Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beaches?

Options
  • 25-06-2009 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Any good beaches in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Dollymount is the blue flag beach nearest to the City Centre. Dublin beaches, overall, didn't do well in the 2008 EPA Bathing water quality report.

Depends on what you mean by good, e.g. Dollymount wouldn't be my beach of choice, despite the blue flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Sutton beach is lovely to go for walks on. With regards to swimming, it might not be the safest, lots of tidal plateaus and funny currents. If you're looking for somewhere nice to swim in the sea I like the forty foot in Dun Laoghaire or Seapoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Malahide and Portmarnock beach is a nice walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Portmarnock beach is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You might get a better response in the NCD forum as all the best beaches are there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

if you've got a car, head out to brittas bay. In dublin itself, my personal preference would be sutton

.. my personal preference would be sutton

Ssssh. Don't be telling people about it - a well-kept secret is part of it's appeal ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's 5 in Sutton, 3 are up the cliff walk and they're best at high tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

TarfHead wrote: »
    Ssssh. Don't be telling people about it - a well-kept secret is part of it's appeal ;)

Hole in the wall?

Hole in the wall?

Fast current, with the flow of water rising to/falling from the estuary alongside Portmarnock GC. Also a suspicious pipe which may or may not still be used for sewage.

A few years ago I found buried broken glass each time I visited. Kids were crawlers at that stage, so that always coloured my view of it's appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Portmarnock beach is beautiful.

+1, i would say THE nicest

If you do come out to Howth/Sutton/Portmarnock/Malahide for some swimming, please be careful. The Lifeboat has been out almost every day in the last week or two. Don't become the subject of another grim story.
    Hole in the wall?

Wouldn't call the Hole in the Wall/Burrow beach secret.

The 'secret' beaches would be the tiny ones at the dinghy club, Red Rock, Jameson's Pool and the Nun's beach.
    Fast current, with the flow of water rising to/falling from the estuary alongside Portmarnock GC. Also a suspicious pipe which may or may not still be used for sewage.

A few years ago I found buried broken glass each time I visited. Kids were crawlers at that stage, so that always coloured my view of it's appeal.

Pretty sure all Howth's sewage is pumped to Ringsend these days. The Hole in the Wall/Claremont was left in a really dirty state recently and Fingal have tried to cut the cleaning of it.

tricky D wrote: »
    Pretty sure all Howth's sewage is pumped to Ringsend these days. The Hole in the Wall/Claremont was left in a really dirty state recently and Fingal have tried to cut the cleaning of it.

I was told, recently, that a lot of Howth's sewage still goes out the pipe off the Nose. There is still work ongoing to conect it up to the pipe that goes out to Ringsend from the site opposite Saint Fintans HS. There is certainly still work in progress at that site.

The pipe in the Burrow Road beach may be decommissioned, but it's disconcerting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Another +1 for Portmarnock.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Dont forget Donabate and Portrane

I was told, recently, that a lot of Howth's sewage still goes out the pipe off the Nose. There is still work ongoing to conect it up to the pipe that goes out to Ringsend from the site opposite Saint Fintans HS. There is certainly still work in progress at that site.

You're right. Hadn't seen any road works lately, but there's another year to go.

Advertisement