Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson Death discussion thread - CHAT, NOT JOKES

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

murfie wrote: »
    But, in my opinion there is no smoke without fire

except there often is.
    I do not believe it was a case of these kids family in it for the money.

Good thing they settled out of court then, what with it not being about the money.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

Quazzie wrote: »
    I honestly think you are underestimating the influence that MJ has ahd on modern pop music. I dare say he influenced more musicians than any other artist (perhaps with the exception of Stevie Wonder).

Elvis whilst great was the most prominent figure on an already runaway rock n' roll scene, and Lennon never did have a solo impact on the music scene. In them terms they both fail to match the effect MJ had on the pop music scene. He was insightful and always ahead of his peers, when it came to be inivative about music. Some thing Elvis, and perhaps a lesser extent Lennon ever did.

Michael was an innovator when it came to his performances/entertainment. For me, that's one of the major things that sets him aside from other musical legends, some mentioned here, some not.

Michael is a legend and his music will stand the tests of time, there is no doubt about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

d'Oracle wrote: »
    It mystifies me how Micheal Jackson can be an inspiration or role model to anyone.

Infact, anyone who has Micheal Jackson as a role model, is probably going to be a severely warped and dysfunctional person.

Don't think people generally would consider him a role model in the proper sense that that means, probably misuse of the expression...
    But, in my opinion there is no smoke without fire and his entire life is tainted by the child molestation accusations brought against him. I do not believe it was a case of these kids family in it for the money.

Disagree totally. Whatever the truth is, I think the families were 100% after him for the money and were in it from the start for that.
    davyjose wrote: »
    But if he was, it would absolutely destroy his credibility, and would certainly remove the "Legend" tag from him in my eyes. Jackson wrote and performed some great music, but he also did some very nasty things as a human being. I think for that reason, any hero worship towards him needs to be kept in check.

To call Jackson a "Legend" is to irresponsibly ignore the despicable things he did.

Nonsense. He IS legend in the music world and whethe people like him or not musically it can't be taken from him. His musical success/achievements have never been questioned even if his person has been. He is a music legend, period.

Musicians personal life (rightfully or wrongfully) has b*gger all to do with their music talent.
    I honestly think you are underestimating the influence that MJ has ahd on modern pop music. I dare say he influenced more musicians than any other artist (perhaps with the exception of Stevie Wonder).

Elvis whilst great was the most prominent figure on an already runaway rock n' roll scene, and Lennon never did have a solo impact on the music scene. In them terms they both fail to match the effect MJ had on the pop music scene. He was insightful and always ahead of his peers, when it came to be inivative about music. Some thing Elvis, and perhaps a lesser extent Lennon ever did.

Well said. I do think you may be underestimating Elvis, but yeah musically I would put Jacko right up there beside him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dr oatker

T-K-O wrote: »
    Musically, he is definitely up there with Lennon and Elvis

Elvis maybe, Lennon no He was as famous as them but musically he's nowhere near Lennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Lucky for him narrow minded keyboarded warrier posts on the internet weren't enough for a conviction.

Physical evidence couldn't do what you just claimed there.

Lucky for the rest of us, the legal system doesn't rely on a person's popularity. It's my opinion that Jackson was a pedophile, however much abuse you throw at me Quazzie.
    Some of your posts are quite offensive to me, simply because I'm voicing an opinion contrary to yours. Cop the fùck on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I am not disputing Jackson's contribution as an artist at all but I suggest you completely underestimate the influence of Elvis, especially in the late 1950s, long before the "runaway rock and roll scene". The Beatles through Lennon/McCartney helped hone the modern pop song. The later Beatles albums, notably Sergeant Pepper and The White Album, both with a lot of Lennon input tend to rank high on top albums lists and have influenced innumerable rock bands.
    That said the Lennon's middle years were full of self indulgent delusions but his last album is one of his better solo efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Sold out a 50 date concert run within hours...over 1 million people in total would have attended these concerts.
    Over 2 million people attempted to but tickets for the concerts.
    I suppose the figures speaks for themselves.
    The man is a legend and will go down in Music history as one of teh biggest Artists of all time.
    Yes he had his problems, but so would you if you were denied the normality of growing up.
    RIP Mick.

except there often is.

Good thing they settled out of court then, what with it not being about the money.......

Spot on;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You dont really listen to a lot of different types of music, do you?

Oh and for the record, we are all mortal.
    Everyone dies and horrible things happen to us and others.
    There is absolutly nothing wrong with laughing at death or anything else.

Nobody said there was, what is wrong is making accusations about the man that have been proven false in a court of law, but the people on boards supposedly know better than the jury in the case so go figure:rolleyes:

Lucky for the rest of us, the legal system doesn't rely on a person's popularity. It's my opinion that Jackson was a pedophile, however much abuse you throw at me Quazzie.
    Some of your posts are quite offensive to me, simply because I'm voicing an opinion contrary to yours. Cop the fùck on.

You are entitled to your opinion and I won't attack that.

But at the end of the day

Your opinion - MJ was a paedophile (without any evidence)
    Court of law - MJ innocent (all evidence considered).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I think if you honestly believed that someone had molested your child you would not drop the case for money. You just wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Blay wrote: »
    Nobody said there was,

Thread title .....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Well said. I do think you may be underestimating Elvis, but yeah musically I would put Jacko right up there beside him.

I actually like Elvis' music more than Michael Jackson as I grew up listening to Elvis records (I'm not that old just liked his music) but I think MJ has had an unbelievable influence on music.

If it comes across abusive I apologize profusely, it was never meant as such. I just disagree with your statements and it wasn't meant as any kind of personal attack on you or your nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

A Michael Jackson condolences thread... Really????

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ya. Rly!

Do not post in this thread again or I will ban you.
    Go to 4chan if you're looking for jokes.

i-digress wrote: »
    I think if you honestly believed that someone had molested your child you would not drop the case for money. You just wouldn't.

Exactly.

Plus you wouldn't leave your child near someone you thought would molest them (and God knows there was enough rumours so wasn't unheard of)

Personally I'm not sure, not convinced either way BUT if it was true I hold the parents of those kids as culpable, if not moreso.

If I had to put money on it I think he was a very damaged man by his upbringing and childhood and had no concept of proper behaviour around kids. Don't think it was a sexual thing at all.

Whatever the case, he was a musical genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I_am_Jebus wrote: »
    Michael was an innovator when it came to his performances/entertainment. For me, that's one of the major things that sets him aside from other musical legends, some mentioned here, some not.

Michael is a legend and his music will stand the tests of time, there is no doubt about that.

Aye. thriller pretty much created what music videos as we know them today, for better or for worse that's a hell of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

Even though he was not convicted , its STILL NOT NORMAL behavior to hang out with young boys or worse to let a man like that keep his children........just because hes a celeb . Glad to see the back of him.....Im a big music fan i dont doubt that he made a significant contribution to music . but dont put his name in the same post as John Lennon

Thread title .....

Thread title isn't a person in fairness:pac:

That was put there because last nigth the mods were deleting post after post of off coulour jokes, just because this thread doesn't allow jokes doesn't mean anyone has a problem with them. I've no problem with a few jokes, but if they make accusations then they shouldn't be allowed.

jazoo wrote: »
    Even though he was not convicted , its STILL NOT NORMAL behavior to hang out with young boys or worse to let a man like that keep his children........just because hes a celeb . Glad to see the back of him.....Im a big music fan i dont doubt that he made a significant contribution to music . but dont put his name in the same post as John Lennon

Michael Jackson
    John Lennon
    :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cullig_jp

Ya I think he should be remembered for his music. R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Blay wrote: »
    Nobody said there was, what is wrong is making accusations about the man that have been proven false in a court of law, but the people on boards supposedly know better than the jury in the case so go figure:rolleyes:

unless i missed the memo not guilty is not the same as innocent by any stretch of the imagination

if he didnt die and this was just a thread on micheal jackson no1 would be getting their panties in a twist over jokes or accusations

NOTHING HAS CHANGED JSUT BECAUSE HE DIED

i hope the stories were not true but i have a nagging feeling they were

he was a musical legend to many but because of the way he lived his life there are numerous people in their early to late 20s who only know him for his crazy antics and not because of his music as it was just before their time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭gary nevillevil

Micheal Jackson R.I.P :(

PS: fcuk the haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

except there often is.

Why would he have even offered a settlement unless his lawyers thought there was a chance they wouldnt win, How many court cases was it? How many accusations are there that we dont know of?

Why not? They both had different styles in music, comparing them is fair, but saying one is better than the other is impossible to back up, they were popular at different times and in different genres of music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I
    If it comes across abusive I apologize profusely, it was never meant as such. I just disagree with your statements and it wasn't meant as any kind of personal attack on you or your nature.

Well Quazzie, my point escalated a bit. I'll admit the word Pedophile might be harsh (we'll never know), but he did admit certain things, however, that are massive taboos. The first time round, I trusted him, not the second time though, I'm afraid.

This is a MJ tribute thread, and maybe I shouldn't be on here. I admit it looks like trolling. I will say he was a greatly influential, and had some great songs. The my Daddy is better than your Daddy stuff is silly though. Elvis/Lennon/MJ came at different eras and were all influential in their own way. There is no right answer to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

dr oatker wrote: »
    Elvis maybe, Lennon no He was as famous as them but musically he's nowhere near Lennon

Lennon did a great job while that McCartney fella was around to help him out with the song writing, after The Beatles split though it all turned to crap for Lennon.

Lucky for him (musically, not personally ;)) that he was killed when he was because an extended solo career would have been woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭gimme5minutes

dr oatker wrote: »

Not as gifted as Lennon lol...Jackson was definitely more musically gifted than Lennon, if Lennon hadn't been shot he wouldn't get nearly as much acclaim as he does.

Lennon was very musically talented, no doubt about it, but Jackson was even better. If his personal life hadn't cast such a shadow over his work, and he wasn't such an easy target for mockery he would get far more recognition for that fact.

I don't think anyone is advocating that it was "normal" behaviour. I certainly don't believe it was.

But at the same time, it doesn't mean he sexually abused the children either. There's a world of difference there.

I don't see any issue with having lennon and jackson in the same post. Both contrtibuted greatly to music and both are legends in their own rights.

When people reach legend status, they are legends themselves - who is more of a legend comes down to personal opinion regarding music choice.

Even if MJ did molest kids (and I don't believe he did) it doesn't affect the musical achievements - 750 million albums sold. INCREDIBLE!! That is one of the reasons why he is a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Exactly.
    Personally I'm not sure, not convinced either way BUT if it was true I hold the parents of those kids as culpable, if not moreso.

are you mad?

you are saying if the kids were molested then the parents were more culpable than the molester?

ehhhh dont tell that to the parents who sent their kids to the christian brothers whatever you do

the guy was a whackjob and i would not be suprised about anything i hear about him AND a musical genius accept it and move on, dont go trying to shift blame for different things(things that you apparently dont even believe happened) so you can justify in your own head likng the guy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement