Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot-wide jellyfish @ Dollymount

Options
  • 26-06-2009 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭

There were a good few purple jellyfish on Dollymount Strand earlier, mostly around the width of a cup.

This fecker made me stop and gawk in horror...

Obviously I felt repulsed enough to take a pic

That's an adult size runner for comparison :eek:

It is what it's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

thats a moon jellyfish. The purple "bits" are their gonads and they barely sting. The worst sting would be a fraction as bad as a nettle sting.

Surfing last week down in cork the water was thick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Used to be loads out by Portmarnock a few years back when I used to frequent out there with the family.

Snap with the jeans, uniques' finest!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

gerk86 wrote: »
    the water was thick with them.

Was out sailing off Portmarnock on Wednesday. There was fcek all wond so I spent some time paying attention to the jellyfish. There were loads of them - more than I ever noticed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Smaller lads down at Balbriggan last week.

jellyfishjune09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Smaller lads down at Balbriggan last week.

Christ! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

ahh.. remember years ago, being in a small harbour down the west, when a load of these floated in. The mother of all "jellyfish" fights followed.., great craic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Great pic, Bluetonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

gerk86 wrote: »
    thats a moon jellyfish. The purple "bits" are their gonads and they barely sting. The worst sting would be a fraction as bad as a nettle sting.

Surfing last week down in cork the water was thick with them.

Fizzy, numb, burning, what kind of sensation..? [rubbing foreams at the thought of it..]

So primal, amazing life cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

That pic gives me the shivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Which beach in Balbriggan is that Bluetonic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

pithater1 wrote: »
    Which beach in Balbriggan is that Bluetonic?
    Blackrock beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

No offence OP but I thought you were gonna impress us with a jellyfish a foot long, I've seen jelliers bigger than my shoe plenty of times.

Beautiful pic Bluetonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Ivona Tinkle

I was in dollymount today and the jellyfish were everywhere never seen anything like it and my neice thought nothing better than putting them into buckets lucky she didnt get stung

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

creggy wrote: »
    That pic gives me the shivers...

+1 jesus christ. Not a fan of them

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

I was out swimming in Clogherhead Beach yesterday and there were quite a few in the the water. I was tempted to grab one to see how painful a sting is. They freak me out when I'm swimming. Has anyone here ever been stung by one?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

It feels like a nettle sting - a sort of painful itching - but the pain can vary from mild to severe and can last a few hours. An unlucky few can react very severely and can come down with anaphylactic shock - an extremely dangerous allergic reaction that needs hospitalisation FAST.

The clear ones won't sting - stay away from the brown ones though.

The good side is though that it's generally thought to be a harbinger of good weather. Here's hoping.

Advertisement