Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim Free mobile phones.

Options
  • 26-06-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

As I'm in the market for buying a new phone I'm currently looking at the option of buying a sim free mobile even though I know they tend to cost more.

Basically, question is, where is the best place to buy a sim free mobile phone. Would it be the likes of Pixmania/Expanys or is there somewhere else.

Would it also be possible to buy a phone from the like of O2/Vodafone/Three/Meteor and get it unlocked straight away, eg If the phone I wanted was only available on O2 would it be possible to unlock it straight away to start using it with a different network.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their is no best place, they all provide the same phones and are obligded to the same terms and conditions, basically it comes down to where you can get it at the best deal.

As CM already said, clove, expansys are quite popular, phonesonline.ie is another one (has mixed reviews) or then shops that sell sim free phones which there are quite a few in dublin.

You can do as CM and get a phone unlocked in a shop, or you can get a phone unlocked from the network but you would be buying into a monthly contract, but thats not really a sim free phone.

Do you have a certain phone in mind, if you dont mind me askin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Some of the UK places on Ebay, notably ECell, have "new" unlocked phones that are actually from returns with the 7 day cooling off period and that kind of thing. These are somewhat cheaper than the new unopened variety with Expansys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

There's some places listed in the FAQ too you can check out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59477812&postcount=2

Random wrote: »
    There's some places listed in the FAQ too you can check out
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59477812&postcount=2

Amazon and mobileFun dont ship phones to Roi so shouldn't they be off that list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Davy wrote: »
    Amazon and mobileFun dont ship phones to Roi so shouldn't they be off that list
    Amazon recently started shipping electronics and from looking at the mobilefun website they do also?

Random wrote: »
    Amazon recently started shipping electronics and from looking at the mobilefun website they do also?

Amazon did start shipping electronics but it excludes a few items, one of which is mobile phones.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=524836#mags

MobileFun ship to ireland but as for sim free phones i dont think they do:
    mobilefuneverythingmobi.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

phones online is good ive bought a few from them with no trouble at all or you can collect yourself
    pixmania i would not buy from them heard to much bad press
    expansys would be an altenative
    or fm mobiles candem street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 nexuslad

another one is www.fonezonline.ie

i bought my nexus one from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Davy wrote: »
    Amazon did start shipping electronics but it excludes a few items, one of which is mobile phones.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=524836#mags

MobileFun ship to ireland but as for sim free phones i dont think they do:
    mobilefuneverythingmobi.png

think they now ship to ireland

Advertisement