Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WANTED: ADVICE ON REMINGTON SEMI AUTO

Options
  • 25-06-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

hi lads
    a farmer that i shoot for has an old remington semi auto, not in great nick at all! the whole mechenism for reloading is not working! he doesn't want to part with it and wants to try fix it himself! So this is what i want to know, can he buy the parts himself to fix it and if so where can he get the parts! i told him to bring it to a gunsmith but wants to fix it himself!
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What model is it?How old?What calibre?What condition is it in?
    Pretty important that we have that info to be able to advise further.
    Some rifles are worth the effort,some not.It depends what is broken in the reloading mechanism.If it is very old and discontinued, he might have a job on his hands.But yes,if it is liscensed he can get the parts and fix it himself.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭gentleman jim

sorry my bad, its a 12g shotgun! its quite old, i'll find out how old for you's! its looks to never been cleaned by him.it still fires,but the springs or something are gone in it because it wont pull up the next cartridge!and i think the spring in the breach is broke to! he uses it to shoot a bunny and an odd crow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sounds like a Remmy 1100 then,If thats the case not too hard to get bits or it's predecessor.If it is is the 1100,then it is gas operated and proably needs a new gas piston O ring for starters.Plus a total strip down and total clean of all working parts.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Not really a Wanted/For Sale thread, moved to general Shooting forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sounds like a good clean up and a drop of oil alone could be the fix before you even need parts...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cheers lads, but if he does need to get parts for it were can he order them from? gunsmith or over the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Gunsmith or dealer, if it's a Remmy 1100 which it probably is given the fact that they're among the most popular semi's ever any gun dealer should be able to source the parts. If it needs it a good bit of TLC I'd leave it to someone competent, doesn't have to be a gunsmith but at least someone who knows what they're at. Once you start fiddling about with the moving parts of a gun without absolutely knowing what you're doing the opportunity for disasters becomes quite realistic.

cheers lads! i'll let him know and give him a hand if i can!:D

okay lads, does anyone have any pictures or know a site that shows you step by step on how to strip the remmy and give it a good cleaning?

thanks lads
    G J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

If he hadn't the knowledge or the inclination to clean it then stripping it down is going to be a task for some one else IMO. If he does get it stripped down and cant get it back together he could always use it as a hurl;).

Best to leave it in to a dealer or if its the money thats putting him off (poor farmer) find some one who knows what their doing and ask a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So an ancient 12ga that hasn't been cleaned or stripped in years, and he wants to repair it and then fire it, even though he doesn't know how to do so?
    Well, you can't stop someone being an eejit, but you don't need to help them - GJ if I was you I'd tell him to hand it in to a dealer for servicing, and if he wouldn't, I'd wash my hands of it. You give him advice on cleaning it, he makes a hames of the job and the gun goes off in his face afterwards, and he might well turn round and sue you for bad advice!

Advertisement