Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Novice Potatoe grower

Options
  • 25-06-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All;

I have some early potatoes growing in a potatoe bag. Alot of the plant stems have now bent over the bag and nothing i can do about that. Some of them are now flowering so i went to look at the potatoes.

They are all very small, i would of thought at this stage they would be quiet big, so my questions are:

How long more before they are ready to be harvest?

What size potatoes should i expect and if they are small, if i leave them in the bag longer will they get bigger?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Anyone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

If plants are still in flower, spuds are still growing. Expect tuber growth for several weeks after flowers have died away, so your spuds will grow on for a while yet.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

Some first earlys are small, but they will be biger neer the stalk:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

should be ready to crop at the end of august but can take out earlier if you want baby spuds nice in salads etc. if you build the soil up around the plant you will get a bigger yeild.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Navanboyo

I have grown most of my spuds in pots and bags and started them off around the end of March.

I found that some flowered and some did'nt.

My experience is that spuds grown this way tend to be a bit smaller than those grown in the ground.

I have lifted two of the pots and got a reasonable amount.

All of the spuds I grew this way were first and second earlies and they all should be nearly ready around now.

Like the original poster, most of the stalks are flopping over the sides but I find that this does'nt make a great deal of difference. ust keep them watered and they will be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement