Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good songs where the cover is better know than the original

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Betty Davis Eyes
    Original by Jackie De Shannon

More famously covered by Kim Carnes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

,mnb wrote: »
    Heres the idea. Give me some songs we all know but didn't know they were actually a cover ie. the cover is more well known than the original. I just think its nice to go back to the original and hear what it was like. Sometimes its better.

Heres some of mine
    I will always love you - Whitney Heuston (cover), Dolly Parton (original)
    The first cut is the deapest - Rod Stewart (cover), Cat Stevens (original)
    Everlasting Love - U2 (cover), Robert Knight (original)

Keep em coming.

There have been a few covers of Everlasting Love. I thought that Robert Knight's version was also a cover and that The Love Affair had the original version. I know their version was in the sixties, because it was on one of those free CDs.

Other examples of songs where covers are better known:
    I Shot The Sheriff - Eric Clapton (cover), Bob Marley (original)

Blinded by The Light - Mannfred Mann's Earth Band (cover), Bruce Springsteen (original)

Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds (cover), Bob Dylan (original)

Something's Got A Hold of My Heart - Marc Almond and Gene Pitney (cover), Gene Pitney (original) ... the first was a new recording in case you wonder

Spirit in The Sky - Doctor and The Medics (cover), Norman Greenbaum (original)

Knock on Wood - Amy Stewart (cover), Eddie Floyd (original)

Blame It On The Boogie - The Jacksons (cover), Mick Jackson (original)...he was German and was the writer of the song. Both versions were out about the same time... I kid you not!

Ever Fallen In Love With Someone You Should'nt Have Fallen In Love With - The Fine Young Cannibals (cover), The Buzzcocks (original)

McArthur's Park - Donna Summer (cover), Richard Harris (original)

Dear Prudence - Siouxsie and The Banshees (cover), The Beatles (original)

Tears of A Clown - The Beat (cover), Smokie Robinson and The Miracles (original)....or at least it used to be more known, maybe not anymore

Some more covers better known than the originals:

Wherever I Lay My Hat - Paul Young (cover), Smokie Robinson & The Miracles (original)

Dancing In The Moonlight - Toploader (cover), King Harvest (original)

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft - The Carpenters (cover), Klaatu (original)

Fire - The Pointer Sisters (cover), Robert Gordon (original recording). It was written by Bruce Sprinsteen but it was some years later before he recorded his own version of the song.

Give Me Just a Little More Time - Dexys Midnight Runners/Kylie Minogue (covers), Chairmen of the Board (original)

Happy Talk - Captain Sensible (cover), originally from musical "South Pacific"

Dirty Old Town - The Pogues (cover), The Spinners (first popular recording). It was written by Ewan McColl but I do not know if he had a version of it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

newton faulkner -tear drops, original by massive attack.
    Deftones - simple man, original by lynyrd skynyrd and shinedown cover simple man too which is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

"Real Wild Child (Wild One)" by Iggy Pop, originally by Johnny O'Keefe in 1958. Another notable version by Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

''Freak Like Me'' by the Sugababes, originally quite a good mid 90's r&b number by Adina Howard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

bus77 wrote: »
    ''Freak Like Me'' by the Sugababes, originally quite a good mid 90's r&b number by Adina Howard.

Only the lyrics were from that song, the music was all taken from Gary Numan's "Are 'Friends' Electric?"

Of course, the boybands have done a number of covers, some of which are more well-known than the originals.

Examples that come to mind, with a bit of help from here:
    Baby Can I Hold You Tonight - Boyzone (cover), Tracy Chapman (original)
    No Matter What - Boyzone (cover), Musical - Whistle Down the Wind (original)
    Mandy - Westlife (cover), Barry Manilow (original)
    Father and Son - Boyzone (cover), Cat Stevens (original)
    Words - Boyzone (cover), The Bee Gees (original)...cover slightly more known
    You Raise Me Up - Westlife (cover), Secret Garden with Brian Kennedy (original)
    Could It Be Magic - Take That (cover), Barry Manilow (original)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Wherever I Lay My Hat - Paul Young (cover), Smokie Robinson & The Miracles (original)

Written and first recorded by Marvin Gaye. Don't think Smokie recorded it.

A lot of stuff that was made famous by Paul Young were covers e.g.
    'Love of the Common People' by Nicky Thomas and 'Everytime you go Away' by Hall & Oates
    Fire - The Pointer Sisters (cover), Robert Gordon (original recording). It was written by Bruce Sprinsteen but it was some years later before he recorded his own version of the song.

Was actually written for Elvis, but he died shortly after the song was sent to him and never recorded it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

both guns n roses covers, but so much better than original.
    live and let die (original-paul mccartney(i think) )
    knockin on heavens door (original-bob dylan)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Which reminds me - Futureheads covering Kate Bush's Hounds of Love.

That is one of the worst covers ever. Shame on you for mentioning it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

One Day at a Time - Gloria original Kris Kristopherson:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Run by Snow Patrol most people I talk to really think it was Leona Lewis's song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Flight19

davylee wrote: »
    I knew diamond wrote it but i didn't think he ever released it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysxw7EON5xc

Dunno if somebody showed you this yet. WARNING its brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Flight19

M&S* wrote: »
    Run by Snow Patrol most people I talk to really think it was Leona Lewis's song

I think it's time for you to pick new people to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Man who sold the world, I think Nirvanna did a better version than Bowie in their MTV unpluged session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Man who sold the world, I think Nirvanna did a better version than Bowie in their MTV unpluged session.

in fairness the Bowie verion was recorded for around a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

Flight19 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysxw7EON5xc

Dunno if somebody showed you this yet. WARNING its brutal.
    never heard that version.much better imo.diamond's voice is special. nice one flight19.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Police and Thieves by The Clash

originally Junior Murvin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Here's a weird one: You'll Never Walk Alone was made famous by Gerry & the Pacemakers, but the original is from the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical Carousel.

Some others I know:
    - Jealous Guy by Bryan Ferry (John Lennon)
    - Take Me To The River by Talking Heads (Al Green)

Lastly: I don't know whether this cover is more famous than the original, but I like it anyway: Mark Ronson's version of Radiohead's Just: :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Heard this tune during the film Hancock. Found out the name and listened to it on You Tube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcE8YWdGtnI&feature=related

saw a cover in the 'Related Videos' section and I'm not sure which one I'd prefer but the cover is excellent being just one instrument.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErsxefBwG0E&feature=related

Would LOVE to find the tabs

• Advertisement
Advertisement