Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson Death discussion thread - CHAT, NOT JOKES

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

galactus wrote: »
    Under Scots law, a criminal trial may end in one of three verdicts: one of conviction ("proven") and two of acquittal ("not proven" and "not guilty").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_proven

Well, that's me put in my place.
    IMO He was miles ahead of Elvis and he was even better than the Beatles.

Heh, let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I can't believe anyone can be so prejudiced to actually believe he isn't in the same league as lennon and elvis.

IMO He was miles ahead of Elvis and he was even better than the Beatles.

The comparison isn't really fair on either party, they were different genres at different times, like comparing Johnny Cash to Kanye West. Can't draw a clear comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

toomevara wrote: »
    Oh ferchrissakes, can we please keep a sense of proportion and prespective. what utter nonsense these 'events' cause in our emotionally incontinent times.

The death of any individual is tragic to his family and loved ones. However Mr. Jackson was a highly dubious and controversial figure who's passing certainly doesn't merit the idiotic, half witted hysteria, verging on the cringeworthy which this has precipitated.

Take a look around the world..if you want to get exercised and animated about human suffering and death, do it in respect of Iran, Palestine, Zimbabwe, hell the homeless on our own streets.

Engaging in this kind of emotional mutual masturbation for a dead song and dance man with serious questions hanging over his conduct is utterly preposterous. Hey, maybe its me who's lost the plot and the lunatics really are running the asylum..never heard such tosh...

a BIG +1

like Madonna and her 'celebrity people trafficking' escapades, we'll be hearing about this crap til september now, and not another word about Iran or the recession, you know? those important things ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

No-one can beat the king of rock and roll which is elvis presley although MJ was up there with some of the best... Im in my teens and i still listen to elvis presley, thats how influential he still is. And ive always listened to michael jackson as well. They are both brilliant and i wouldnt rate one over the other at this point. Didnt really grow up with my family listening to john lennon so i wouldnt know alot about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

galactus wrote: »
    Are you kidding? Whacko is not in that category.

Also neither had allegations of molesting children surrounding them. ("Not proven" should be an option in court).

Elvis had a relationship with Priscilla when she was 13 and he was 24.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I see the downmarket news channels are already starting the "unconfirmed reports, but was it drug related?" crap.

Course, this is the same channel that just had the banner "jackson dead" across the screen while they showed a picture of the man they had just interviewed......Jesse Jackson.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

They're now saying his death was possibly a Demerol overdose

Demerol

Story

RonMexico wrote: »
    Elvis had a relationship with Priscilla when she was 13 and he was 24.

but they were in love and i dont think he slept with her either! And he ended up marrying her didnt he? Elvis was a legend so i dunno why you are trying to portray him as a child molester..

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭gandhi123

No-one can beat the king of rock and roll which is elvis presley although MJ was up there with some of the best...
    No-one can beat the king of rock and roll which is elvis presley although MJ was up there with some of the best... Im in my teens and i still listen to elvis presley, thats how influential he still is. And ive always listened to michael jackson as well. They are both brilliant and i wouldnt rate one over the other at this point. Didnt really grow up with my family listening to john lennon so i wouldnt know alot about him.

Eh this isnt a postcount ++ thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They are very different but Elvis had a far greater impact on rock and music in general as did Lennon.They had much more widespread appeal and influence and both were at their peaks at a time when rock was still young. It's not surprising that their impact was greater than Jackson.

Jackson on the other hand was immensely talented, a superb showman and produced some really great music and he will be remembered for that. I personally would not put him up there at the same level, but his influence on more recent pop music is undeniable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

but they were in love and i dont think he slept with her either! And he ended up marrying her didnt he? Elvis was a legend so i dunno why you are trying to portray him as a child molester..

Reread what I highlighted in bold from your post.......makes NO sense if talking about MJ in this context. :rolleyes:He was a legend too so by your reckoning "so i dunno why you are trying to portray him as a child molester"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Personally I have zilcho sadness towards Jackson's passing. I've experienced death in my life, and this means nothing to me. If I want to crack a joke about him, I'll do it. Because I find it very hypocritical that in society we can joke about so many things scot-free, but not the death of a rather nasty man.

Reread what I highlighted in bold from your post.......makes NO sense if talking about MJ in this context. :rolleyes:He was a legend too so by your reckoning "so i dunno why you are trying to portray him as a child molester"

what? Im totally confused now?? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

gandhi123 wrote: »
    They're now saying his death was possibly a Demerol overdose

Demerol

Story

Quite eerie when you consider he also wrote a song about it:

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are very different but Elvis had a far greater impact on rock and music in general as did Lennon.They had much more widespread appeal and influence and both were at their peaks at a time when rock was still young. It's not surprising that their impact was greater than Jackson.

Jackson on the other hand was immensely talented, a superb showman and produced some really great music and he will be remembered for that. I personally would not put him up there at the same level, but his influence on more recent pop music is undeniable.

I'd put him at their level for definite. His influence is unparalleled in todays terms, cant think of anyone else (aside from madonna maybe) who could be put in the same bracket with their influence on pop and pop culture.

But like anything to do with music it's all a matter of opinion. I for example think Lennon wasn't half as good solo......Beatles were more influential than Lennon IMO

what? Im totally confused now?? :P

Oh don't mind me, I was just saying that your ratonale didn't make any sense. Someone being a "legend" (elvis in your point) doesn't mean isn't/couldn't be a child molester

you said :Elvis was a legend so i dunno why you are trying to portray him as a child molester

Makes no sense.

FTR - I don't think Elvis was a child molester!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

He certainly was a great artist, I loved him in the 80's for sure.

But, in my opinion there is no smoke without fire and his entire life is tainted by the child molestation accusations brought against him. I do not believe it was a case of these kids family in it for the money.

my 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Einstein wrote: »
    nobody's saying its any more important.
    It really mystifies me how people dont understand how people can be upset when someone who was a role model or inspiration, dies.

It mystifies me how Micheal Jackson can be an inspiration or role model to anyone.

Infact, anyone who has Micheal Jackson as a role model, is probably going to be a severely warped and dysfunctional person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

davyjose wrote: »
    ...a rather nasty man.

Any proof of this?

Oh don't mind me, I was just saying that your ratonale didn't make any sense. Someone being a "legend" (elvis in your point) doesn't mean isn't/couldn't be a child molester

you said :Elvis was a legend so i dunno why you are trying to portray him as a child molester

Makes no sense.

FTR - I don't think Elvis was a child molester!!!!

But if he was, it would absolutely destroy his credibility, and would certainly remove the "Legend" tag from him in my eyes. Jackson wrote and performed some great music, but he also did some very nasty things as a human being. I think for that reason, any hero worship towards him needs to be kept in check.

To call Jackson a "Legend" is to irresponsibly ignore the despicable things he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

is_that_so wrote: »

I honestly think you are underestimating the influence that MJ has ahd on modern pop music. I dare say he influenced more musicians than any other artist (perhaps with the exception of Stevie Wonder).

Elvis whilst great was the most prominent figure on an already runaway rock n' roll scene, and Lennon never did have a solo impact on the music scene. In them terms they both fail to match the effect MJ had on the pop music scene. He was insightful and always ahead of his peers, when it came to be inivative about music. Some thing Elvis, and perhaps a lesser extent Lennon ever did.

Ardent wrote: »
    Any proof of this?

Oh right, innocent until buying justice proven guilty, and all that...

To call Jackson a "Legend" is to irresponsibly ignore the despicable things he did.

any proof to back up them statements?

I could easily call you a pedofile and get some kid to play along to make me millions. It doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

R.I.P Michael Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

But if he was, it would absolutely destroy his credibility, and would certainly remove the "Legend" tag from him in my eyes. Jackson wrote and performed some great music, but he also did some very nasty things as a human being. I think for that reason, any hero worship towards him needs to be kept in check.

Yes of course all those despicale things that the tabloids could "prove" but no one else including a criminal court could get a conviction for.

People that believe everything tabloids say make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Any proof of this aswell?

You keep on believing Jackson was a model citizen so. I'm not going to get into the gaping holes in the American legal system, but Jackson should have died in prison IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

I don't know really, a court of law proved him innocent. That's all that matters at present in relation to those accusations.

TBH, I think Michael was 50 going on 10 and was like that most of his life (Neverland etc...)

I have no doubt that some of the stuff he said and done with children was bad judegement and stupid on his part but the impression I always got was that he was a child himself. He was his own worst enemy in my opinion but I don't believe he was paedophile/molestor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Quazzie wrote: »
    I honestly think you are underestimating the influence that MJ has ahd on modern pop music. I dare say he influenced more musicians than any other artist (perhaps with the exception of Stevie Wonder).

You dont really listen to a lot of different types of music, do you?

Oh and for the record, we are all mortal.
    Everyone dies and horrible things happen to us and others.
    There is absolutly nothing wrong with laughing at death or anything else.

• Advertisement

You keep on believing Jackson was a model citizen so. I'm not going to get into the gaping holes in the American legal system, but Jackson should have died in prison IMO.
    Lucky for him narrow minded keyboarded warrier posts on the internet weren't enough for a conviction.

Physical evidence couldn't do what you just claimed there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement