Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrongly Infracted

Options
  • 26-06-2009 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I posted the following on the Michael Jackson thread in After Hours

"Michael Jackson never "molested" any kids. He brought a kid to his house, loaded him up on wine and pills and then sucked the kid's dick. And the child had the nerve to call that abuse"

My post was snipped and I was infracted. The reason given was "inappropriate language". The After Hours charter says nothing about bad language. The word dick isn't covered by the swear filters. We all know that bad language is used on AH and people don't bat an eyelid. People actually bypass the filters! So that's the "inappropriate language" dealt with.

Now, I believe the mod actually had a problem with the joke I posted. For the sake of levity, I insinuated that Michael Jackson was a child molester. Is that worth of an infraction? Another AH mod clearly doesn't think so. A guy started this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055603781
    The guy calls him a no good kiddie fiddler. Did he get infracted? No. His thread was locked and that was that.

So I think a red card for the post I made is totally over the top. I sent a PM to the mod and she said the infraction stands. Basically, I think it should be overturned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The bad news is that I don't. It was inappropriate (not different than "bad language") content for that thread, at this moment in time.

As an infraction is nothing more than a "oi, watch out!" type of nudge, there is no reason to overturn it. You've learned where the line is now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It will not be overturned.
    Inappropriate language does not always mean bad language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

What annoys me is the inconsistent moderating. People have often gotten away with far worse than this. There were no warnings given at the time I posted it. I'm obviously not going to win here. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

So you saw something much worse and didn't report it?

It's nigh on impossible for anyone to read every post in AH.
    One thread had about 120 posts in it and I just spotted that someone had called another user an idiot or something like that.
    This was only the 4th post and nobody had reported it.
    That person would have gotten away with it had I not seen it myself.

The point is, there are over 1 million posts in AH. Thousands more every single day. There is no way to read every single one of those posts and that's one of the reasons for the report post function.

I suggest you use it in future. That way we can be a bit more consistent in our moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Exactly as Terry has said. Mods of AH cannot read every single post in a fast paced forum, hence why you can make thier job easier by reporting a post.
    There is no point giving out sh1te about moderation when you dont even let mods know.

There is a fire in a building, do you wait for someone else to come along and hit the sounder? No I didnt think so!

You got an infraction. You're lucky its just that. There was a time when a small temp ban was handed out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement