Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mumps - fat face takes on a whole new meaning

• 26-06-2009 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hey guys

I'm female and 26. I have the mumps and I've been off work since Monday with it. Very very sore this morning - it's thursday and it started last friday - is this right? I made another appointment for the doctor tomorrow because my ear was so so sore. I took a difene tablet because it's an anti inflam and it took the swelling right down so right now I feel ok except for that weird feeling u get after u eat - not a mad pain but a strange feeling. I'm wondering if i'm wasting my time going to doc. I also only had unilateral mumps on the right side. Yesterday I could feel my left jaw swelling up aswell and this morning it was really really bad.

Anyway I know there's like an epidemic in Ireland at the moment (And I have the MMR when I was 12) Just looking for other ppls stories who might have mumps at the moment and how long it lasted for them. I'm getting cabin fever stuck in the apartment. Planned to go out with hubby on sat night for a meal and I was realllly looking forward to it... but if the pain is the same as it was this morning I won't be going anywhere

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Try the biology and med forum I'd say.

Or just google it and look up the mayo clinic or something like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I got the mumps four years ago when I was 26 and to be honest there isn't a whole lot you can do. All the doctor could give me was pain killers, I was taking plenty of them. Try not to eat things that will involve producing saliva (chewy stuff) as it's the salivary glands that are swollen, so it's gonna hurt when they are put to work... soup and icecream all the way. Had it for 10 days to two weeks or so. Started on one side of my face and then spread to the other. I had the whole hamster look going on there for a while :) You've probably got over the worst of it if it's spread to the other side of your face at this stage, I was in work for most of it cos I didn't know it was mumps to start, I thought it was a tooth problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

Thanks a million - no i'm not male and the hubby had mumps already - we don't want it affecting his swimmers!!!

Yea it's a pain in the h*le - very strange sensation!! I look mad. I look like a chipmonk. Went to the supermarket yesterday (Day 6 which I believe is after the most infectious stage) and I was wrecked, sweating like a paedo in a barny suit and looked like the michelin man. I was mortified. I was so so tired last night lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

No medical advice online - please go and see your GP if you have concerns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement