Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good songs where the cover is better know than the original

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Christy Moore/Declan Synnot's version of Shine on you crazy diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 really reilly

look up a girl called...wallis bird and the song, just cant enough, on you tube,class or what

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

DT100 wrote: »
    Christy Moore/Declan Synnot's version of Shine on you crazy diamond.

Erm.....doubt if that is better known than the original :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 rathgorma

Rufus Wainwright superb version of Hallelujah
    Mary J Blige singing U2's One
    Hal Ketchum doing Past the Point of Rescue
    Mary Black improves every Jimmy mc Carthy song
    Jimi Hendrix,, All along the watchtower
    Eva Cassidy 'over the rainbow' but u cant beat Judy Garland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

You Really Got Me originally by The Kinks but most well known is the Van Halen version!

This cover here isn't that well known but it is amazing it's an acoustic cover of Boyz N Tha Hood by Eazy-E!

I just can't stop listening to this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

China Girl by Iggy Pop - Bowie did the cover version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

It must be love - Madness / Labbi Siffre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

keefg wrote: »
    Never heard of this one?? Would have thought it was much more well known than Driving Home For Christmas.

Chris Rea released it in 1978 and made the top 10 in the US. Elkie released it in the early 80's and made her a star in Britain. Lots of brilliant Chris Rea stuff out there (except for Driving Home for Christmas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Mad World - originally by Tears for Fears, covered by Michael Andrews and Gary Jules

Live and Let Die - originally by Wings, covered by Guns n' Roses

American Woman - originally by The Guess Who, covered by LEnny Kravitz

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

keefg wrote: »
    Red Red Wine by UB40 was much better known than Neil Diamond's version.

Come to think of it, every cover that UB40 did (and they did a lot) was probably better known that the original.

I knew diamond wrote it but i didn't think he ever released it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I suppose most younger people would know The Fugee's version of Killing Me Softly better than Roberta Flack's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Tragedy - Steps (original by the BeeGees)

I hated the original not being a BeeGees fan but the cover was so inappropriately bouncy it could have been Animaniacs.:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

davylee wrote: »

You're right, he never recorded it or released it, if i remember correctly.

Same story with daydream believer.

davylee wrote: »
    lordgoat wrote: »
    You're right, he never recorded it or released it, if i remember correctly.

T'was recorded & released by Diamond in 1968 according to Wiki.

Duckjob wrote: »
    It must be love - Madness / Labbi Siffre

Forgot about this one. I've been a huge Madness fan since I was a kid but I love Labbi's version.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭,mnb

well thanks all for replying. some deadly songs there i downloaded a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Probably one of the most unknown originals ever:

Robin S with the original Show Me Love:

And the Michael Mind remix that followed (I know it's not technically a cover but still, the original nineties version by Robin has been all but forgotten!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    no they dont , i for one didnt know six pence non the richer had any hits other than KISS ME
    Either did I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Placebo did a really good cover of Running up that Hill (Kate Bush) and a decent cover of Bigmouth strikes again (the Smiths), they released a whole disk of covers with Sleeping with Ghosts (I think it was that one anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cinnamon girl covered by Type O Negative, original Neil Young.

• Advertisement

cashback wrote: »
    I suppose most younger people would know The Fugee's version of Killing Me Softly better than Roberta Flack's.
    Ah, you have to be having a laugh. Robert Flack's version is a pure soul gem whereas the Fugees version is cack. 'One time' etc:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

orestes wrote: »
    Placebo did a really good cover of Running up that Hill (Kate Bush) and a decent cover of Bigmouth strikes again (the Smiths), they released a whole disk of covers with Sleeping with Ghosts (I think it was that one anyway)

Which reminds me - Futureheads covering Kate Bush's Hounds of Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Crowcifer

RE: Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. For me The best version of that song is by John Cale.

Trying to think of some more...

For heavy metal - Hammerfall recorded a version of a Warlord song called "Child of the Damned". I guess the Hammerfall version is better known.

Dream Theater are crazy for it. But then again it's unlikely that any of their covers are more famous than the originals - Genesis,Rush,Zeppelin, Purple, Floyd...

Speaking of Deep Purple - the late 60s line up ('MK I' for nerds and devotees) had a tasty line in covers that included The Beatles, Hendrix, Ike and Tina and so on. But also you have a song by Joe South that they made very popular indeed..."Hush"! Later covered again by the MK II line up and eventually covered again by...Kula Shaker. (Anyone remember that tosspiece Crispin Mills?)

Black Sabbath's first lp has a great,soulful bluesy cover called The Warning. One of their finest tracks in my opinion. The original was writted by a band called Retaliation and on that same Sabbath album there's a more famous cover: Evil Woman originally by a band called Crow.

Of course if you start talking about old heavy metal, the blues influence is massive and I guess so are the numbers of covers, so we'll leave that there for now,but just to sign off with:

Blue Cheer's great recording of Summertime Blues:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

my favourite nirvana song for years was the man who sold the world.was suprised to hear a while back it was originally done by bowie (before my time)

that infinity dance track that was huge the past few months was originaaly a dance track from the early nineties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNlDczS4YK4

in fact a lot of the big commercial dance tracks in recent times use samples from house tracks of the nineties.calabria is another example of a old track thats been used in loads of new versions the biggest one being the alex gaudino track destination unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

niallon wrote: »
    Probably one of the most unknown originals ever:

Robin S with the original Show Me Love:

I do djing a fare bit and whether it's pubs or parties, Robin S's original Show Me Love is requested but every time without fail

As we're on dance music roger sanchez's Another chance was originally a toto song - i wont hold you back - think that was the name

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

rathgorma wrote: »
    Rufus Wainwright superb version of Hallelujah
    Mary J Blige singing U2's One
    Hal Ketchum doing Past the Point of Rescue
    Mary Black improves every Jimmy mc Carthy song
    Jimi Hendrix,, All along the watchtower
    Eva Cassidy 'over the rainbow' but u cant beat Judy Garland

Ugh! Horrible. The original version is brilliant.

oldyouth wrote: »
    Ah, you have to be having a laugh. Robert Flack's version is a pure soul gem whereas the Fugees version is cack. 'One time' etc:p

Where did I say The Fugee's version was better? Read the thread title...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Flight19

Cocaine covered by Eric Clapton originally by JJ Cale.

cashback wrote: »
    Where did I say The Fugee's version was better? Read the thread title...
    OK the thread title is better know(n) than the original rather than a better version, but to my generation Roberta Flack would be the better known artist

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    OK the thread title is better know(n) than the original rather than a better version, but to my generation Roberta Flack would be the better known artist

Yeah well i'd agree that Flack's version is better even though The Fugee's The Score was the first proper album I ever bought! :o

Advertisement