Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dslr choice

• 25-06-2009 10:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Ok well im looking to get into the dslr world and narrowed it down to two cameras
    First the canon 450d for 550€ from argos comes with the kit lens 18-55 a good price for a good camera read countless reviews on it can hardly find a bad thing about it tbh. Have one reserved to pick up by tomorrow :)

Second the Canon 40d for 999€ wit the same kit lens as above plus a 55-250mm lens (argos offer the 450d with twin lens for the same price) now i also know the 40d is a good camera but would i be crazy using it as my first dslr.

Opinions please is that a good offer for the 40d would i be crazy to pass it up :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd go for the 40D...why not start out big :)
    It's a way sturdier camera and you know it's solidly built when you hold it the first time after a 400D. Build quality is much better.

I had a 400D (basically used auto all the time) but decided to switch to the 40D as I wanted it for sports and Air shows. Double the fps and shutter speed of the 400D. Think it's the same with the 450/500D.
    I also got a 2 hour video tutorial on the 40D which I'm going to watch tonight to learn about all the different functions it's capable off..
    I'd never read the manual unless I had a problem.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

kinda depends on your individual plans to be honest. I would have automatically suggested that you go for the 40d assuming that you have the €'s however someone a little while back posted a very good point -

If money isn't a particular problem (kind of into the future as well), then you may be well advised to actually go for the lower spec machine - it's still a wonderful camera and search flickr for samples from it - you'll genuinely be amazed, but by the time you've mastered it, there may be something even better than the 40d out of the canon camp which may put a 50d into your reach or indeed whatever the new offering would be 60d(?) - 18month cycle apparently on the 60d and seeing as the 50d had a release of last October, you probably are looking at it being ready within about 12 months or thereabouts.

But the offer on the 450d will leave you a bit limited on range which is where the twin pack of lenses would come in handy so you would probably find yourself buying a zoom of some kind or other and the 55 - 250 is a nice range to have.

Have a think about the above and whether you need to consider it at all.

Advertisement