Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Jackson - RIP [Discuss tastefully (no cruel jokes) here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

niallon wrote: »
    Putting aside a life of hardship and controversy for one second, Michael Jackson led one of the most incredible musical careers ever seen. Nobody will ever come close to the sensational creative heights he reached though many still try. Forget Elvis, he was the King. R.I.P

That about sums its up, truly incredible music, truly strange individual.

RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

hang on a second, lets not get carried away here

the guy was super talented no doubt about it...but his back catalogue is nothing spectacular

he only released two albums in the 80s (thriller & bad)

however, the beatles, elvis, hendrix etc would release two albums "per year" on average

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I was surfing the net the night it happened and stumbled across the TMZ post. I couldn't believe it. It was so surreal. I feel so sad he is gone ...My daughter was a huge fan.

Rest in Peace Jacko. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

Putting aside a life of hardship and controversy for one second, Michael Jackson led one of the most incredible musical careers ever seen. Nobody will ever come close to the sensational creative heights he reached though many still try. Forget Elvis, he was the King. R.I.P

Woooh there

I loved MJ and his music, I'm as shocked and saddened as the next person that he died.
    I think he was one of the greatest things to happen to popular music (King or pop) and I personally don't believe any of the rubbish that he was accused of.

But don't get carried away
    Elvis was the guy who brought music out in the open, mixed gospel, soul, blues and lot more, merged it and changed the world of music in a way no one has done since and can never do again.
    No other artist since alho from Hawaai has held a TV audience of over 1 Billion people
    Elvis Presley (The King of Rock & Roll) was, is and always will be the king bar none.

R.I.P MJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mantom

Keeping it basic..

RIP Michael Jackson..

michael-jackson-rip.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 betty_swollox

RIP MJ

Now this is extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

hellodolly wrote: »
    Sorry, don't mean to offend any Elvis fans; he was before my time is all. I do like him but MJ was the coolest thing i'd ever seen when i first started getting into music.

I grew up with Jacko's music. His Thriller video scared the livin' bejaysus outta me when i was a youngster and i still get a real kick out of it today :D

The Thriller album hit the top spot in the US iTunes store after his death. In the UK Amazon's album chart shows 15 of his albums occupy the top 15 spots.

In the Irish iTunes store Thriller occupies the top video spot. 8 of top 10 videos on are his including the top 5 spots. 7 of the top 10 albums are his including the top 6 spots.
    mjtop10.jpg

Impressive stuff and shows the outpouring of fans support.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

R.I.P Michael Jackson.Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

The_Joker wrote: »
    Woooh there

I loved MJ and his music, I'm as shocked and saddened as the next person that he died.
    I think he was one of the greatest things to happen to popular music (King or pop) and I personally don't believe any of the rubbish that he was accused of.

But don't get carried away
    Elvis was the guy who brought music out in the open, mixed gospel, soul, blues and lot more, merged it and changed the world of music in a way no one has done since and can never do again.
    No other artist since alho from Hawaai has held a TV audience of over 1 Billion people
    Elvis Presley (The King of Rock & Roll) was, is and always will be the king bar none.

R.I.P MJ

No, I have to disagree. I'm a huge Elvis fan myself but personally I feel MJ did more for music than Elvis ever could have. Whereas Elvis was the one who brought a revolutionary style of music to the front in a time that was screaming for it, MJ brought his own revolutionary style of music to the front in a time that, to be honest, already had its fair share of rulebreakers and style changers. Elvis of course has to be credited with daring to take a major leap and forever change rock and roll but MJ to me is the king for taking a leap when sitting still would have been just as profitable and acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Elvis was revolutionary because his style was heavily influenced by what black musicians at the time were doing and he brought that to a white audience in a largely segregated America. Michael Jackson on the other hand was black and he created his own style of music and took the world.

• Advertisement

Looking at some Michael Jackson-related TV last night, it struck me that the Thriller video is, what, 25 years old and nothing has come close to it since.
    Just shows that you can dress anything up with hype but sheer talent endures, as Jackson's has.

I'm glad he was 'my era', so lucky to have been at the age to remember his songs and videos and how exciting it all was, the anticipation of a new Michael Jackson video or song.
    There's been a lot of people saying we'll never see his like again, well I believe that.
    Nobody has come anywhere near what he did.

RIP MJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

philstar wrote: »
    but his back catalogue is nothing spectacular

he only released two albums in the 80s (thriller & bad)

however, the beatles, elvis, hendrix etc would release two albums "per year" on average

Quantity doesn't always = Quality ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

keefg wrote: »
    Quantity doesn't always = Quality ;)

Ah but Elvis was nothing but Quality

The_Joker wrote: »
    Ah but Elvis was nothing but Quality

LOL.....have you seen his films? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Ever see Jacko's Moonwaler film?
    I dunno,public spectacle phase began then IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

No, I have to disagree. I'm a huge Elvis fan myself but personally I feel MJ did more for music than Elvis ever could have. Whereas Elvis was the one who brought a revolutionary style of music to the front in a time that was screaming for it, MJ brought his own revolutionary style of music to the front in a time that, to be honest, already had its fair share of rulebreakers and style changers. Elvis of course has to be credited with daring to take a major leap and forever change rock and roll but MJ to me is the king for taking a leap when sitting still would have been just as profitable and acceptable.

Do you honestly believe Jackson did more for music than Elvis? I wouldn't consider myself to be a big Elvis fan, but for someone not to appreciate what he did for music and to say Jackson has done more for music is something I would strongly disagree with. Elvis bought together music from both sides of the colour line, and brought 'rock and roll' to a global audience, although some would rightly argue Chuck Berry was the true inventor of the genre. Elvis is a true cultural icon and still remains the biggest selling single artist of all time.

Others would put James Brown, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Hendrix, The Beatles, and a few others artists well before Jackson, who "did more for music" as you put it yourself.

I do recognise the impact MJ has had on the music world, but to be saying he did more than anybody else for music is simply untrue.
    Sir Molle wrote: »
    Elvis was revolutionary because his style was heavily influenced by what black musicians at the time were doing and he brought that to a white audience in a largely segregated America. Michael Jackson on the other hand was black and he created his own style of music and took the world.

Indeed Elvis was revolutionary for the reasons mentioned above, and also because he made some of the greatest music ever.

Michael Jackson has pretty much singlehandedly shaped modern Pop/RnB. You will be hard pressed to find a modern artist who has not been in some way influenced by Jackson. Whether it is through the his revolution of the music video, or adopting some element of his style or dancing in their performances. Michael Jackson has changed modern music easily as much as Elvis or the Beatles if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe Jackson did more for music than Elvis?

Yes, that's why I said it.
    I wouldn't consider myself to be a big Elvis fan, but for someone not to appreciate what he did for music and to say Jackson has done more for music is something I would strongly disagree with. Elvis bought together music from both sides of the colour line, and brought 'rock and roll' to a global audience, although some would rightly argue Chuck Berry was the true inventor of the genre. Elvis is a true cultural icon and still remains the biggest selling single artist of all time.

And I personally believe Jackson fits into this category too.
    Others would put James Brown, Ray Charles, Bob Dylan, Hendrix, The Beatles, and a few others artists well before Jackson, who "did more for music" as you put it yourself.

I said he did more for music than Elvis did, I'd agree that most of the listed artists above did more for music than Jackson but then that isn't the topic of conversation here.
    I do recognise the impact MJ has had on the music world, but to be saying he did more than anybody else for music is simply untrue.
    Indeed Elvis was revolutionary for the reasons mentioned above, and also because he made some of the greatest music ever.

Can't complain here, different strokes. As I said, I'm a huge Elvis fan and I do recognise what he did for music but I personally believe MJ did more.

Michael Jackson has pretty much singlehandedly shaped modern Pop/RnB. You will be hard pressed to find a modern artist who has not been in some way influenced by Jackson. Whether it is through the his revolution of the music video, or adopting some element of his style or dancing in their performances. Michael Jackson has changed modern music easily as much as Elvis or the Beatles if not more.

'Thriller' was obviously an influential album, but no where near as influential as 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely' or 'Velvet Underground & Nico' for that matter.

The Beatles are indisputably the most influential group, ever. They've amassed more classic albums than any other group/artist ever. Head and shoulders above anyone else!

Elvis did more for Rock 'n roll than any artist, ever. If anyone doesn't acknowledge the impact he has had on popular music, then I don't know...

Bob Dylan is another artist who has influenced more modern day artists than Jackson, no question about it. There's a lot more to music than Timberlake, R Kelly and the like.

Michael Jackson/Quincy Jones had their moment, and I'm not disputing they haven't had a huge influence on popy/modern R&B 'chart type' acts. But no way "Michael Jackson has changed modern music easily as much as Elvis or the Beatles if not more" as stated. No way.

I've read a few interviews with Amy Winehouse (a very credible R&B musician), and interestingly she didn't mention Jackson as an influence at all. I have a Soul Britannia dvd (must dig that out) with her being interviewed, and she talked about a whole array of musicians and didn't mention Michael Jackson once.

Are all of Amy Winehouse's music videos footage of her singing on stage and nothing else? If not, that can be directly credited to Michael Jackson's revolution of the music video.

• Advertisement

Can't complain here, different strokes. As I said, I'm a huge Elvis fan and I do recognise what he did for music but I personally believe MJ did more.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree (hugely).

It's more a case of you just being completely wrong.

'Thriller' was obviously an influential album, but no where near as influential as 'Sgt Pepper's Lonely' or 'Velvet Underground & Nico' for that matter.

The Beatles are indisputably the most influential group, ever. They've amassed more classic albums than any other group/artist ever. Head and shoulders above anyone else!

Can't argue with that.
    Elvis did more for Rock 'n roll than any artist, ever. If anyone doesn't acknowledge the impact he has had on popular music, then I don't know...

Biggest differences between Elvis & Jackson is that Elvis was a well managed "act" with an incredible voice & look who was pretty much told what to sing & do by his manager. He did it all first and he was the King, no doubt about that but his creative intput was very minimal. All of his songs were written by various songwriters and his early image was very much controlled (as well as his finances unfortunately :() by Col. Parker.

Jackson on the other hand was a much more creative performer who, once he went solo crafted his song, music & performances (live & in videos) in a way that has shaped pop music since the late 70's.
    Bob Dylan is another artist who has influenced more modern day artists than Jackson, no question about it.

Pah!! Dylan is a big fraud and as fake as Milli Vanilli :mad: He was nothing but a Pete Seeger wannabe who got lucky because he was in the right place at the right time during the cultural revolution in America.

He should be prosecuted under the trade description act, calls himself a singer songwriter who can't sing a feckin note and writes utter drivel.

Most who says they are influenced by that pile of sh1te do so because they think it's cool to name drop Dylan when they are being interviewed.
    There's a lot more to music than Timberlake, R Kelly and the like.

100% correct but as Jackson was labelled the "King of Pop" these are the type of acts you would associate with the style that Jackson created.
    Michael Jackson/Quincy Jones had their moment, and I'm not disputing they haven't had a huge influence on popy/modern R&B 'chart type' acts. But no way "Michael Jackson has changed modern music easily as much as Elvis or the Beatles if not more" as stated. No way.

Have to agree with you there. Jacko has influenced a certain genre much more than Elvis or The Beatles but not modern music as a whole.
    I've read a few interviews with Amy Winehouse (a very credible R&B musician),

That is very much a matter of opinion.
    It's more a case of you just being completely wrong.

Not true (apart from the Dylan bit), you just have different views.

^^Good post keefg! Points well made. I could argue with you about the Dylan thing, but it would be just a waste of time. We'd just end up going around in circles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

horses for courses, Dylan is overrated IMHO, there were four contributing Beatles - John, Paul, George, George - and I'm a huge Beatles fan, Elvis looked good and sang good, but did not write.
    Michael did it as a child star through to teenage years via J5 and the Jacksons, sculpted modern music with OTW and Thriller, the moves, the songs, the videos, the universal appeal, all by the age of circa 26 by 1984, peaked tour wise with the Bad concerts, peaked musically and creatively with Thriller, but could still bring isolated moments of genius through to his last recordings.
    The Beatles had each other to egg on, Elvis did what he was told (movies and no touring outside the US), Bob D collapsed soon after peppers.
    Michael did it all on his own, the mixture of R&B/Soul/Pop/Rock, had the looks (early 80's), and noone could move like him.
    All in all, he was #1 IMHO for some of the reasons above, but you had to be a certain age in the early 1980's to form that opinion.
    Today's generation just won't get it.
    To each his own.
    Biggest downside was his inevitable slide from the peak years, but there was no way I was expecting Black Thursday the 25th, so wrong and he deserved more of a life, so much more, that heart gave so much over the years and I for one will truly never get over his departure.
    RIP the greatest ever.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I could argue with you about the Dylan thing, but it would be just a waste of time. We'd just end up going around in circles.

LOL :D I think you could be right there.

As you can probably guess I am not a fan of Mr. Zimmerman (he was such a fake he even changed his name to hide his ethnicity) and nothing anyone says will change my mind where he is concerned.

So let's not go round & round and you can stay in the "I Love Bob" camp and I'll stick to the "I Hate Bob" camp :D

Edit: Ooo....almost forgot what this thread was about. RIP Michael and thanks for the memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

His albums and singles are all back in the charts

Man In The Mirror is expected to reach No. 1 in the singles chart

JP Liz wrote: »
    His albums and singles are all back in the charts

Man In The Mirror is expected to reach No. 1 in the singles chart

Anyone like to take a punt on which Jacko song will be this years Christmas No.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

keefg wrote: »
    Anyone like to take a punt on which Jacko song will be this years Christmas No.1?
    I'd say there are numerous producers working on MJ influenced/sampled songs at the moment, just like there were went Tupac/Biggie popped their clogs.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd say there are numerous producers working on MJ influenced/sampled songs at the moment, just like there were went Tupac/Biggie popped their clogs.

Good point, or someone somewhere will dig up some "long lost, never released" material that's been sitting in some studio basement.

Maybe we'll have another Tupac on our hands, sure didn't "he" release more material after his death?

Advertisement