The alternative would be to split it up and have one defensive midfielder poll and one centre midfielder poll. But this would mean that it would be impossible for, say, Xavi and Iniesta to both make the team.

Which of the two options is better do people think?

In a successful 4-2-3-1, the midfield is usually composed of a destroyer, a passer and an attacker eg. Toure, Xavi, Iniesta.

IMO, you should a separate poll for all the positions.

Advertisement