Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for buying a 2nd hand car and procedures

• 25-06-2009 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi all,

I'm a new resident to Ireland and have a few questions about buying 2nd hand car from a dealer and the subsequent administration things.

Anything to be aware of when buying the car? (apart from the usual mechanical things, finance owing, NCT etc). The dealer I am thinking of is quite reputable which helps.

Do I need to arrange insurance BEFORE I pick up the car?

From what I understand the dealer will give me a RF100A or RF100B Motor tax application form. I then have to go to the motor taxes offices with: form, registration documnet, insurance certificate & NCT certificate).

Who usually pays the 6 month/yearly motor tax based on CO2 g/km? The dealer or me?

If I"ve forgotten anything please let me know - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

any car 05 or older should have an nct. eg if you buy a 05 car it will have to be tested this year if it has not been all ready and a 04 car should have about 1 years test remaining. it is up to you to tax and insure the car when u buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You need to arrange insurance before picking up the car - you need an insurance disc (displayed in windscreen) to drive the car. Insurers can give you a temporary disc if needed (though I think there may be alternatives, not sure).

You need to get the change of ownership part of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (VLC or VRC) filled out and sent off - it is up to the seller to do this (probably a good idea to witness them filling it in). I don't think you can tax it until you get the VLC posted back to you. If there's still a valid tax disc on the car you can use that, and should get notificiation by post when it runs out.

More info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle (note registration procudure is not the same as I described depending on date of registration)

A car registered (for the first time in Ireland) before 1st July 2008 will be taxed on engine displacement, not CO2 emissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Motor tax or Registration documents:
    The dealer will already have what is called the Vehicle Licencing Cert with the previous owner's name and address on it. Both the dealer and you fill out the change of ownership section, the dealer then posts it off to the Department of the Enviroment in Co. Clare. About 3 to 4 weeks later a new VLC will be posted out to you. It will have your name and address on it which means you are the new registered owner of the car.

Check when the tax is due on the car, it is a small round colured disc on the windscreen with the date on it. If the tax is up then once you have the new VLC you can then go into your local motor tax office and tax the car. If the car is registered before 2008 then the motor tax is based on engine size not Co2 emmissions.

Insurance:
    You are not allowed to drive a car on a public place without having insurance so arrange your insurance cover prior to collecting the car. The insurance company will issue you an insurance cert and disc which must be displayed on the front windscreen.

NCT:
    This is a test of roadworthiness and has to be done on cars of 4 years or older every 2 years, if the car is 05 or older then it should have a current NCT cert and disc. If the car is 05 and hasn't been tested yet then it can be done upto 6 months before it is due. If so make sure that putting the car through the test is a condition of sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 funkyr

Thanks all. When I test drove it I didnt notice any discs in the front windscreen - I guess I should clarify when the tax is due with the dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If the car is out of tax you only need to pay tax from the month of purchase also so make sure you get a written receipt and all that from the dealer

• Advertisement
Advertisement