Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple and the Ipod touch 3.0 update

Options
  • 25-06-2009 10:09pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am curious to get people's views on this issue.

I recently purchased the latest update for the ipod touch through the Itunes store. The update costs 7.99

I subsequently discovered that there are serious defects in the upgrade and in particular it worsens the wireless performance of the touch. This is well documented on Apple's own support forums. In addition it appears to stop the touch being used with various accessories which people have obviously paid good money for. I don't have the latter problem thankfully but I would be even more furious if I had.

Now I spent a couple of hours trying to get the wireless function working before I discovered that the problem was widespread and then I tried various work arounds (I feel that a properly functioning piece of software should not require workarounds!) but they didnt work either.

Now I buy something in the shop and it doesnt work I can return it and get my money back.

So I emailed the itunes store and asked for a refund but of course Apple wont entertain that and tell me under the T&C's of the Itunes store all purchases are ''final''.

If 1 million people buy this update thats 10 million dollars almost for Apple.

Its $9.95 in the states - and given the user base for the ipod touch thats probably a conservative estimate. Is it unreasonable to expect Apple to spend sufficient money in advance on testing the software? I can understand that some blips will slip through any level of testing but any decent testing should have detected the wireless problem quite easily.

So Apple wont give me a refund. I feel furious about this as I am really fed up with this type of attitude on the part of Apple.

Can I take them to the small claims court or do I have any remedy. (and I do know that there will probably be an update in due course but thats not good enough I have paid good money to have my product seriously worsened)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Restore to a previous firmware and upgrade when it's fixed.

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am not looking for a fix. (And I dont have a previous firmware). My point is that they should sell a product that works. Not one that diminishes the one I already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's Apple, their lack of customer service is legendary.

People need to start taking them to court on these issues, or they'll never sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Apple charge for firmware updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dub45 wrote: »
    I am not looking for a fix. (And I dont have a previous firmware). My point is that they should sell a product that works. Not one that diminishes the one I already have.

Their policy is not legally enforceable under Irish consumer law, but there is no body that will force them to obey that law, and if they decide not to, then you can either give up, or use the small claims court. SCC will cost you €15, so not really worth it for an €8 refund.

This is the unfortunate state of things, you have the law on your side, but you stand on your own.

You could try a credit card charge back, tell the bank that what you purchased does not work, and that Apple are refusing a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jor el wrote: »
    Their policy is not legally enforceable under Irish consumer law, but there is no body that will force them to obey that law, and if they decide not to, then you can either give up, or use the small claims court. SCC will cost you €15, so not really worth it for an €8 refund.

This is the unfortunate state of things, you have the law on your side, but you stand on your own.

You could try a credit card charge back, tell the bank that what you purchased does not work, and that Apple are refusing a refund.

In my stubbornesss I am quite prepared to pay the 15 euros if I feel that I will definitely win and inconvenience them.

Their arrogance really annoys me and I would love in some way to get at them.

It took several emails before they even deigned to use the word 'refund'!

And also some newspaper might even pick up that they were brought to the Small Claims Court and embarass them further:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

This post has been deleted.

And they try tell you its not firmware :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In fairness its affectively upgrading the OS of the Touch, not much different to changing to different versions of OSX which also cost money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

T'was a free upgrade for the iphone,only chargeable on the touch

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Can i update my 1stGen iTouch with the latest V3.0 firmware?
    Or will it break the thing!

Advertisement